2021 Worlds FD - Take A Dance On Me

becca

Given the past rumours about Nikita and Viktoria's reason for their exit from Marina Zoueva I'd probably drop this subject now.
Oh on that subject I won’t say he is a good person if it’s true.

But I think it’s good that he isn’t off bad mouthing Elena or justifying why he left. And Elena says she roots for him.

He got a lot of hatred for his choice and he never tried to justify it by making Elena bad.

That he gets credit for and it’s probably why she can speak kindly of him. So he gets credit for that for me for allowing himself to be the bad guy.

Relationship problems are never just one person.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The couple of times I saw Stepanova/Bukin live, they didn't have much momentum or ice coverage: it was like they were practicing on the floor. Obviously I wasn't there for this particular performance, but I think they are one of the teams that looks better on video.

Did you have the heart to tell him that they're not exactly fan favorites? 😅
The Polish team never looks good on video. I was really surprised at how good they looked in person when they competed at Skate America in Everett a couple of years ago. They're a bit like Seguin/Bilodeau, too: you see them gliding around in practice and the warm-up, and they look mismatched, but when when they skate their programs, they look like a team, and I remember that they were the biggest surprise for me.

Well, at least the Danadians had the courtesy to consult with First Nations people to make sure it wouldn’t be misunderstood whatever it was.

I thought it was John Smith and Pocahontas as I said above. And, if you have to explain your FD for people not to be offended, then you need to rethink it.
I was among those who didn't realize it was supposed to be a real culture: to me they looked like fictional characters from a Netflix series set in medieval times.

It’s actually an orchestral version by Joni herself!
Of the vintage where she appeared on stage at the anniversary gala for Saskatechewan, wore a beehive and a little cardigan, and courtsied to whatever royal(s) were there.

Of course Spain doesn’t get that second slot.

Also, if Piper and Paul continue to beat Marie-Universe teams, will people start flocking to Carol Lane?
I wish TJ could get a program choreographed in that rink. They really know how to make specific skaters shine.

But they don't let in a lot of people. And I was really bummed when Orford and Hill split, because they would have had fantastic programs.

Tell your mama that Evan Bates shouldn’t have messed up, that they shouldn’t have skated scared, and that Chock still needs to improve her skating skills.
One thing i noticed about their RD were the little half rotations Bates spent lifting her up and around so that she didn't have to use her blades.

FWIW, I think Nikita rubs people the wrong way for whatever reason. You don't see these sort of comments about Evan Bates or Paul Poirier splitting from their previous partners - at least not to the same extent. And I've yet to see anyone with a bad word to say about Vika.
I don't remember anyone ever accusing Bates or Poirier of being violent against his partner, although there are still reservations and hard feelings about them dumping Samuelson and Crone. You would have been able to read plenty of being rubbed the wrong way on FSU at the time of those splits.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
Oh on that subject I won’t say he is a good person if it’s true.

But I think it’s good that he isn’t off bad mouthing Elena or justifying why he left. And Elena says she roots for him.

He got a lot of hatred for his choice and he never tried to justify it by making Elena bad.

That he gets credit for and it’s probably why she can speak kindly of him. So he gets credit for that for me for allowing himself to be the bad guy.

Relationship problems are never just one person.
Look, I realize we're all tiptoeing around the elephant in the room here, and we can keep doing that if everyone wants to, but let's at least try not to make the guy out to be an absolute angel.

MsZem

I don't remember anyone ever accusing Bates or Poirier of being violent against his partner, although there are still reservations and hard feelings about them dumping Samuelson and Crone. You should be able to read plenty of being rubbed the wrong way on FSU at the time of those splits.
At the time, of course. But it's been years since I've seen anything about those splits.

