2021 USFS Championship Series (virtual qualifying competition for 2021 US Nationals)

Sylvia

TBD
Jr. Free Dance Starting Order (eta replay link): https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/pla...-2009778/54def84f-81a5-3552-a535-4fed412907cb
1 Elizabeth Tkachenko, Washington FSC / Alexei Kiliakov, Washington FSC (JGP/J7/ISP)
2 Claire Cain, Washington FSC / Alexander Colucci, Philadelphia SC & HS (new)
3 Kelsey Schaub, IceWorks SC / Kenny Eckert, IceWorks SC (new)
4 Elliana Peal, Scott Hamilton SC / Ethan Peal, Scott Hamilton SC (N1/ISP)
5 Angela Ling, Peninsula SC / Caleb Wein, Washington FSC (J6/ISP)
6 Gracie Vainik, SC of Novi / Daniel Brykalov, All Year FSC (new)
7 Oona Brown, SC of New York / Gage Brown, SC of New York (JGP/J3/Jr. Worlds/ISP)
8 Katarina DelCamp, Dallas FSC / Ian Somerville, Washington FSC (JGP/J5/ISP)
9 Leah Neset, Magic City FSC / Artem Markelov, Magic City FSC (new)
10 Katarina Wolfkostin, Peninsula SC / Jeffrey Chen, Peninsula SC (JGP/YOG/J2/Jr. Worlds/ISP)
11 Klara Kowar, Aspen SC / TJ Carey, SC of Boston 57.22 (new)
12 Mila Guberman, SC of New York / Joshua Soto, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights (Int7)
13 Vanessa Pham, SC of Houston / Jonathan Rogers, Texas Gulf Coast FSC (N8)
14 Isabella Flores, Broadmoor SC / Dimitry Tsarevski, All Year FSC (new)

Jr. Pairs Free Skate Starting Order - eta replay link: https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/pla...-2009598/8831936a-204a-366d-83ec-ef669080dbd8
1 Mandy Romero, Broadmoor SC / Jake Pagano, Nashville FSC (new)
2 Katherine Eskander, Detroit SC / Jacob Nussle, Detroit SC (new)
3 Catherine Rivers, Knoxville FSC / Timmy Chapman, Central Florida FSC (new; ISP)
4 Isabelle Martins, Chicago FSC / Ryan Bedard, Northern Ice SC (JGP/J5/ISP)
6 Valentina Plazas, Panthers FSC / Maximiliano Fernandez, Arctic FSC (new)
7 Sydney Cooke, Elite Edge SC / Keyton Bearinger, Detroit SC (new)
8 Haley Conrad, Dallas FSC / Kristofer Ogren, Kansas City FSC (new)
9 Juliette Reed, Skokie Valley SC / Jordan Gillette, Skokie Valley SC (N4)
10 Anastasiia Smirnova, Yarmouth Ice Club / Danil Siianytsia, All Year FSC (JGP/J2/Jr. Worlds/ISP)
11 Megan Voigt, Southwest Florida FSC / Chase Finster, Northern Kentucky SC (new)
12 Hannah Kim, Glacier Falls FSC / Scott Dudley, All Year FSC (new)
13 Aleksandra Prudsky, SC of Houston / Daniel Tioumentsev, Dallas FSC (new; ISP)
WD Haley Scott, Champions Edge SC / Nick Hubbart, Champions Edge SC (new; ISP)

Last edited:

Debbie S

Thanks, @Sylvia - how did you find Jr Dance? I tried to pull it up on my TV and looked in the figure skating channel and searched "skate". I have apparently flunked the intelligence test. :huh:

Sylvia

TBD
I use my laptop to watch Peacock Premium and Jr. Free Dance in the search box brings it up for me. USFS is aware of the searching issues and plans to address them with Peacock.

Jr. FD hasn't started streaming for me yet.

Sylvia

TBD
@Sylvia Do you know why Wren Warne-Jacobsen withdrew?
@meggonzo - I was informed that Wren planned to film and submit a Junior FS video but the closure of the Minnesota rinks disrupted her training and so the decision was made to withdraw and look ahead to next season.

