2021 Worlds Pairs FS - Does Your Mother Know That You Cough?

Karen-W

An article I just read pointed out that this is Russia's first pairs gold in 8 years. Crazy to think about for those of us who grew up with the USSR and then Russia's pairs dominance.
It's only their 4th in the last 20 years. Empress Aliona was a force to be reckoned with (6 titles between Szolkowy & Massot) as well as the string of great Chinese teams (S/Z -3, P/T - 1, S/H - 2) and a couple of Canadian teams (S/P in 2001, D/R in 2015-16).

Totmianina/Marinin won twice in 2004-05, and then Volosozhar/Trankov in 2013.

Cherub721

YEAH!
It
An article I just read pointed out that this is Russia's first pairs gold in 8 years. Crazy to think about for those of us who grew up with the USSR and then Russia's pairs dominance.

It's nice that now they have three strong teams again... any one of which could win a Nationals, GPF, Euros, Worlds, or Olympic gold. It's been a long time since they had that depth.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
I initially thought it was in your face arrogant to skate to We Are The Champions, when you haven't actually won anything, but then the skating was fairly dazzling so when they finished, I thought they very well could be at the end of the day, and here we are. I mean is it really arrogance when you pull it off? Very high risk though.

Jammers

Well the US had the first chance in probably decades to get 3 teams to Worlds and the Olympics next year and of course they couldn't get it done. It really was doable considering how weak the field is in Pairs right now even just a year before the Olympics when the depth should be a lot better.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Was it doable? The top 5 are pretty strong pairs with three of them being very experienced and being together forever. Even the leftovers have been together for a while now. The other two are young Russian pairs and you know how strong Russian pairs are. Then you have Kirsten Moore-Towers/Mariano and Della-Monica/Guarise who are strong pairs with solid international resume.

tony

Well the US had the first chance in probably decades to get 3 teams to Worlds and the Olympics next year and of course they couldn't get it done. It really was doable considering how weak the field is in Pairs right now even just a year before the Olympics when the depth is usually a lot better.
Honestly, it was certainly within reach especially if both US pairs delivered in their SPs and gave themselves a cushion, but I think people either came in with the mentality that A) S/K were going to be immediate serious threats because of two good domestic showings, never having gotten scored by international judges/PCS-wise or B) there was no chance in hell because US pairs just apparently are terrible.

I do agree that this World Championship was extremely weak almost all-around except for some of the middle-tier LPs and of course the top skaters, and the best chance they will probably have in quite some time was now.
I'm kind of :confused: about the arrogance viewpoint (using we are the champions). I think there are many skaters who use that soundtrack. Who are in no way close to being gold medalists.
I don't get it either. It's not a literal interpretation, it's a song they like and part of a Queen medley to begin with. I don't even think it's slightly cocky, and I don't think they came into this season even imagining they'd have this kind of run. But, they are the champions and now everyone can sleep better knowing their song matched their result.

PRlady

It's only their 4th in the last 20 years. Empress Aliona was a force to be reckoned with (6 titles between Szolkowy & Massot) as well as the string of great Chinese teams (S/Z -3, P/T - 1, S/H - 2) and a couple of Canadian teams (S/P in 2001, D/R in 2015-16).

Totmianina/Marinin won twice in 2004-05, and then Volosozhar/Trankov in 2013.
Honestly, I don't think either Tot/Mar or Vol/Trankov were equal to the great Russian pairs of the '90s. Tot/Mar had the expressiveness of an anesthetized armadillo and Vol/Trank got together too late in their careers to figure out their style and get some non-drecky programs. My beautiful Susie coulda/shoulda/woulda been a champion but the chips didn't fall her way. And two years after they retired, can anyone remember one thing about Zag whatsherface?

Russia is loaded now even if Tarasova/Morozov continue their sad-sack stream of never living up to their talent. But it's not like there were great Russian pairs in the last generation who were done out of the medals.

mtnskater

Frankly, I’m relieved the U.S. got two pairs. Three was a bit of a pipe dream with the U.S. team consisting of a new pair who have not been skating together long and our third ranked pair team. I might have had more hope if Calalang & Johnson had gone. When is the last time C-G/L hit all of their elements clean, especially the jumps? That said I think they did about the best they could do. I’ll have higher expectations of Kneirim & Frazier for next season.

As a fan of Tarasova & Morozov, I was really hoping this could finally be their year. I am surprised they didn’t even make the podium though. 😥

Sui & Han I also love, but they seemed just slightly ragged and not as sharp and trained. Still, silver medal is great.

M&G definitely deserved the win, skating the cleanest with the most technical difficulty. I see room for improvement in their unison and skating as one. They are really young and no doubt will continue improving those elements.

B&K had the best short program of the competition which obviously got into their heads for the free skate. They looked a bit off, made mistakes and also her posture bugged me in the free but not in the short. They’ll be back guns blazing next year.

Nice to see the Canadians do their job in the free and for the Italians to perform much better too.

Didn’t Japan get two spots? Do they have a second pair team that can meet world minimums?

Karen-W

Frankly, I’m relieved the U.S. got two pairs. Three was a bit of a pipe dream with the U.S. team consisting of a new pair who have not been skating together long and our third ranked pair team. I might have had more hope if Calalang & Johnson had gone. When is the last time C-G/L hit all of their elements clean, especially the jumps? That said I think they did about the best they could do. I’ll have higher expectations of Kneirim & Frazier for next season.

As a fan of Tarasova & Morozov, I was really hoping this could finally be their year. I am surprised they didn’t even make the podium though. 😥

Sui & Han I also love, but they seemed just slightly ragged and not as sharp and trained. Still, silver medal is great.

M&G definitely deserved the win, skating the cleanest with the most technical difficulty. I see room for improvement in their unison and skating as one. They are really young and no doubt will continue improving those elements.

B&K had the best short program of the competition which obviously got into their heads for the free skate. They looked a bit off, made mistakes and also her posture bugged me in the free but not in the short. They’ll be back guns blazing next year.

Nice to see the Canadians do their job in the free and for the Italians to perform much better too.

Didn’t Japan get two spots? Do they have a second pair team that can meet world minimums?
Good Lord... People around here act like Calalang/Johnson are so much vastly superior to C-G/L that they would have... what? Finished 8th? 7th ahead of K/F? C/J are nervy skaters who aren't any stronger at landing their SBS jumps than pretty much any other US team. They had a great opportunity to win US Nats and couldn't walk through that door in January. Everyone is living off their one really great performance in Greensboro in 2020 but I'm struggling to imagine them beating any of the top 5 or even MT/M with a typical performance with at least one SBS jumping passed missed by one or both of them.

T/M did what they always do - crumble at a major international competition.

Agree about S/H, M/G and B/K.

Japan does not have a 2nd pair, even at the junior level. It's possible they could cobble one together but would that new pairing be capable of finishing top 3 at Nebelhorn (well, really, 2nd or 3rd since China's team will most likely win)? Not likely.

Jammers

People expected too much of K/F at this point in their partnership. A new team takes time to put it all together and not only that but this season hasn't been normal at all a new team needs to get out their and compete and they couldn't do that this season. A normal season would include 2 GP events maybe a Senior B then Nationals and 4CC. So instead of competing as many as five times they only skated twice at SA and Nationals. It would have been nice to have a chance at a 3rd spot but i think C/J will have the inside track for the 2nd spot because they have more upside then C/L who have maxed out. I really wish they hadn't backed out of Worlds because they would have finished higher then C/L and i bet they are kicking themselves for not going. Chances like these don't come along often and they now have made two World teams and not competed. Have they said why they didn't go to Worlds? To me it was a big mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information