2021 Worlds Pairs FS - Does Your Mother Know That You Cough?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
And they’re meant to be friends. You should be pleased for your friends.
I think people are overreacting to Boikova’s reaction. I wouldn’t judge her based on how she reacts immediately after a subpar performance that loses a world title. She’s bound to be disappointed. If, a day from now, she’s feeling more bitter and disappointed for herself than happy for M&G, then I’ll judge her.

becca

I think people are overreacting to Boikova’s reaction. I wouldn’t judge her based on how she reacts immediately after a subpar performance that loses a world title. She’s bound to be disappointed. If, a day from now, she’s feeling more bitter and disappointed for herself than happy for M&G, then I’ll judge her.
I think too folks should be allowed to be disappointed it’s her first big worlds she is not claiming she was robbed

Cherub721

YEAH!
B/K are feeling the fact that if this were a year ago it would have been them having this golden moment. I feel for them but they have developed a record of these microaggressions against M/G. Meanwhile I thought M/G did a very good job not celebrating their rivals mistakes and not celebrating until the win was settled.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Most of the time, she's pretty gracious. She was the first to congratulate T/M when they beat them at Russian championships. I gather from things Moskvina has said about who makes the decisions about who skates at her school, that there's some tension between the two pairs, which is understandable. But, she also says they will work together.

Karen-W

Sooo..since everyone is pretty confused about Olympic spots, can someone briefly summarise who is in and what is happening in Nebelhorn :p
If I get it correctly, Georgian pair is now in as of right, since US dropped to 2 spots?
There's some discussion going on in the GSD thread about it. No one is quite sure which pairs teams have confirmed spots through their Worlds' placements and which ones haven't.

SLIVER

Agree to disagree. Level 1 twist and Level 1 lift and still 3 PCS points better than other very similar teams? Everything looked shaky both days.
We agree but even if you wiped out that 3 points PCS they would still be ahead of the next team. K/F are behind them and were not any better, both their short and free were full of errors. The numbers might be high but everyone behind was worse and too far behind.

Karen-W

Agree to disagree. Level 1 twist and Level 1 lift and still 3 PCS points better than other very similar teams? Everything looked shaky both days.
The consolation is that next season will probably be close to back to normal and with a solid international season of experience under their belts, K/F aren't going to let the chance to move ahead of KMT slip away again.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I think the biggest travesty was MTM’s PCS scores in the SP. That should have been in the low 7s across the board, if not 6s. That was a 4-5 point reputation gift right there.

yeslek

Or maybe you can tell me who they should be behind?
To me teams with high PCS shouldn’t have lifts that look like their going to go down, miss that many levels both days and should have a good twist (not level one both days) Everything looked so shaky. I have bigger issues with how much they were over scored yesterday in comparison to the rest of the field.

yeslek

I think the biggest travesty was MTM’s PCS scores in the SP. That should have been in the low 7s across the board, if not 6s. That was a 4-5 point reputation gift right there.
Yes!! Exactly!!! They didn’t execute any element or anything in between well. Also a top 5 team shouldn’t get 2 level 1 twists, a level 1 lift and more lost levels.

Karen-W

Yes!! Exactly!!! They didn’t execute any element or anything in between well. Also a top 5 team shouldn’t get 2 level 1 twists, a level 1 lift and more lost levels.
Perhaps there should be a greater points differential on levels in the code then? I don't disagree with your position but it's a flaw in the code itself that a team can get away with such low levels and still place as high as 6th.

yeslek

We agree but even if you wiped out that 3 points PCS they would still be ahead of the next team. K/F are behind them and were not any better, both their short and free were full of errors. The numbers might be high but everyone behind was worse and too far behind.
Not if you add the extra PCS from both days.

This isn’t about K/F but if you are comparing it to them K/F errors were more contained (many other teams that placed ahead of them had similar jump issues) where MTM issues were just generally all around weaker.

Erin

To me teams with high PCS shouldn’t have lifts that look like their going to go down, miss that many levels both days and should have a good twist (not level one both days) Everything looked so shaky. I have bigger issues with how much they were over scored yesterday in comparison to the rest of the field.

You realize that lift quality is evaluated in GOE and the twist level has nothing to do with PCS, right?

