2021 Worlds Men SP - Knowing Me Knowing Pooh

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ok, if I get it.
3 skaters at this worlds, all make the free, the top 2 total 13 or less = 3 for Os and next worlds
3 skaters at this worlds, only 2 make the free and combined placement is 13 or less = 2 guaranteed spots at the Os plus the chance to earn a 3rd spot via Nebelhorn, 3 spots for next Worlds
And if a country only sent 2 but reached the magic 13, it would be the same as immediately above
By Jove I think you've got it. :)

VGThuy

I agree with you that no one should get an automatic berth to the Olympics, but...there are only three individual Olympic medals, and realistically, only a few guys will be competitive for them. Most guys will not be, however many quads they throw.
Agreed, but we do know in order to be competitive, you have to have the TES. However, I’m all for Jason Brown making the team. I think he skates more gorgeously than anyone. And I mean ANYONE. I also think given most of the American men, he can skate well enough to get that spot at Nationals.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I just imagine a world where Chen, Zhou, and Paniot all skate relatively clean with 2 quad SPs 4-5 quad LPs. Does USFS really leave any of them home for the Olys?

VGThuy

I just imagine a world where Chen, Zhou, and Paniot all skate relatively clean with 2 quad SPs 4-5 quad LPs. Does USFS really leave any of them home for the Olys?
I imagined that when I saw Nationals this year quite honestly and said Paniot will make the Olympics if he skates well next year. Then I forgot about the fact he needs citizenship. Then someone else posted an article that said he already had a green card and been in the US long enough to be naturalized, if I remember correctly. I have faith Vincent given his track record won’t repeat this Worlds SP skate but I have to admit it’s shaken my confidence in him a bit. Like I thought he was going through something.

Carolla5501

Yes, because I’m afraid one of them may not have a US passport.

I checked he has a green card but in the current ********* world getting the rest of your citizenship is going slower than normal

Tavi

Agreed, but we do know in order to be competitive, you have to have the TES. However, I’m all for Jason Brown making the team. I think he skates more gorgeously than anyone. And I mean ANYONE. I also think given most of the American men, he can skate well enough to get that spot at Nationals.
😊 Agreed, and I hope he does too! The thing is, he’s actually competitive internationally with almost everyone but the very top guys bc of his GOE as well as PCS (his SB total score last year was like top 6ish?). But of course Nationals scoring is often really indiscriminate as to PCS/GOE, so he really does have to be on his game....

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
I imagined that when I saw Nationals this year quite honestly and said Paniot will make the Olympics if he skates well next year. Then I forgot about the fact he needs citizenship. Then someone else posted an article that said he already had a green card and been in the US long enough to be naturalized, if I remember correctly. I have faith Vincent given his track record won’t repeat this Worlds SP skate but I have to admit it’s shaken my confidence in him a bit. Like I thought he was going through something.
I believe he will have to be officially naturalized before the Olympics. I don't know the deadline for the Olympic qualification.

mtnskater

I just feel terrible for Vincent. 😩 A shame because I love his “Vincent” short program. Hopefully he will not be too hard on himself and can learn something from the meltdown. The camera caught his face pretty close as he was going into the quad lutz and he looked totally terrified.

Hanyu and Kagiama definitely had their mojo on today. Great job team Japan!

Shocked by Nathan‘s fall...so very unusual for him. The fact that his next two jumping passes were perfect shows what a competitor he is, especially throwing in the flip which wasn’t planned. His short is probably the weakest program he’s had for awhile...and the costume didn’t help either. USFS needs to do a costume intervention with Nathan 😄 He definitely seemed a bit not himself. I know I would be distracted by fear of ********* if I had to travel unvaccinated to this event. Anyway, he’s human. Hopefully the old Nathan will be back for the free.

Jason Brown did his job. Mind blowing skating skills and effortless jumps. I think his PCS was a bit low from the judges for that incredible program but oh well.

Keegan Messing was wonderful. I still have a soft spot for the honey badger.

Glad to see Kolyada do well and not implode. Keep it up for the free!

The free will be a nail biter for sure For those Olympic spots.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
I watched videos of some of men's SP.

yuzuru - slightly less perfect than usual, but very good.

