2021 Worlds Exhibition - Thank You For The Mucus

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Probably a minority here, but from the 2 exhibitions I watched I hated the camera work. It gave me nausea. Just put the damn thing on the same spot where the judges would be and don't touch it! No need for close ups, no need for skating around the skater when they spin.

tony

Probably a minority here, but from the 2 exhibitions I watched I hated the camera work. It gave me nausea. Just put the damn thing on the same spot where the judges would be and don't touch it! No need for close ups, no need for skating around the skater when they spin.
Yeah, Jordan does great work in the right situations but for this, I got tired of it after 5 minutes and just decided not to bother watching because I found it distracting and a bit annoying.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
From what I have heard most of the skaters were overwhelmingly happy to have been able to compete.

I think some of the protocols were a bit lax (for example speed skaters weren’t allowed in the stands to cheer on teammates at their respective Worlds), but all in all it worked okay.

Karen-W

From what I have heard most of the skaters were overwhelmingly happy to have been able to compete.

I think some of the protocols were a bit lax (for example speed skaters weren’t allowed in the stands to cheer on teammates at their respective Worlds), but all in all it worked okay.
As big as the Globe is, I don't have a problem with the skaters/officials being allowed in the stands to cheer on their teammates - what I have a problem with is the clear lack of social distancing within the spectators (really clear from the brief shot we saw of the audience giving Nathan a standing ovation). Figure skating is a far different sport than speed skating when it comes to the audience contributing to the energy and performance levels.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Figure skating is a far different sport than speed skating when it comes to the audience contributing to the energy and performance levels.
I agree with you, but we also know more than a year into this that aerosol transmission is a major risk factor and here you had dozens of people screaming their heads off and kind of abandoning social distance too. At least people seemed to be wearing masks for the most part. At NHK Trophy the audience was asked not to cheer vocally, but then again Japan so spectators complied.

mtnskater

I loved the camera work by Jordan Cowan. 😎 I want more of that! So cool to see the speed and footwork up close and moving down the ice. The speed and the glide are much more enhanced. Watching Nathan’s “Rocket Man” from Jordan’s point of view was especially fun to me. The front view of the backflip was awesome. The moving camera made the exhibition fresh and much more enjoyable to me.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
I'm 15 minutes behind and just saw it. :rofl:

Ah the one that does all the Montreal dance vids. Great idea to hire them here since there's no audience! Makes for a more interestin tv show for sure. I wonder if it's a big adjustment for the skaters since he obviously needs to keep out ot the way. :lol:
Russia One channel also has a guy who has been doing this for exhibitions in Russia...at least for a year. It’s not new.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I loved the camera work by Jordan Cowan. 😎 I want more of that! So cool to see the speed and footwork up close and moving down the ice. The speed and the glide are much more enhanced. Watching Nathan’s “Rocket Man” from Jordan’s point of view was especially fun to me. The front view of the backflip was awesome. The moving camera made the exhibition fresh and much more enjoyable to me.
That's exactly the thing - when the camera is moving you can't tell how fast/slow the steps are. For example take all these `skating with the stars' shows - the camera work is hte key there - in real life they are hardly moving, but thanks to the camera it seems the are skating really fast. When the camera moves really fast to the opposite direction it seems as if the skater was going much faster than they were.
Particularly Nathan skates SO fast that if the camera was standing still you would be able to appreciate. Particularly Scherbakova is rather slow on the ice. If the camera was standing still you would be able to tell how much faster Sakamoto is. But the camera was moving and we all got an impression of the equally fast Scherbakova/Sakamovo/Chen.
Backflip would be awesome from any direction, but if it was taken from the side you would be able to see how high it was. I won't even start about the footwork where the camera focused on the hairstyle...

Kateri

void beast
That's exactly the thing - when the camera is moving you can't tell how fast/slow the steps are. For example take all these `skating with the stars' shows - the camera work is hte key there - in real life they are hardly moving, but thanks to the camera it seems the are skating really fast. When the camera moves really fast to the opposite direction it seems as if the skater was going much faster than they were.
Particularly Nathan skates SO fast that if the camera was standing still you would be able to appreciate. Particularly Scherbakova is rather slow on the ice. If the camera was standing still you would be able to tell how much faster Sakamoto is. But the camera was moving and we all got an impression of the equally fast Scherbakova/Sakamovo/Chen.
Backflip would be awesome from any direction, but if it was taken from the side you would be able to see how high it was. I won't even start about the footwork where the camera focused on the hairstyle...
Totally - it's not a good choice for a competition! Especially as some people find it makes them feel nauseous to watch. But I loved it for the EX. I don't usually bother watching at all, but it made it feel fresh and interesting.

Skate Talker

Karen torturing us with Greatest Showman because we didn't suffer enough during the competition
Lol, I am also not a fan of Greatest Showman but thought there were not nearly as many competitors using the music this year, for which I was very thankful. But, since I never saw the movie I didn't realize Karen's exhibition song was from the movie and I guess this is one I don't absolute dislike, though it would never be added to my playlist.
Keegan was great. I get Kurt Browning vibes from him
I also get Elvis vibes from Keegan - but only the good ones. I think the footwork reminds me of both and the knee action on the jumps is very Elvis, but for performance and sheer joy of skating it's Kurt vibes all the way. Keegan is one of the few skaters I'm glad has kept at it for so many years because he has just improved so much from his wild, exciting, but out of control skating when he was the ages most of his competitors are now.
That's exactly the thing - when the camera is moving you can't tell how fast/slow the steps are. For example take all these `skating with the stars' shows - the camera work is the key there - in real life they are hardly moving, but thanks to the camera it seems the are skating really fast. When the camera moves really fast to the opposite direction it seems as if the skater was going much faster than they were.

Totally - it's not a good choice for a competition! Especially as some people find it makes them feel nauseous to watch. But I loved it for the EX. I don't usually bother watching at all, but it made it feel fresh and interesting.
So my thoughts when I realized they were using the on ice camera man went from "This looks cool" and "I just bet some viewers are going to find this nausea inducing" to "Maybe they need to have a bit less of this and more of the stationary cameras so it doesn't get boring" and "I don't agree with Mark. I think we lose our ability to tell how fast or slow they are moving when the camera is also moving" and "Okay it's a bit cool to have some of this shots because you can really feel like you too are out on the ice with them, but they better never get the stupid idea to do this during competition. It would be an even worse idea than the sky camera showing tiny figures spinning in place but not what positions they are doing."

So I guess basically you could say at some point I agreed and disagreed with almost everyone posting about it ;)

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Yes - OnIcePerspectives (Jordan Cowan)

ETA:

I love that - I first saw it when Roman Sadovsky (Canada) started filming his skates like that - it makes it so much better - hope this is the way of the future. Actually a professional style competition with these kinds of numbers would be awesome.. I would pay for that.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Just finished watching the gala on the ISU youtube - I really enjoyed that. I LOVE the on camera work - on my big screen tv it looked awesome. Some amazingly talented skaters and I'm so grateful they were able to have worlds this year it was fabulous. Really looking forward to returning to live competitions next year. Does anyone know where I can find out who choreographed the gala skates?

mjb52

I wonder if they could have the option of watching with the on ice perspective or traditional camerawork, depending on the viewer's preference? Probably too complicated/expensive.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I wonder if they could have the option of watching with the on ice perspective or traditional camerawork, depending on the viewer's preference? Probably too complicated/expensive.
They could use the on-ice camera judiciously so its impact isn't blunted. I think it would be great for a show where they planned out ahead of time when to use the on-ice camera and when not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information