2021 Worlds Ladies FS - Lay All Your Loathe On Eteri

tony

What I don’t want to see is a competition like Hanyus first Olympics win where everyone was all over the place
Sometimes you're going to have 2021 Russian Nationals ladies free skate type of performances. Sometimes you're going to have 2003 US Nationals men where almost everyone was a disaster or many of the Grand Prix events in the late 90s/early 2000s. I remember 1999 Skate Canada being a pretty bad competition all-around but the pairs short in particular was abysmal.

Take the pairs short at this Worlds. The skaters aren't doing any jumping elements that are more difficult than what they were doing 20 years ago, and it was still mostly a dud this time.

Increasing the difficulty comes with risks, but an implosion by most of the field came long before the TES jumped way up.

flyingsit

Here's the thing, though. Drop Liza's PCS down a full point across the board to:

7.75 7.39 7.61 7.71 7.71 , which means she's now getting 61.07 PCS points, combined with 73.52 for TES and she has 134.59 points for the segment, which still keeps her on the podium by 5 points over Chen and Hendricks.

You could've even gone to 7.25 6.89 7.11 7.21 7.21 for 57.07 PCS points which puts her 15th in PCS on the night, and she still has enough points to be on the podium! I actually think people wanted to see scores like this for her, but then they'd be out of their minds if it still gave her bronze. :lol:

Trusova, same story. She could've gotten a full point less across the board on her components and she also holds on to her medal (7.64 6.96 7.18 7.43 7.25)
But it would still be more palatable because it would differentiate what they did vs the others.

tony

But it would still be more palatable because it would differentiate what they did vs the others.
And you think there would be any less complaining? :lol: No, I think it would then just transfer over to the difficult elements having too much value.

The difference between the top lady and the 24th-ranked lady PCS-wise was 21.71 points. Take away Shcherbakova and it's only 17.94 points. That's just a little bit more than the difference between all 6.50's and all 8.50's. Most of the ladies are going to be clumped at that very good/great level when you're talking the World Championships. Trusova on a good day could run away technically with over 100 points and most other skaters are going to be at 70 or so if they skate well. She then has a nearly 4.00 on each PCS advantage over other skaters, so she'd have to be down around 4.50 across the board to lose to someone with all 8.50's. Not going to ever happen.

Sasha'sSpins

♥2018 US Olympic Dream Team! Legends!♥
THis thing with the skaters putting their own medlas if stupid.
No it's not, not with a deadly ********* still out there. My own family lost two, so I appreciate the precautions that the organizers are taking. Especially when, frankly, certain teams which will go unnamed, walk around mask-less backstage. Some of the usual presenters are older people, some may even have health issues. They can't risk getting too close while handing out flowers, and especially draping medals over necks.

Back OT, congrats to all the medallists, especially The Empress! 👸 👑 I am thrilled for her! Anna deserved the win, but not with such high PCS scores, especially on the wobbly spin. I LOVE Trusova, I consider myself a big fan, but imo, Karen should've won the bronze. Awesome job by Karen to help earn the US the chance for a third Olympic spot at Nebelhorn! Awesome job by Belgium's Loena Hendricks too! She too would have been deserving of bronze!

The Japanese ladies tried hard to give away that third spot but they hung on!

Sasha'sSpins

Nope. Cohen had skated two senior GP seasons.
No, I meant a Worlds. Her first major senior international competition was at the Olympics, rather than at a Worlds. I remember Sandra Bezic gushing about it when Sasha nailed her SP at the Games, and placed 3rd in that phase of the competition.

Last edited:

yeslek

With regard to Bradie’s performance, Figure Skaters Online reported that one of her boots broke before the SP. So that’s likely what caused her jumps to be off. 😢
Lol here we go again. But also she should be prepared for situations like that and have a back up plan.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Lol here we go again. But also she should be prepared for situations like that and have a back up plan.

The boot actually breaking is something that would be very difficult to anticipate. Not to mention that two pairs of the same boot model and blade can feel very different from each other, so it's not just a matter of taking off one pair of skates and wearing another.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
I watched. A little underwhelming on the whole but so excited for LaTuk and Scherbakova!

Loena and Mikutina were nice surprises too!

Sad for Rika, Bradie and Yelim

Maofan7

Had some private messages as to the location of the videos thread. Just in case you cannot find it, just click into the following link

MacMadame

Staying at home
No it's not, not with a deadly ********* still out there.
There are actually ways to do the medal ceremony so it is both safe and less weird. :D

I was bitching to my husband about this at the time. When they stick the medals and the flowers up there ahead of time, the skaters climb up, and then it's like "oh there's a medal. Is that for me? I don't see anyone else here so I guess that's mine." It cracked me up because it came off as so random.

But if they had someone with a tray with all the medals and that person held the tray up to the skaters who would take their medal off it, it would be less weird but everyone would be very socially distanced. And the person with the tray doesn't have to be anyone old either.

Sasha'sSpins

There are actually ways to do the medal ceremony so it is both safe and less weird. :D

I was bitching to my husband about this at the time. When they stick the medals and the flowers up there ahead of time, the skaters climb up, and then it's like "oh there's a medal. Is that for me? I don't see anyone else here so I guess that's mine." It cracked me up because it came off as so random.

