2021 US Nationals Mens SP: Drunken Matador Scandalizes Corrugated Crowd

mtnskater

Great competition today. So many good performances to appreciate.

Random comments:

I would like to give all the men Ryan Dunk posture...except for Jason, he already has it.

Nathan...I am one of his biggest fans and almost all skaters would kill to land a slightly scratchy opening quad lutz but of course Nathan was not happy with it. Fantastic footwork and his spins seemed very on. He really does need a costume intervention though. At least wear a red shirt or something that hints of Spanish music on top. This is both a sport and performance art. You don’t see t-shirts at the ballet. I think some of the impression of the Spanish program is lost because of the lack of a costume. I’d also like him to keep his chin up more...see Ryan Dunk.

Vincent was the best I’ve ever seen from him. Personally love that piece of music and love it for him. A memorable performance for me. ❤️

Jason...just beyond amazing mind blowing skating performance and spinning. 🤩 I will be so bummed when he retires. Triple axel was a swish. Deserves a million points for what he does.

I really loved Camden’s performance even with the pop. Such a beautiful artist. The axel was a beauty too.

Paniot’s quad flip...the height 😳 I like him and find him very interesting to watch. He was blessed with great hair 😄

Ma and his swagger 😎 A bit surprised he is in 6th...but he did rotate the quad.

Naumov had a great debut and I really enjoyed his all around good skating. He controlled his energy better here than in the practices.

Very heart broken for Tomoki who seemed to be practicing well. He has enough tech to move up.

Also sad for Kras. He never seems to improve his skating skills or spins. In fact I have the impression Letov‘s camp is not great in teaching those skills. USFS should send him to Scali!

Sjoberg had a very good senior debut to my eyes, but he didn’t seem super happy. He was doing the wierd look away jump technique with his head that I’m sure RAF is trying to fix....not sure he does that all the time.

Deep field and we were still missing Ilia Malinin and Andrew Torgashev!

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I was sorry to see some of the skaters make mistakes that really cost them, but loved the performances from a number of skaters including Nathan, Vincent and Jason. I went back and rewatched all of their programs. I really enjoyed each of those programs for different reasons. Vincent had great jumps but has also developed a nice calm, smooth style. Nathan has the swagger and gives such a complete performance. Jason's SP is just non-stop choreography, such artistry and interesting movements.

skateboy

I mean I feel like that was kind of a nervy skate. He didn't do the spread eagle out of the axle. But he's also just so good that a nervy skate can beat just about anyone else.
Call me crazy, but I've always felt that the spread eagle out of the 3A (for both Nathan and Yuzu) was kind of a cover for when the landing wasn't all that solid.

I prefer a great landing with flow, and Nathan's 3A has improved so much.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Call me crazy, but I've always felt that the spread eagle out of the 3A (for both Nathan and Yuzu) was kind of a cover for when the landing wasn't all that solid.

I prefer a great landing with flow, and Nathan's 3A has improved so much.
That's because 50% of the time it is a cover up for a wonky landing haha. But yes, Nathan has improved a great deal

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
Since Adam's name has entered the conversation..

Adam Rippon
@AdamRippon

I think
@jasonbskates
is amazing

Loudly crying face

Loudly crying face

Loudly crying face

Loudly crying face

Loudly crying face

Loudly crying face

Loudly crying face

Loudly crying face

5:51 PM · Jan 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Retweets

Quote Tweets

Adam Rippon
@AdamRippon

·
2h

Replying to
@AdamRippon
Honestly. A perfect skater.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Judge number three gave both Vincent Zhou and Jason Brown 9.00 for skating skills.

Judge number three thinks Vincent Zhou has the same skating skills level as Jason Brown.

What the actual fcuk. I know there's US Nats fcukery but that's just...

Judge three also gave them the same score for Performance.

Judge three also gave Nathan Chen a higher skating skills mark than Jason Brown.

Judge three should be sent back to PCS school.

Do you ever think about how much you have in common with the Hanyu fans on twitter who freak out that Hanyu only got an ALMOST perfect score? This is really unnecessary. Jason essentially enjoys the reputation of the only man who can compete on a world stage without a quad, so you really don't need to have a constant persecution complex about it.

skatingguy

decently
Do you ever think about how much you have in common with the Hanyu fans on twitter who freak out that Hanyu only got an ALMOST perfect score? This is really unnecessary. Jason essentially enjoys the reputation of the only man who can compete on a world stage without a quad, so you really don't need to have a constant persecution complex about it.
I don't think that's a persecution complex. We're not talking about Max here. There is no excuse for a judge having Jason's PCS at or below the level of either Jason or Vincent. There both good, but Jason (Kolyada as well) is the standard for everything outside of jump difficulty in skating right now, and he should be rewarded as such.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I don't think that's a persecution complex. We're not talking about Max here. There is no excuse for a judge having Jason's PCS at or below the level of either Jason or Vincent. There both good, but Jason (Kolyada as well) is the standard for everything outside of jump difficulty in skating right now, and he should be rewarded as such.

You haven't been paying much attention the last four years if you think that.

The judges are also not actually supposed to use PCS to rank and, as such, aren't supposed to have memorized what they gave Vincent 10 skaters ago so they can mark Jason higher. So scrutinizing each individual score for each individual judge and then freaking out about one score from one judge when the results come out essentially right is seriously beating a dead horse.

Vagabond

I'm watching Braulio's videos.

During Paniot's FS, Weir explains that judges can award GOE of up to +5 "for an exemplary element" and -5 "for a complete disaster." He then says it is "completely up the judges' discretion to decide what they feel the element is worth."

