2021 Worlds Ladies FS - Lay All Your Loathe On Eteri

tony

Yeah... I want to say that 2017 Nebelhorn allowed skaters from countries that had already qualified their Olympic placements, and it was a divergence from what they'd done in previous Olympic cycles.
I’m fairly certain Nebelhorn (or the selected Olympic qual) has always allowed non-Olympic qualifying countries to participate, too.

skatingguy

Golden Team
I’m fairly certain Nebelhorn (or the selected Olympic qual) has always allowed non-Olympic qualifying countries to participate, too.
Depends on the year, and the discipline - usually singles no, but pairs yes because of the size of the field. I guess we'll see how many countries submit entries.

tony

Depends on the year, and the discipline - usually singles no, but pairs yes because of the size of the field. I guess we'll see how many countries submit entries.
The US has had entries in singles for at least the last 3 Nebelhorn (Olympic qual) events, so I think it’s always the case to be honest.

skatingguy

Golden Team
The US has had entries in singles for at least the last 3 Nebelhorn (Olympic qual) events, so I think it’s always the case to be honest.
Men's event - yes - but not the Ladies event - that must have been the only discipline that was limited to Olympic qualifiers in 2017.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I’m pretty disgusted with your post. Pretty bad posting for someone who probably couldn’t have done near as well
Do you only comment on skaters you could beat? Judging by her nationals skate she was trained & ready for this comp. I did not expect a podium finish from either US skater but when the US bronze medalist with no 3/3 passes the US champ by 3 places something wrong.

Carolla5501

Do you only comment on skaters you could beat? Judging by her nationals skate she was trained & ready for this comp. I did not expect a podium finish from either US skater but when the US bronze medalist with no 3/3 passes the US champ by 3 places something wrong.
No but I don’t go out of my way to be mean and hateful about people who are doing the best they can. Especially when it’s a lot better than me

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I should have said disappointed instead of disgusted about Bradie. I expected her to perform like she did at nationals. I think the fact that the US was one placement away from 3 spots for next year was what affected me most. I'm afraid that Bradie won't be able to get one of those two spots.

MsZem

I should have said disappointed instead of disgusted about Bradie. I expected her to perform like she did at nationals. I think the fact that the US was one placement away from 3 spots for next year was what affected me most. I'm afraid that Bradie won't be able to get one of those two spots.
:confused: The US qualified 2 + 1 provisional that will need to be properly earned at Nebelhorn. Bradie and especially Karen did their jobs.

honey

I'm not surprised to read Bradie was having boot issues. Something looked off with her boots from the start. I actually said to my bf as she started the long that I thought she might have new skates on based on the way she was moving. Bad timing for that to happen, but it all worked out anyway for the USA. Could have been worse. On a shallow note, I thought her hair looked great in the LP.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I've always wondered, how frequently do elite skaters need new skates?
With leather, it used to be more predictable with many skaters getting a full season out of them and with obvious signs that they’re starting to break down. Now, with composites, they can break at any time which complicates the process.

euterpe

Was there enough choreography and style in Bradie's program so that it could be considered elite level and raise her score up at the top or was her placement solely affected by the fact that Bradie might have had boot problems? Instead, I go with the fact that I don't think she has found her ideal coach.

I agree about the coach. IMO, Tom Z is wrong for Bradie. He never paid much attention to Mirai's URs but instead focused on her practicing that 3a for years. Sure, she had her moment of glory in the team event, but was mediocre in the individual result. Then she had to have surgery for a torn labrum a few months later, and you have to wonder if all those years working on 3a didn't cause the damage

Now he has Bradie working on 3a, and I worry for her back.

VGThuy

There ain’t no shame in losing to the US bronze medalist with no 3/3... or as she should be respectfully named, Karen Chen. She herself is a former national champion, and some even say is best skater in the US at the moment. Plus she’s fourth in the World. As for no 3/3...that’s quite 6.0 thinking. It wouldn’t have mattered if Karen changed her 2A/3T to a 3LZ/3T, her base value would have been the same.