But if they had someone with a tray with all the medals and that person held the tray up to the skaters who would take their medal off it, it would be less weird but everyone would be very socially distanced. And the person with the tray doesn't have to be anyone old either.
I guess we disagree on this one. I don't think it's weird at all. I thought it was rather whimsical and charming. And someone with a tray is still not going to be 6 feet apart from the medallist as they hold it up to them. Also, at least one of the medallists recovered from the ***** and it is unknown if that athlete or her teammates have been vaccinated. I repeat that I am glad that the organizers are taking every precaution - no matter how 'weird' it looks. Most competitions that I've seen so far are already doing the medal ceremony in a similar fashion - the athlete picks the medal up, and places it around their neck. It's going to be the same I am certain at the Olympics this summer, and the Winter Olympics next year, unless something like herd immunity is achieved worldwide by then (not likely).

Last edited:

meggonzo

Well, I’m no Bradie fan but I never think her bad days are fir lack of hard work and trying. It’s just that when she URs and misses jumps, she doesn’t have much else to keep her score up.

I find it ironic that everyone assumed she’d finish ahead of Karen, who has much more speed, elegance and charisma, as well as better spins and transitions. Honestly, URs and all, Karen’s the best we have, at least until we see how Alysa turns out.
Bradie has good spins and transitions herself so it's not like there's nothing else besides jumps that she can score well on.

Sasha'sSpins

I'm confused about usa still has to earn the 3rd spot at neb. Do they have to win, medal or what?

Good question. And I didn't know about Nebelhorn until Jackie mentioned it on Twitter. All this time, I thought 13 was the magic number. Karen's 4th plus Bradie's 9th = 13. Not just for Worlds, but the Olympics too. 🤷‍♀️

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
Good question. And I didn't know about Nebelhorn until Jackie mentioned it on Twitter. All this time, I thought 13 was the magic number. Karen's 4th plus Bradie's 9th = 13. Not just for Worlds, but the Olympics too. 🤷‍♀️
I am confused too. I thought if the two placements added to 13, in the pre-Olympic year, they would get three spots at the next worlds and Olympics.

VGThuy

I am confused too. I thought if the two placements added to 13, in the pre-Olympic year, they would get three spots at the next worlds and Olympics.
Somebody else can explain it better than I, but essentially, if a country gains a spot at Worlds here, they get that spot automatically for Worlds, but for the Olympics due to the quota and stuff, then they earn the right to cinch that spot at Nebelhorn. The rule change was made because there were issues with the old rules in 2018. I think the new rules are much better as it’ll ensure that a country that gained a spot actually has skaters who will be “Olympic level” and it automatically helps smaller countries earn spots at Worlds by placing in the top 24 or whatever without having to go to Nebelhorn which wasn’t the case with the old rules.

Sasha'sSpins

I could swear that was the rule for previous Olympiads. Add up to 13 and 3 get to go to the Games. I think back in the olden days if you medalled at pre-Olympic Worlds, then three from your country got to go to the Games. I think the US ladies lost 3 spots for the Olympics at 1993 Worlds when the American ladies failed to medal - which set the stage for the infamous drama to come...

VGThuy

I could swear that was the rule for previous Olympiads. Add up to 13 and 3 get to go to the Games. I think back in the olden days if you medalled at pre-Olympic Worlds, then three from your country got to go to the Games. I think the US ladies lost 3 spots for the Olympics at 1993 Worlds when the American ladies failed to medal - which set the stage for the infamous drama to come...
You’re right that in 1993 Worlds, countries had to have skaters MEDAL to earn three spots but place in the top ten to get two spots. Also in 1995-1997, all three skaters counted toward the tally, which is why Russia only had two men in Nagano despite their top two at 1997 Worlds placing high enough for 13. So rules change. The rule you’re talking about was the rule but now there are NEW rules which I explained up-thread. With the old rules, you had weird things happen. Like for the last Olympics, the American pairs kept two spots but because of the Olympic quotas, the Americans only got one spot despite having two for Worlds and had no way of getting that second spot back even though France decided not to use their second spot. Had these rules been in effect, since the second American team didn’t qualify for the SP but still placed high enough to qualify two teams, they would have had a chance to get that second spot at Nebelhorn. This is also to better ensure skaters who qualified for the LP have a better chance of earning a guaranteed spot for their country at the Olympics outright as opposed to losing out because bigger countries got two or three spots and thus having to earn it at Nebelhorn.

miffy

Personally I am glad the rules have changed. I’m ok with it for Worlds because any country can send a skater with the minimums, but the Olympics has such limited places and in the past skaters have gone purely because someone else from their country placed top 10. This way gives these other skaters the chance to earn that spot.

MacMadame

Staying at home
The latter - though most Olympic years, Nebelhorn limits the entries, doesn't it?
I seem to remember one year where someone was there to get minimums or something and people kept having to clarify that them being in the top 6 wouldn't take a spot away from someone else. But wasn't sure if the rules had changed since then.

Karen-W

I seem to remember one year where someone was there to get minimums or something and people kept having to clarify that them being in the top 6 wouldn't take a spot away from someone else. But wasn't sure if the rules had changed since then.
Yeah... I want to say that 2017 Nebelhorn allowed skaters from countries that had already qualified their Olympic placements, and it was a divergence from what they'd done in previous Olympic cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information