Chen - shocking to see him fall, but artistically he has progressed every year. He is as complete as Hanyu at this point (though I love Hanyu more).

Kagiyama - nice surprise. Young guy with hopefully a great future.

Kolyada- one mistake on the quad combo (turnout in between) but he is such an amazing skater! One of the most artistic. Nice to see him skate well after years of frustration.

Uno - Started great with two quads and then fall on the 3A? His fluidity on the ice is amazing.

Brown- I could watch him forever, but it is fair that without a quad he could not score that high, when others were doing two quads.

Last edited:

Karen-W

I believe he will have to be officially naturalized before the Olympics. I don't know the deadline for the Olympic qualification.
Per the Olympic qualifying doc - Jan 24 is the deadline for Beijing 2022 Sports Entries - so my guess is that Paniot would need to have his passport by that date in order for the USOC to submit him as one of our athletes.

Dobre

Ahh! So I spent the first half of the SP hoping enough people would finish behind Donovan so that he could make the free skate with that great SP. And then, just as the last necessary guy guarantees that Donovan is in, Vincent mucks up and misses the free himself. Ahh! There are plenty of Vincent programs over the years that I would not have mourned, but really like this SP. He's skated it just beautifully more than once. (And now sitting through the free is going to be . . . difficult).

The men.

Beautiful job, Jason. Note perfect.

Shoma was cruising, until he wasn't. Yuma skated out of his socks, though I miss Denis when I hear this music. Thank you for being Nathan, Nathan. And fighting your way back with that combo. Oh, and beautiful job, Keegan. So proud of him.

So many amazing skaters in this field. They just kept coming . . . and coming . . . and coming.

quartz

scratching at the light
Working my way through the men’s short that I missed yesterday - I’ve watched Urmanov’s Lemon Tree kid twice cuz I like the music so much. :D

Carolla5501

Per the Olympic qualifying doc - Jan 24 is the deadline for Beijing 2022 Sports Entries - so my guess is that Paniot would need to have his passport by that date in order for the USOC to submit him as one of our athletes.
But here’s the thing he can’t even apply for naturalization until he’s been here with a green card for five years. And having been down this road recently with two people even with good lawyers it’s generally at least a year after you apply before you are well on the path.

Considering he was still skating for the Ukraine in 2018 and his coaches were based there it’s kind of hard to imagine he got a green card and was on his way to citizenship then. I would think that would’ve created some issues with Ukrainian fed I’m just not sure that he actually is going to be able to get citizenship by next year. I’d love for that to be an option I’m just not sure it’s realistic. If he has not already applied for naturalization at this point I don’t see in the current environment, where the US government is months behind in-doing things because they shut down for ********* and couldn’t apparently work from home like the rest of us, that he will get processed

Last edited:

VGThuy

But here’s the thing he can’t even apply for naturalization until he’s been here with a green card for five years. And having been down this road recently with two people even with good lawyers it’s generally at least a year after you apply before you are well on the path.

Considering he was still skating for the Ukraine in 2018 and his coaches were based there it’s kind of hard to imagine he got a green card and was on his way to citizenship then. I would think that would’ve created some issues with Ukrainian fed I’m just not sure that he actually is going to be able to get citizenship by next year. I’d love for that to be an option I’m just not sure it’s realistic. If he has not already applied for naturalization at this point I don’t see in the current environment, where the US government is months behind in-doing things because they shut down for ********* and couldn’t apparently work from home like the rest of us, that he will get processed
According to this article, he’s had his green card for six years now:

“We talked to U.S. Figure Skating to see what was going on, because they (Paniot and his stepfather) weren’t getting anywhere with it,” Eldredge said. “We finally got an answer back. In May, he will get his release from the Ukraine. He has had his green card for five or six years now. His intention is to get his [U.S.] citizenship. After what happened last week, the ball is rolling quickly right now to at least be able to compete at the Olympics next year. That wasn’t really on our radar, we were looking at 2026, but the way things are happening it’s a little bit more realistic.”

You’re right about how slow things are moving, but my colleague who works in immigration law said things have been picking up now. It depends on when Paniot got his naturalization papers going. He may need a bit of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information