On a related note... Trudy Oltmanns, who coaches the 2020 U.S. Junior Pairs silver medalists Anastasiia Smirnova & Danil Siianytsia in Shakopee, MN, had to travel with them to Sioux City, Iowa in late November in order to train and record their free skate for this virtual qualifying competition:

maureenfarone

mtnskater

Yes, give all the points to Eric Prober for a clutch performance among clueless skaters (looked like a public session) contantly getting in his way. That’s determination 🤩

However by far and away for me the revelation of the Junior Men’s free was Lucas Broussard 👏👏👏👏. What a gorgeous skater he is at 14 (I think). Stretch, line, pointed toes. Obviously studies ballet. High, floaty gorgeous jumps. Give him a triple axel and a quad soon hopefully.

Also noticed Samuel Mindra and Joseph Klein!

For the ladies Isabeau Levito is giving me shades of Sasha Cohen. Her jumps are definitely improving. Love her skating. Also really impressed with Kanon Smith. Lovely style for one so small. Clare Seo also surprised. Hadn’t seen her before.

Now to watch the junior pairs and dance.

Looking forward to watching Junior Nationals after Seniors this year.

sk8nlizard

I feel we should add bonus points for doing any 3-3 or 3 axels while dodging in between public skaters. Hopefully only in 2021, but it's definitely more difficult (Eric Prober's 3 sal-euler-3sal at 11:30 here :lol: https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/pla...-2009595/fd9b99a1-d38e-317b-a683-d9c547496283)
This is the first time I saw this, he should definitely get bonus points! That lady in the coat could barely stand on skates, although she was cheering for him, 😂. Also on his triple sale combo, he about took out the adult public session skaters! I was super Impressed, he has gained a fan!

BittyBug

Disgusted
If they were skating on a freestyle session for which they along with several other skaters had each paid the same amount of money for the ice time, then not everyone else may have felt it worth wasting the money they paid for the ice time to get out of the way of someone who had paid the same amount.

For skaters entering the virtual event to reserve ice time guaranteed to have no one else on the ice would be a lot more expensive for them.
GMAFB. A 45 to 50 minute ice session costs $20 more or less. We're talking about 4 minutes out of the entire session, and skaters couldn't give the competitor the courtesy of getting off the ice?

I can't tell you how many times I got off the ice or stayed by the boards for national competitors when I used to skate. It's just common courtesy.

Carolla5501

GMAFB. A 45 to 50 minute ice session costs $20 more or less. We're talking about 4 minutes out of the entire session, and skaters couldn't give the competitor the courtesy of getting off the ice?

I can't tell you how many times I got off the ice or stayed by the boards for national competitors when I used to skate. It's just common courtesy.

Unless someone told them what was going on they may not have had a clue. So unless you know an announcement was made and the skaters chose to ignore it I think maybe we can quit "blaming" the other skaters.

I honestly find it hard to imagine that the ONLY time this skater does his skating is during the public session so I wonder why his coaches thought "now is a great time to do a video"

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
We can't get peacock in Canada but I've been finding some of the videos on youtube - I'm impressed with Gracie and her triple lutz triple toe, she must have been working hard. I just wish I could see all of them, especially the juniors.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Unless someone told them what was going on they may not have had a clue. So unless you know an announcement was made and the skaters chose to ignore it I think maybe we can quit "blaming" the other skaters.

I honestly find it hard to imagine that the ONLY time this skater does his skating is during the public session so I wonder why his coaches thought "now is a great time to do a video"

Exactly - unless the rink announced what was happening on the PA system and asked people to step off the ice, people at a public session would have no idea that the "event" was happening, or that they should step aside. This is a public session, not a freestyle.

On the freestyles where I skate, we don't stay by the boards while the elite level skaters are doing their programs. First, because we'd be by the boards the entire freestyle some days :lol: Second, because there's no expectation that we do so. We need to stay out of the way of people who are on music, but we're skating, so long as we aren't skating where they are skating - so if someone's doing a quad down the other end of the rink, we're free to skate on the other end of the rink. And yes, if a skater is moving into the Lutz corner to try a quad Lutz, we're out of the way. But these are freestyles, so people know the rules and etc.

Last edited:

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
If anyone has a link to Eric's "skating this thing on public ice" performance that isn't behind a paywall, please let me know.

