2021 Worlds FD - Take A Dance On Me

MacMadame

Staying at home
Can we all not be so negative
That's pretty funny given how negative this whole thread is in particular complaining about bad judging before it happens. :lol:

I was among those who didn't realize it was supposed to be a real culture: to me they looked like fictional characters from a Netflix series set in medieval times.
That's because the whole thing was problematic. It's the troupe of the hyper-sexualized native girl falling in love with the manly explorer. On ice.

He is on good terms with Elena even showed up to her skating school if he was all bad she probably wouldn’t be.
I'd say: You've got to be kidding me. But I've seen your posts about abusive relationships before.

Personally, I would have liked it if we could have cloned Evan and had both Samuelson and Bates and Chock and Bates.
Eh... I was a big Samuelson & Bates fan when they were Juniors and I held on when they moved up to Seniors but at some point, they became very mismatched and I don't think Evan getting older would have fixed it.

I just wish Samuelson could have found someone. She probably could have if she had done it when Evan was first injured. I think the year practicing with herself threw off her game. It can be really hard to go back to intense training after that long doing training with no goal.

becca

I'd say: You've got to be kidding me. But I've seen your posts about abusive relationships

I actually think we should be careful about believing unsubstantiated rumors. As mentioned the poster who claimed this also said Tessa has a secret 👶.

I don’t know Nikita or what kind of person he is. If his both of his partners say he is abusive I am likely to believe them.

But what we have right now is a former partner stating literally he is the best partner in the world and a seven year partnership with the current partner saying no abuse happened.

And then rumors and gossip. And that kind of stuff can ruin people.

he may be a terrible person he may be a good one I don’t know. I suspect you don’t get that far by being a nice person

But I am inclined to give someone the benefit of the doubt when it comes to something like that over gossip. And I think that’s the right thing to do.

And I want to point out that I am a Catholic who doesn’t believe in divorce but will tell anyone to leave a relationship at the first instance of physical abuse.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Eh... I was a big Samuelson & Bates fan when they were Juniors and I held on when they moved up to Seniors but at some point, they became very mismatched and I don't think Evan getting older would have fixed it.

I just wish Samuelson could have found someone. She probably could have if she had done it when Evan was first injured. I think the year practicing with herself threw off her game. It can be really hard to go back to intense training after that long doing training with no goal.

How quickly they forget.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I didn't forget that. That failed partnership is part of why I thought she had gotten out of the practice of training at an elite level. They skated like two people who trained part-time while working part-time to earn the money to train and not like people who train as their job. They didn't do well and the partnership fell apart almost immediately afterward.

Note: when I said I wish she could have found someone, I didn't mean any warm body (who could skate). I meant a partner who was at Bate's level (or close), who meshed well with her, and with whom she could have had similar results.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
I actually think we should be careful about believing unsubstantiated rumors. As mentioned the poster who claimed this also said Tessa has a secret 👶.
That isn't what @mjb52 said. She (he? Sorry, I don't know) said it was the person who mistakenly thought Scott's fiancee had children. That's a completely different person from the one who made up stories about Tessa having secret babies. Tessa is not Scott's fiancee, last I checked.

becca

That isn't what @mjb52 said. She (he? Sorry, I don't know) said it was the person who mistakenly thought Scott's fiancee had children. That's a completely different person from the one who made up stories about Tessa having secret babies. Tessa is not Scott's fiancee, last I checked.
Lol 😂 I don’t pay attention to those rumors but here is the deal let’s say it was a poster who felt Scott’s fiancé had kids. I thought referring to the secret baby.

it’s still though someone who has already been misinformed in the past right?

How do we know they are accurate on the other thing. If one of Nikita’s partners wants to stand up and accuse him of abuse that is one thing. It really is one thing.

But anything other than that is rumors and gossip.

And while Victoria may have reasons for saying nothing Elena owes Nikita nothing.

Last edited:

Tak

I don’t know Nikita or what kind of person he is. If his both of his partners say he is abusive I am likely to believe them.

But what we have right now is a former partner stating literally he is the best partner in the world and a seven year partnership with the current partner saying no abuse happened.

And then rumors and gossip. And that kind of stuff can ruin people.

he may be a terrible person he may be a good one I don’t know. I suspect you don’t get that far by being a nice person

But I am inclined to give someone the benefit of the doubt when it comes to something like that over gossip. And I think that’s the right thing to do.