Anyway, Ilinykh seems to be happy with her life as it is, and Crone and Samuelson have long since moved on. I'm happy for Vika, who really has put in a lot of work; and for Piper and Paul, who've done their own thing for so long and finally seen it rewarded.

yeslek

HD really need to start hitting their levels. You don’t want to have to rely on he judges to hold you up with GOE. They had 11th in base but somehow got all the way up to 3rd in tech. A messy shouldn’t be getting GOE of 4s.

mjb52

Just a reminder since ppl probably don't remember that much of that rumor came from the same poster who recently kept talking about scott moir's fiancee's apparently nonexistent children?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I wonder if I/K ended up getting it together, if P/C would have ever won Worlds that cycle. They would have deserved it but you know how judging is...but then I’m imagining a team so different from the actual I/K.

With this idealized I/K who had great working relationship and great work ethic and made improvements, V/M may not have come back. The Shibs comeback story may not have happened. A lot of things would have changed.
I randomly think about this alternate timeline where I&K get it together and stay together. It would have changed the trajectories of so many teams. I still think P&C would have risen up, but perhaps just to a more distant silver. It still would have been a great story.

Then there were the politics pushing W&P and C&B (getting 10s for falls, LOL). How differently would this rivalry have been? C&B were still on track to winning Worlds before they had a subpar FD. How strong would that push have been? Without politics, would the Shibutanis have been closer to beating C&B? Possibly overtaking them, even with snoozy ballroom programs? I imagine the gap would have been smaller, so would Zoueva’s “trust the process” attitude have been enough to stop the Shibs from seeking outside choreography?

This doesn’t even consider C&L. If clean, they were still on track to win 2014 Cup of China, blunting momentum for P&C and Shibs. How much did winning a world title affect their preparations for the next season? Would a silver behind I&K at worlds have changed that?

A lot of things had to align for P&C to win Worlds in 2015. It wasn’t just their skating skills, artistry, and the Mozart FD. I&K had to retire. Reigning world champions had to implode. More could even be said about the backlash to the politics pushing certain teams during the void left by I&K.

Clearly I’ve done this too much, and it’s always an interesting and frustrating exercise.

becca

Look, I realize we're all tiptoeing around the elephant in the room here, and we can keep doing that if everyone wants to, but let's at least try not to make the guy out to be an absolute angel.
I am not. But I also don’t know what happened wasnt there and Viktoria has denied it.

It was also several years ago? I personally don’t think judgment should be made about someone based on unsubstantiated rumors.

He is on good terms with Elena even showed up to her skating school if he was all bad she probably wouldn’t be.

VGThuy

Personally, I would have liked it if we could have cloned Evan and had both Samuelson and Bates and Chock and Bates.
I really do think Emily Samuelson was the most talented female US ice dancer we had coming from that generation. Rewatching their old routines, she was able to do so much content, had the flexibility, and had the skating skills (actual skating skills). Shame it never worked out. Apparently she didn’t want to move to Igor out of loyalty to Yaro and Yuri and also because you know...

Oh well. Things worked out the way they work out. It was ten years ago now, and Madison and Evan are now more than an ice dance couple.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I really do think Emily Samuelson was the most talented female US ice dancer we had coming from that generation. Rewatching their old routines, she was able to do so much content, had the flexibility, and had the skating skills (actual skating skills). Shame it never worked out. Apparently she didn’t want to move to Igor out of loyalty to Yaro and Yuri and also because you know...

Oh well. Things worked out the way they work out. It was ten years ago now, and Madison and Evan are now more than an ice dance couple.
I love Madison and Evan but to an extent I would rather the fates had kept Madison with Greg Zuerlin and Evan with Emily Samuelson, I enjoyed both of those teams immensely when they were together. What is really too bad is that there wasn't someone else suited for Emily to continue with.

VGThuy

I love Madison and Evan but to an extent I would rather the fates had kept Madison with Greg Zuerlin and Evan with Emily Samuelson, I enjoyed both of those teams immensely when they were together. What is really too bad is that there wasn't someone else suited for Emily to continue with.
I know. That’s what I find the lost heartbreaking. As a Shibs fan, I recognize how the break up of Samuelson/Bates and then Ilinykh/Katsalapov really opened doors for them.

Colonel Green

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information