Sylvia

TBD
However by far and away for me the revelation of the Junior Men’s free was Lucas Broussard 👏👏👏👏. What a gorgeous skater he is at 14 (I think). Stretch, line, pointed toes. Obviously studies ballet. High, floaty gorgeous jumps.
Glad you enjoyed watching him, @mtnskater! :) I praised Broussard's SP music and skating last year when he competed at the Intermediate and Novice levels in the U.S. Men's thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ason-news-updates.105723/page-10#post-5645295

Also noticed Samuel Mindra
Mindra was not named in this local Oregon article that was published last month - it details his coach's many challenges this season, including procuring ice (at a semi-enclosed rink in Klamath Falls, OR) for training and filming his Junior free skate for the virtual Nationals qualifying competition (at least he was about to film his program without any other skaters on the ice):

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am somewhat :yikes: that people would film on a public session and not a freestyle session. That's either very poor planning or desperation on the part of the team.

I still say that those kids should have had the rink make some sort of accommodation for them such as letting them get on the ice and do their program first at the start of a session. I feel bad that they skate somewhere that this was not possible for whatever reason.

mtnskater

Sylvia, thanks for posting about Lucas and also Mindra’s coaching/rink situation! I was wondering what rink they filmed his video entry on because I thought it was very beautiful and want to skate there sometime. It looked like it was partially open air, which can mean hard to control ice temperature. Glad Mindra could skate so well on it.

gkelly

I am somewhat :yikes: that people would film on a public session and not a freestyle session. That's either very poor planning or desperation on the part of the team.

It wasn't a very crowded public session. There were very low-skilled skaters on the ice, but there may have been fewer of them than on the freestyle sessions available. How many ice surfaces does that facility have? How much ice time is dedicated to hockey? For all we know, that may have been the emptiest session available.

I still say that those kids should have had the rink make some sort of accommodation for them such as letting them get on the ice and do their program first at the start of a session. I feel bad that they skate somewhere that this was not possible for whatever reason.

There will be different situations at different clubs and rinks, and in some cases for different skaters at the same rink.

Is it a training center where a group of elite skaters who all needed to film videos tend to skate the same sessions and can plan to dedicate one or more specific sessions to take turns filming?

Does the club own the ice, or rent specific ice times from the rink for club activities with the option to add an extra one in a given week based on need, and are they thus able to set aside ice time for this purpose for several of their members who are making the films?

Did the rink have some empty ice time they would be willing to sell to a single skater in a smaller chunk of time than a regular freestyle session, but at a non-exorbitant price for getting the ice to themselves? Even if the rink would prorate the typical hourly rental cost of the ice, they still might be looking for $100 for 15 minutes of dedicated ice time, vs. $15-20 admission fee for a regularly scheduled hour of freestyle ice.

Were rinks where the skaters usually train shut down the week they needed to make their videos, or were schedules constantly changing?

When were the proctors to verify the filming available at the same time as the skater and coach and/or other person making the video?

On regularly scheduled rink freestyles, were other skaters taking lessons during the same time and entitled to their full money's worth from both the ice time and their coaches' time?

Would the rinks have known in advance when one or more skaters planned to film a performance, so they could warn in advance all other skaters who had signed up for that session what to expect? Or did the rinks allow skaters to walk in and pay for a session without advance notice -- either the skaters making videos or anyone else who showed up and wanted to skate on that session?

And so forth.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Bumping this thread back up to post the Novice virtual competition results that qualfied skaters for the 2021 U.S. National High Performance Development Team...

Results are available for Novice Ladies, Men and Pairs and Juvenile, Intermediate and Novice Ice Dance (those links are copied out below, along with the links to the top 4 videos to date) on the Novice/Intermediate/Juvenile Competition Central page: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...ntermediate-juvenile-competition-central.aspx

Results & protocols page: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/29798/index.asp

Novice
Novice Ladies - WATCH (Top 4)
Novice Ladies Combined Free Skate Results (83 submitted FS videos to be judged)

Novice Men - WATCH (Top 4)
Novice Men Combined Free Skate Results (22 submitted FS videos to be judged)

Novice Pairs - WATCH (Top 4)
Novice Pairs Free Skate Results (9 teams)

Novice Ice Dance - WATCH (Top 4)
Novice Free Dance Results (10 teams)

Top 4 free dance videos not yet posted:

Intermediate
Intermediate Free Dance Results (10 teams)

Juvenile
Juvenile Free Dance Results (10 teams)

Qualifiers for the 2021 National Development Team (alphabetical): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...rs_for_the_2021_National_Development_Team.pdf
(Athletes performing in the juvenile/intermediate singles & pairs audition who qualify for the 2021 National Development Team will be added to this document the week of March 29, 2021.)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
[U.S. Championship Series Novice Singles/Pairs, Juv.-Nov. FD] Results & protocols page: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/29798/index.asp