There are specific criteria for PCS and last I checked, difficulty level of twist wasn’t on there, nor should it be.

yeslek

Perhaps there should be a greater points differential on levels in the code then? I don't disagree with your position but it's a flaw in the code itself that a team can get away with such low levels and still place as high as 6th.
I agree. They aren’t 100% tied but I really don’t see how you can be a top level pair team without wow pair elements. Similar to issues when H/D used to do well while not needing to care about levels.

yeslek

You realize that lift quality is evaluated in GOE and the twist level has nothing to do with PCS, right?

There are specific criteria for PCS and last I checked, difficulty level of twist wasn’t on there, nor should it be.
Yes. Which is why it frustrates me when Jason brown is held back but all of his elements are still wonderful looking. But like I said everything looked all around weaker. MTM is actually usually one of my favorite pairs! I’m just expressing frustration in how it doesn’t necessarily matter how people do. It’s not like they have Jason brown skating skills... or perfection everywhere but the twist.

Karen-W

Aaaaaand we have the first "experts" on the German fb fs fan group who say that the young Russian teams "are lacking pizzazz".

Excuse me? Have we seen the same competition? Mishina/Galliamov pretty much consist of 100% pizzazz.
I mean, they're not wrong if we're talking about T/M (not a "young" Russian team, but the criticism still applies). B/K - I love their SP but their FS is fairly bland, though an improvement over past programs.

Ananas Astra

Can you introduce me as Joker?
I mean, they're not wrong if we're talking about T/M (not a "young" Russian team, but the criticism still applies). B/K - I love their SP but their FS is fairly bland, though an improvement over past programs.
They explicitly meant the "young" pairs who turned senior after 2018.

SLIVER

I agree. They aren’t 100% tied but I really don’t see how you can be a top level pair team without wow pair elements. Similar to issues when H/D used to do well while not needing to care about levels.
I think you are making valid points and I can happily dissect all of the progs from both days (which I won't do). All I am saying is, when you look at the overall result, I would not have had any other couple that finished below them, above them.
K/F made a big mistake yesterday and today was pretty bad, they too had very inflated PCS in the short, for a very very empty program (understandable for a new pair). I would not have had the Italians ahead either, just like Mt/M they have massive weaknesses too, the throws are always landed on 2 feet and yesterday she just doubled.
Once again, your points are valid but if you sat down and judged it methodically, I don't see where the scandal is.
I mean D/G hit 8.75 yesterday, so everyone's marks are stupidly high.
CG/L had 3 doubles over the 2 programmes. That's it after that, there's no way in hell you can have the Japanese above MT/M, not this year.

Ananas Astra

Can you introduce me as Joker?
if I were Mishina I would send him a picture of the medal, and say look what I accomplished with a good partner.
To be fair, Mirzoev was also a great partner. Very charismatic and artistic as well.
I remember being so disappointed when I found out what an asshole he was to my girl Mishina.

What happened to Mishina is karma working at its finest: She got herself a new partner who is even better than Mirzoev, got back to the top in Juniors only to win Worlds at her first attempt with a partner who appreciates her and knows her value.
Her entire story is textbook karma.

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
What a grand competition!

I just rewatched M/G’s free skate &, knowing the outcome, screamed & cried during the high torch lift as “We are the champions!” blared. 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 Russian TV news replayed it, focusing on Moskvina’s face as they glided by.

My other favorite skates of the night:

Hungarians - surprise!!!

Knierim/Frazier’s last minute

Peng/Jin, despite the errors; exquisite packaging & style!

Underwhelmed by Sui/Han, despite the explosion of their final minute.

SLIVER

To be fair, Mirzoev was also a great partner. Very charismatic and artistic as well.
I remember being so disappointed when I found out what an asshole he was to my girl Mishina.

What happened to Mishina is karma working at its finest: She got herself a new partner who is even better than Mirzoev, got back to the top in Juniors only to win Worlds at her first attempt with a partner who appreciates her and knows her value.
Her entire story is textbook karma.
Just glanced quickly at their short together from GPF 2016/17, bless her she was tiny. I think Galiamov's height is so much more impressive, creates those massive big lines, she could have never had this success with Mirzoev IMO. How ironic.
I wonder what Velikovs are thinking right now, a team they nurtured from so young is now World senior champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information