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
I hope USFSA sends Alysa Liu to the Nebelhorn Trophy to get senior experience, face some kind of 'presure' about getting that third spot and taking it, it will help her cause and boost confidence entering the senior ranks later in to Grand Prix and most likely the Olympics in february
Depends on where she is in her post-puberty rebuilding. USFS should plan to monitor 3 or 4 skaters with high potential (eg, Liu, Glenn, Shin, Bell) and make the final decision in early September.

Karen-W

Depends on where she is in her post-puberty rebuilding. USFS should plan to monitor 3 or 4 skaters with high potential (eg, Liu, Glenn, Shin, Bell) and make the final decision in early September.
Agreed. My leading two choices would be Liu or Bell. Even without a 3A/quads, Liu still has the rest of her triples and would easily qualify, plus she is a very steady competitor. Bell has had good success at Nebelhorn in the past, so I think that it would give her some comfort, going into a venue she's familiar with and, again, I'm hard pressed to think she'd melt down so completely that she'd finish out of the top 6.

Men - Hiwatashi, Zhou, Paniot, & Malinin (unless he's going back on the JGP this summer/fall) would be on my short list for monitoring. Hiwatashi would probably be my first choice - I think he's a steady enough competitor with a fairly solid 4t, that he wouldn't melt down and finish out of the top 7. Zhou would probably be my second choice, because I think he's going to want to redeem himself.

Flip Jump

Men - Hiwatashi, Zhou, Paniot, & Malinin (unless he's going back on the JGP this summer/fall) would be on my short list for monitoring. Hiwatashi would probably be my first choice - I think he's a steady enough competitor with a fairly solid 4t, that he wouldn't melt down and finish out of the top 7. Zhou would probably be my second choice, because I think he's going to want to redeem himself.
I would also add Naumov to this short list!

Frau Muller

I meant to add to the above: I’m sure that USFS would love to send Starr Andrews, if at all possible. She should be monitored and try to win one or two summer events in the US. It would send a great message on diversity.

Karen-W

I meant to add to the above: I’m sure that USFS would love to send Starr Andrews, if at all possible. She should be monitored and try to win one or two summer events in the US. It would send a great message on diversity.
I don't think the USFS gives two rats a$$es about sending any messages on diversity when it comes to Olympic spots on the line. Or, at least, it shouldn't.

Aceon6

I wouldn’t until she can master all 5 triples. She will get many other opportunities.

Frau Muller

I wouldn’t until she can master all 5 triples. She will get many other opportunities.
What other opportunities? Is Starr young enough to aim for the 2026 Olympics? It’s now or never -2022 Beijing...unless she’s going to try Pairs or Dance for 2026.

tony

What other opportunities? Is Starr young enough to aim for the 2026 Olympics? It’s now or never -2022 Beijing...unless she’s going to try Pairs or Dance for 2026.
If she were sent to Nebelhorn to qualify a third spot, she doesn't get that spot. She'd have to turn around and deliver at Nationals, as well. Not a smart idea to send her to Nebelhorn if she doesn't have a huge summer improvement that blows everyone else away, and with Liu, Bell, and Glenn- not likely.

Aceon6

Her technical development is well behind her peers and she doesn’t have Jason like skating skills to compensate. Sending her would be a mistake. As for 2026, if she works hard, why not, but she needs a lutz first.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
Her technical development is well behind her peers and she doesn’t have Jason like skating skills to compensate. Sending her would be a mistake. As for 2026, if she works hard, why not, but she needs a lutz first.
THIS. IMO, Starr is more hype than she is actual product. She needs a LOT of improvement in her jumps and skating skills before ever considering her for a competition with such serious consequences. Sorry, I'm as liberal as they come and applaud more diversity in US skating, and I think she still has promise, but I also think she's been overhyped overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information