That may well be how it actually works, but :duh:.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I'm watching Braulio's videos.

During Paniot's FS, Weir explains that judges can award GOE of up to +5 "for an exemplary element" and -5 "for a complete disaster. He then says it is "completely up the judges' discretion to decide what they feel the element is worth."

That may well be how it actually works, but :duh:.
For real. At least talk about bullet points and how it should work before talking about how it may actually work in real life. But Johnny may be out of time.

Dobre

Has he ever landed a rotated 4r in competition?
The answer is now yes. Took Krasnozhon a long time, but he had a clean quad loop at last season's U.S. Classic. Think that may have been the first one, but as someone else said, he got at least one at SA also.
3 Russians, 3 Japanese, & 2 Koreans disagree.
Poor Korean girls have struggled to get ice this year. I hope they will be OK for Worlds, but think it has been really tough.
All Nathan Chen costumes will eventually be simplified down into black-and-white casualwear.
Vera Wang was totally the wrong sponsor. He needs some company that just sells plain white t-shirts, sweats, & sweatshirts.
If Nathan can follow Hanyu with all those crazy fans with Pooh multiple times in his career and skate well or knock IG out of the park, he can take any Nationals pressure.
Nathan is a Michelle. We all know where the pressure will be. It comes around once every four years.🙏 May he be his normal self there the second time around.
So, what’s going on with Camden? Is it nerves? His coaches? Wearing Joshua Farris’ costumes? Personal? Injuries? Something else?
Na, it's just Camden. Plus, needs more experience. All the guys on the cusp needed an international season to build off of & instead they got to come here still as the guys on the cusp. (Which last year was good enough for a medal, but this year Vincent did not take most of the season off).
Also, people talk about the future of the ladies. I think the bigger concern on the horizon is the future of the men. If it's true Nathan and Vincent are quitting after 2022 to go to school - and Jason has never said anything concrete beyond 2022 - then that is going to be a huge problem.
Why? We have whole lovely stable of nice trainwrecky men.

jlai

Question everything
Great competition today. So many good performances to appreciate.

Random comments:

I would like to give all the men Ryan Dunk posture...except for Jason, he already has it.

Nathan...I am one of his biggest fans and almost all skaters would kill to land a slightly scratchy opening quad lutz but of course Nathan was not happy with it. Fantastic footwork and his spins seemed very on. He really does need a costume intervention though. At least wear a red shirt or something that hints of Spanish music on top. This is both a sport and performance art. You don’t see t-shirts at the ballet. I think some of the impression of the Spanish program is lost because of the lack of a costume. I’d also like him to keep his chin up more...see Ryan Dunk.

Vincent was the best I’ve ever seen from him. Personally love that piece of music and love it for him. A memorable performance for me. ❤️

Jason...just beyond amazing mind blowing skating performance and spinning. 🤩 I will be so bummed when he retires. Triple axel was a swish. Deserves a million points for what he does.

I really loved Camden’s performance even with the pop. Such a beautiful artist. The axel was a beauty too.

Paniot’s quad flip...the height 😳 I like him and find him very interesting to watch. He was blessed with great hair 😄

Ma and his swagger 😎 A bit surprised he is in 6th...but he did rotate the quad.

Naumov had a great debut and I really enjoyed his all around good skating. He controlled his energy better here than in the practices.

Very heart broken for Tomoki who seemed to be practicing well. He has enough tech to move up.

Also sad for Kras. He never seems to improve his skating skills or spins. In fact I have the impression Letov‘s camp is not great in teaching those skills. USFS should send him to Scali!

Sjoberg had a very good senior debut to my eyes, but he didn’t seem super happy. He was doing the wierd look away jump technique with his head that I’m sure RAF is trying to fix....not sure he does that all the time.

Deep field and we were still missing Ilia Malinin and Andrew Torgashev!
Alexei used to be with the Cains. His skating skills really improved under them but his jumps didn't, imho. It's tough.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Judge number three gave both Vincent Zhou and Jason Brown 9.00 for skating skills.

Judge number three thinks Vincent Zhou has the same skating skills level as Jason Brown.

What the actual fcuk. I know there's US Nats fcukery but that's just...

Judge three also gave them the same score for Performance.

Judge three also gave Nathan Chen a higher skating skills mark than Jason Brown.

Judge three should be sent back to PCS school.
The judges saw transactions in Kim's skate, so....

Sylvia

TBD
I've posted an SP recap article with excerpts in the U.S. Men's thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...eason-news-updates.107352/page-5#post-5938834
Link to read the entire article by Lynn Rutherford: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2021/J...rst-Step-To-Five-Peat-At-The-US-Championships

Jason Q&A article by Rutherford:

Men's SP recap of the top 3 by Phil Hersh:

bardtoob

Wow. I felt something from Vincent Zhou's skating . . .

. . . and by felt something I do not mean the frazzled intensity of having skating in his life somewhere between going to class, doing homework, practicing music . . . washing the dishes, and mowing the lawn.

I hope he keeps doing more of that kind of skating.

jlai

Question everything
Tech panel is super strict with spins today and not GOE happy, either. Chen is doing the jumps but they are all a bit labored IMO and not worth the outrageous GOE.

I didn't think I would ever be saying this, but I think Vincent was better.
I went back and watched the top 3. AMong those trio, Vincent didn't get near the boards very often, which made me think maybe his ice coverage isn't quite as good as the other two. Nathan got near the board more often than I thought, and Jason, by about half of the program, had reached the boards as often as the other two combined.

I'm no expert, though; this is one instance I would have loved to watch live

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information