2021 Worlds Ladies SP - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Mask Before Midnight)

VGThuy

Yeah, but 'never seen anyone' -- I'd venture to say she indeed has seen plenty. I'm all for fair analyzing of the jumps across the board for all skaters (Wagner's 3T in combo was a 2.25T on a good day usually, for example, and everyone already knows how I feel about Miyahara continuously escaping even harsher calls) but it's just not going to start now with the rules as they are and the technical panel not able to review take-offs.
True. I do think some posters are honestly shocked to see the extent of it. Like we may all come to our realizations at different points, but once we do, it is like a splash of cold water when you see how egregious some of those take-offs really are. I think Eteri dominating just brings more attention to it and for some season, people just never saw Miyahara as a real "must be beaten" skater so they didn't pay as much attention to her issues. And Miyahara's PCS are always a bit undervalued to some people so they think it might "equal" out even though it does not.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
To clarify, I have never seen anyone do that on a flip. Toe jumps, sure, all the time. But to have the leg on the 'inside' of the rotation be forward as it picks, no, I have never seen it. If others do it, I haven't been aware of it being discussed.

SLIVER

I am a little confused at Kaori's tech score, the tracker was at 39.96 when she finished, she then got an 'e' which wouldn't drop her score to 36.14. I wonder what else happened, maybe the steps dropped from 4 to 3?

Karen-W

I am a little confused at Kaori's tech score, the tracker was at 39.96 when she finished, she then got an 'e' which wouldn't drop her score to 36.14. I wonder what else happened, maybe the steps dropped from 4 to 3?
During the program her footwork was called as a 3. I think a few people commented on it live. Not a lot of level 4 footwork sequences in the last couple flights - per the protocols - Rika, Karen, Bradie, Haein, Loena, Olga, Jenni, Josefin, Satoko, Alina, Natasha, and Dasa were the only level 4s.

tony

It's probably likely that her Lutz had +2 or +3 and with the 'e' call the judges had to go back and mark it down to -2 or -1 or 0 or whatever, which would account for all of those points.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
random question - if a skater qualifies an olympic spot today like Maddie did for Canada - can she also be the skater at Neblehorn to try and get a second post (assuming she stays in the top 10).

VGThuy

No. That is stated explicitly in the memo. It has to be a different skater than the one/s who qualified for the FS at Worlds.
It seems like the ISU wants to make sure those countries actually do have skaters who deserve the earned spot by having them compete with other skaters vying for the last 6 spots at the Olympics, and not just have like a world champion and then "nothing" or two top 7-ish skaters and then "nothing".

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Looking at the maths, I do think it just so happens that every country that qualified for the free will now also qualify at least one Olympic spot. It just remains to be seen which ones will be sending skaters to Nebelhorn to pick up an extra spot.

SLIVER

It's probably likely that her Lutz had +2 or +3 and with the 'e' call the judges had to go back and mark it down to -2 or -1 or 0 or whatever, which would account for all of those points.
No, it wouldn't be such a big drop. If you look at Kihira's lutz she got +1.85 for it, Kaori -0.54. So there is still an extra point knocked off, I think they dropped her step sequence on review.

tony

No, it wouldn't be such a big drop. If you look at Kihira's lutz she got +1.85 for it, Kaori -0.54. So there is still an extra point knocked off, I think they dropped her step sequence on review.
Steps were called L3 with the same GOE on realtime as they ended up with. Lutz was at 7.67 points or around that pre-'e', and it ended up with 4.18. Remember, the base value gets dropped on it, too (80%) so it's a double whammy and a huge hit on the score.

MsZem

This was in the pairs thread but really it belongs here.
They usually want to do surgery as soon as possible and it's still 8-10 months of rehab. I hate that she might miss the Olympics. :(
Unfortunately, I think it's very likely that this will be it for Mae. She's 26, has been skating senior for more than a decade, and of course it's a tricky injury to come back from. She may decide to move on and pursue some of her other interests.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Update: the sonogram showed a tear and not a complete rupture. She's flying out tomorrow to have surgery. That's better than a full rupture, but it's still a long recovery. (this from our :sekret: French source).

I sent out collective good wishes for a quick recovery and they were conveyed to her.

Last edited:

kalle

Overall, a well skated SP competition!
My thoughts:
-I love Anna S and Massenet but I just can't with her strange technique into her 3F and 3Z 🙈
She get such a good flow out of her jumps but no way she should get ++ with those entrances.
I am also a bit disappointed that she starts to drop her back the way Zagitova did.
At this stage of the competition, I would have her in 2nd after Rika.
-Rika was great and the speed and ice coverage really caught my attention.
She should loose points to Anna A on her spins but that's about it. She is not one of my favorite skater but hands down, she is a tough competitor.
I realise with the PCS advantage the judges gave to Anna S, I am not sure a clean Kira with a quad Sal and 2 3A's will be enough anyway 🤔. I am not sure if she is even planning 2 3As in her FP?
-Liza! I was rather impressed with how she skated today. She moved better than usual over the ice and the spins was the best I have ever seen from her.
She is rightfully in 3rd for me although I would have both Karen and Yelim much closer pointwise.
-Karen! She really attacked her program and no hesitation whatsoever. It was the skate of the day for me (even with less transitions than the top 2) . Beautiful big, big skating and a wonderful performance. She has always been an exciting skating when she is "on" and I really hope she can build on this and attack the LP in the same way.
-Yelim! Best combo of the day and quiet sophisticated program. If someone looks to have enough height for another rotation, it is Yelim with both her Flip and Lutz.
-Trusova. Yet, another competition where her nerves get the best out of her. She can do that combo in her sleep. Of course, she may be able to show a completely different Trusova in the LP and I really hope she does. Still, consistency is key and I hope this is something her team will work on towards the olympic season. On a sidenote, I cannot stand that SP dress that do her no favor. She is a beautiful girl and the previous one really helped to bring some color and brightness to her.
-Leona.What to say! I know she had to be squeezing clean top be in the top 3-4 but I had my hopes 😆. It is nice to have a Euro lady that has the potential to be in the last flight and much like Karen and Yelim, she skates big. I hope she can work a little on her speed and to get that 7th Triple in there before the Olympics. I don't care that she is skating to cheesy Celine, she has such a great performance quality to her skating.

On a sidenote, what a refreshing surprise to see the Canadian girl skate so well! Cannot wait to see how she will skate in the LP. Did she skate well on the junior circuit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information