Novice
Novice Ladies - WATCH (Top 4)
Novice Ladies Combined Free Skate Results (83 submitted FS videos to be judged)
Fan Zone article by @Jayar on Katie Krafchik, age 12, who won the Novice Ladies (94.90 in FS) virtual competition title, landing 5 triples (including 2 3Lo & two 3S):
Excerpt:
As she prepares for the new competitive season, Krafchik is working hard to improve all aspects of her skating. She has decided to keep her programs for another season but will upgrade the transitions and work on improving the technical levels. A triple flip is in the works, and once it is ready it will be put into her free skate. After that, she is hoping to add a triple Lutz to her arsenal.
"Jumps are the big goal," she said. "But I need to get strong off the ice before I can start thinking about doing the bigger jumps on the ice."
Krafchik currently plans to compete as a novice again in the 2021-22 season and hopes to qualify for the 2022 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships at the junior level one way or another.
"I'm staying focused on the work that I have to do, and the decision to move up or not will come when the time is right," she teased. "My goal right now is to make the top four in novice next year so that I qualify for the U.S. Championships."
Gilberto Viadana, a two-time Olympian for Italy, is Krafchik's coach and Elena Pavlova (still married to Alexander Abt?) choreographed her programs, including her "Smile"/Charlie Chaplin-themed FS that can be watched in the quoted link above.

Sylvia

TBD
FD videos were uploaded on April 15:
Intermediate Ice Dance - WATCH (Top 4)
Juvenile Ice Dance - WATCH (Top 4)

2021 U.S. Championship Series (VIRTUAL Novice, Intermediate, Juvenile) Competition Central page:

Videos were uploaded in the Fan Zone in early April (click on the links copied below to watch the top 4 in each category):

Juvenile/Intermediate Ladies 10 and Under - WATCH (Top 4)
Juvenile/Intermediate Ladies 10 and Under Free Skate Results

Juvenile/Intermediate Ladies 11-13 - WATCH (Top 4)
Juvenile/Intermediate Ladies 11-13 Free Skate Results

Juvenile/Intermediate Ladies 14 and Up - WATCH (Top 4)
Juvenile/Intermediate Ladies 14 and Up Free Skate Results

Juvenile/Intermediate Men 13 and Under - WATCH (Top 4)
Juvenile/Intermediate Men 13 and Under Free Skate Results

Juvenile/Intermediate Men 14 and Up - WATCH (Top 4)
Juvenile/Intermediate Men 14 and Up Free Skate Results

Juvenile/Intermediate Pairs - WATCH (Top 4)
Juvenile/Intermediate Pairs Free Skate Results

Intermediate Ladies & Men/Juvenile Girls & Boys/Juvenile-Intermediate Pairs results & protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/31521/index.asp

mattiecat13

Will there be a Philadelphia Summer Competition this year? I looked at the website and it says July 27-31 but there isn’t a year listed so I’m not sure if that was for last year? @Sylvia help!

Sylvia

TBD
Will there be a Philadelphia Summer Competition this year?
It's not listed on USFS' website yet - may be awaiting USFS' sanction? ETA that I've just been told it's being planned as a club competition only.

There is a spring show at IceWorks in Aston this weekend (May 14-16 with Gracie Gold & guest skater Mirai Nagasu):

I was planning to start a 2021 U.S. Club Competitions thread this weekend and list the major comps that are scheduled to date.

Last edited:

Debbie S

It's not listed on USFS' website yet - may be awaiting USFS' sanction? ETA that I've just been told it's being planned as a club competition only.
Meaning only for members of Ice Works? So they aren't hosting Collegiates?

There is a spring show at IceWorks in Aston this weekend (May 14-16 with Gracie Gold & guest skater Mirai Nagasu):
I got excited when I saw they were offering a live stream. Then saw it was $27.50 (which is also what they're charging for admission :eek:), so no. (Maybe Gracie or Mirai will post clips afterward on their respective IGs.)

mattiecat13

So does that mean only skaters who belong to that club are competing? My friends and I were planning to meet in Aston and combine our “girly weekend” with watching some live skating. We were hoping to see some international skaters competing since it’s the start of the Olympic season. Thank you for your help, Sylvia!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information