And I want to point out that I am a Catholic who doesn’t believe in divorce but will tell anyone to leave a relationship at the first instance of physical abuse.
Can you tell me what you are all talking about? I haven't been paying that much attention to skating recently and don't know what happened. Did Nikita hit someone?

becca

Can you tell me what you are all talking about? I haven't been paying that much attention to skating recently and don't know what happened. Did Nikita hit someone?
Rumors about why they left Canton so quickly.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
That version of "Both Sides Now" is highly acclaimed (obviously nothing is to everyone's taste, of course).

I don't agree that it's highly acclaimed. I read many reviews that suggested otherwise when the album came out. Joni is a groundbreaker and a visionary, but this is not one of the high points of her musical career.

Colonel Green

I don't agree that it's highly acclaimed. I read many reviews that suggested otherwise when the album came out. Joni is a groundbreaker and a visionary, but this is not one of the high points of her musical career.
It won two Grammys and a Juno Award, as the link you provide notes. That would suggest that quite a lot of people were big fans at the time (and continue to be, as that version has endured too).

Spun Silver

It was amazing to me how damn good H/D looked when there was no bad program, cringy music, or unflattering dress to distract me from their actual skating. It made me think she should perform in a nude bodysuit from now on. And definitely stick with the relationship themes - romance, heat, heat, romance. I was rooting for C/B but H/D's skating was on another level.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
It won two Grammys and a Juno Award, as the link you provide notes. That would suggest that quite a lot of people were big fans at the time (and continue to be, as that version has endured too).

Milli Vanilli won a Grammy too. Awards are not always indicator of musical quality.

There were also a lot of Joni fans who were unimpressed with her reworkings of the older songs.

puglover

All three of the medal winning teams have interesting backstories. Both Victoria and Piper got a ton of negative attitude and were considered by many as far beneath their partners ability when their partnerships were formed and for some time (years) after. Some how they tuned it all out and worked hard. That goes beyond style and preference and demonstrates real grit. Madison H. and Zach were romantically involved and chose to end that out of the best interests of their skating. I find that pretty amazing. I know they are not the only ones who have accomplished that but it remains hard for me to get my head around. Maybe it says something about my past relationships but once it was over it was OVER.

tony

I liked the older version of Both Sides Now, it worked well for G&P. I also thought the 2 versions of Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley & KD Lang) that H&D used with Pray Gently to the Night inbetween was well done.

When it works, it works. :)
G/P didn’t change their music though 🤷🏼‍♂️ it’s always been that version. (Unless you mean older-aged Joni?)

mattiecat13

I liked the older version of Both Sides Now, it worked well for G&P. I also thought the 2 versions of Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley & KD Lang) that H&D used with Pray Gently to the Night inbetween was well done.

When it works, it works. :)
I would have preferred H&D use only the Jeff Buckley version, which is beautiful. I loathe the k.d. lang version - it’s so overwrought it makes me cringe.

PRlady

pat c

G/P didn’t change their music though 🤷🏼‍♂️ it’s always been that version. (Unless you mean older-aged Joni?)
Yes, older aged Joni...........a 60ish year old looking back and redoing a song she wrote and recorded in her 20's.
I would have preferred H&D use only the Jeff Buckley version, which is beautiful. I loathe the k.d. lang version - it’s so overwrought it makes me cringe.
To each their own. :) Unless its Sweet Dreams and then it has to be Annie Lennox, the other versions are blasphemous.

clairecloutier

I just don’t like the platitudinous, preachy voiceover in FB/S’s music mix. Only P/C are good enough to semi-pull off something like that IMO. Trying to evoke Viking/Scandinavian history on ice is also a bit sketchy for a dance team, especially in terms of costuming, as it can quickly veer straight into campiness. This program is a miss for me, I hope they don’t keep it for the Olympics.

puglover

I like that version by Joni Mitchell. She has been unapologetic about her love of smoking and it seems obvious in her later voice. I guess what I like about it is it goes with the theme of the lyrics. When we are young we truly believe we have "looked at life from both sides now". Age teaches us we had lots more to learn on that subject and we really had no idea.

Former Lurve Goddess

I like that version by Joni Mitchell. She has been unapologetic about her love of smoking and it seems obvious in her later voice. I guess what I like about it is it goes with the theme of the lyrics. When we are young we truly believe we have "looked at life from both sides now". Age teaches us we had lots more to learn on that subject and we really had no idea.
See also Marianne Faithfull's later life voice.👑

Messalina

I actually loved the FS/S free dance. I would very much like to see an improved version for the Olympic season. But of course I read all the Last Kingdom books and saw the TV version. Danish/Saxon tussling for the win!

Though I wasn't sure who Laurence was supposed to be. Certainly not Aethelflaed.

And of course the voiceovers MUST go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information