2021 Worlds Men SP - Knowing Me Knowing Pooh

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It's not surprising that many of the skaters are not doing their best based on points that have been made throughout this thread related to the *********, etc. Trying to not make too many excuses for Nathan, but it doesn't help having a sister who is one of the C level officers at a biosciences company who analyzes CV and other bioscience phenomena all day long. He just hasn't seemed himself based on prior comments during interviews. IMHO, he was better off training himself a continent away from Rafael. His studies and friends at Yale appeared to have been quite beneficial in terms of his ability to compartmentalize. He seems to do better when not surrounded by skating 24 hours a day.
I can easily believe this. I have really really enjoyed him in the past and especially his work with Shae-lynn. This just felt phoned in and my first thought 30 seconds in was he doesn't look like he wants to be there.

And the fact he got that PCS he maybe could have literally phoned it in ;)

Sasha'sSpins

♥2018 US Olympic Dream Team! Legends!♥
I'm sneaking in here between work. 😁

Welp- Nathan made his virtual auntie's heart stop momentarily 😱 but he managed to pull it together and made it through with Jason (who was quadless-but-sublime) into the Free Skate.

Nathan has to make up some 8 points or so on Yuzuru (who was also sublime in the Short), but that aside, I think ALL the skaters deserve huge applause just to make it to Worlds under insane, ********* circumstances. Many skaters couldn't even train on ice for months! Big ups to every last one of them! 👍👏👏👏

And Nathan - don't ever do that to me again.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I do think Nathan seemed sloppier at Nationals (I haven't seen any of the Worlds SP skaters yet). I do think a lot of it had to do with just the way this past year has been. Nothing like a wake up call to remind yourself to get back into the game and focus. Consistently losing to Nathan I think has made Hanyu mentally stronger as well as he knows he most likely won't be winning a third OGM with the same types of skates he had in Sochi and Pyeongchang. He needs to be on the top of his game in both the SP and LP.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
It's not surprising that many of the skaters are not doing their best based on points that have been made throughout this thread related to the *********, etc. Trying to not make too many excuses for Nathan, but it doesn't help having a sister who is one of the C level officers at a biosciences company who analyzes CV and other bioscience phenomena all day long. He just hasn't seemed himself based on prior comments during interviews. IMHO, he was better off training himself a continent away from Rafael. His studies and friends at Yale appeared to have been quite beneficial in terms of his ability to compartmentalize. He seems to do better when not surrounded by skating 24 hours a day.
He's also sounded a bit weirded out and stressed by seeing people running around maskless at Worlds. It sounds like he's been super careful all this time and now he's got this to deal with. I don't mean to go overboard about it -- I know the majority of people there are being careful -- just trying to look at it like he might be looking at it. The anxiety might mess with his focus.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The trouble he had on the spin came during a variation that required lots of flexibility. I wonder if he didn't hurt himself a little bit on the fall.

VGThuy

And even then, I bet they would complain that the other skaters’ PCS was too high in comparison.
They think everyone should get 5s while Hanyu gets 10s. They only focus on transitions too because that's the PCS category they can blow the hardest and get all obnoxious and pedantic.

yeslek

US should assign two of the world spots to Nathan and Jason now (with monitoring in case something crazy happens?) They have earned it based on body of work this quad. We know making the team has been stressing Jason out so take that pressure off him to allow him to work on the quads. Let the remaining people battle it out for the 3rd spot if/when we earn it. Then you also avoid a 2018 Ross miner qualification situation if they would have known they were fighting for only one spot left. Especially since this quad Jason/Nathan are even further ahead than Adam was in 2018.

Jammers

Losing here wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to Nathen to be honest. He hasn't had that feeling of losing for almost 3 years now and maybe he needs to remember how it feels and it will light a fire inside of him. When you think about it this season has been a loss and how do you get excited when most of the season didn't even happen. I would think he will get more time to practice compared to last year at this time.

Karen-W

Regarding this being a wake up call for the U.S. men, I hate to say it because I'm a huge fan of Brown, but the other American men with quads (some with multiple quads) HAVE to be watching and know that only Nathan has a guaranteed spot. Jason Brown was sort of getting by with scoring well in the SP and hoping other men wouldn't catch up even with clean skates thanks to his GOE and PCS, and then hoping for the best in the LP and knowing that programs with multiple quad attempts are less consistent than his planned content. Now...he's looking at lower top 10 placement in the SP at best and we know he has the potential to drop in the LP (or not if the other men just fall apart). The point is, the other U.S. men with higher TES content aka multiple quads should take note and GET IT TOGETHER, improve, and prepare to skate like they want to make it to the Olympics and pretend they're actual medal contenders. If Brown still makes it over them with his TES content, then they're just not made for competition.
I've been saying this since US Nats a couple months ago. I really expect Ilia Malinin to be the surprise man on the US Olympic team next year and for Jason to be left at home again for lack of a quad.

sk9tingfan

Losing here wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to Nathen to be honest. He hasn't had that feeling of losing for almost 3 years now and maybe he needs to remember how it feels and it will light a fire inside of him. When you think about it this season has been a loss and how do you get excited when most of the season didn't even happen. I would think he will get more time to practice compared to last year at this time.
I wish he could get back to the Yale campus which seems to work for him. My brother had to be extricated from his dorm room after graduation because he loved it there so much(kidding about the extrication ;) , but he was bummed to be leaving).

Lilia A

Meeting ended early and I may or may not have watched the penultimate group while I was speaking (I totally did).

-Shoma, Shoma, why must you do this to me? Yes, fight for that triple toe and stop taking 3A lessons from Lambiel.
-Jason was a beauty. No words needed.
-Keegan yassss. Please hold on to that placement or at least top ten.
-Italian boys: one of them better stay top 12.
-Hanyu: I like that he's doing a different style this year, but I'll take Chopin any day. Yes, I'm boring.
-Chen: Love him but how is he ahead of Jason in PCS. Forget about the fall for a second, this isn't right.

Looking ahead:
-US should be fine keeping three spots (2 for Olympics for now plus the one in the fall).
-Nathan is only 8 points behind Hanyu. Because he has more difficult quads planned, I think it's his to lose. Sorry Fanyus. I personally prefer Hanyu but I can totally see Nathan winning again.
-We might get that second world spot back. Oh, please Keegan, you can do this.
-Someday, eventually, Kagiyama will be rewarded in PCS. Maybe not today, maybe not on Saturday, but someday.

I just realized that Vincent missed the free by only two tenths of a point. Goes to show you that everything counts. Sad for him, but there will be opportunities for him to redeem himself (maybe earn that 3rd spot in the fall).

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
I believe even Joubert would consider this costume somewhat tacky.

Imagine if there was an audience of Fanyus to see this in person, though.
With some of them in full on Hanyu/Robbie Williams cosplay. :yikes:
Well I just had a work call and missed Hanyu :wall: Will have to catch up later.
Personally I would just watch Kagiyama again. :shuffle:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Since no one here seems to prefer Grassi, I'm going to say: No.
Daniel is a good skater and more of a risk taker than Matteo. Most days, he'll win between the two because he's more willing to do multiple quads. Italy has a 3rd skater, Frangipani, who is also very good. It will be interesting to see which of the three make it to the Os. They all need a GP series next year, challengers and Europeans.

tony

Daniel is a good skater and more of a risk taker than Matteo. Most days, he'll win between the two because he's more willing to do multiple quads. Italy has a 3rd skater, Frangipani, who is also very good. It will be interesting to see which of the three make it to the Os. They all need a GP series next year, challengers and Europeans.
In the event there is a 2022 Euros, all three men will likely get to go if Italy wants to decide last-minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information