2021 US Nationals Junior Ladies

Jammers

Pretty good competition especially compared to the senior ladies. Some real talent coming up like Kanon Smith. Clare Seo had the best speed and skating skills of all of all of the girls and real good jumps too. How old is she? From top to bottom this was one of the strongest group of junior ladies in years where sometimes there might be a couple of strong girls but then not much else after that.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Pretty good competition especially compared to the senior ladies. Some real talent coming up like Kanon Smith. Clare Seo had the best speed and skating skills of all of all of the girls and real good jumps too. How old is she? From top to bottom this was one of the strongest group of junior ladies in years where sometimes there might be a couple of strong girls but then not much else after that.
Sylvia listed everyone's ages in her first post (just so you know where I got my info from). Clare Seo is 14.

Sylvia

TBD
SP protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/27989/SEGM009.html

1 Isabeau Levito, SC Of Southern New Jersey 65.66
2 Kanon Smith, All Year FSC 62.52
3 Clare Seo, Broadmoor SC 60.27
4 Kate Wang, SC of San Francisco 58.28
5 Tamnhi Huynh, Dallas FSC 57.94
6 Adele Zheng, DuPage FSC 55.83
7 Elsa Cheng, Skokie Valley SC 53.75
8 Ava Ziegler, SC of New York 53.73
9 Abigail Ross, Wasatch FSC 53.35
10 Mia Kalin, St. Moritz ISC 51.92
11 Jessica Lin, Dallas FSC 51.55
12 Maryn Pierce, Broadmoor SC 41.05

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Very enjoyable competition among Jr Ladies!

1. Isabeau Levito - quite polished with zippy rotations in the air. Closest to the Eteri-Sambo70 look and style! Reminds me a lot of Sr Lady Lindsay Thorngren.

2. Kanon Smith (aka Mary Poppins), so cute and talented.

3. Clare Seo- Real gravitas...likely to succeed as a senior. Too bad about the fall or she’d be 2nd.

Among the others, I truly enjoyed the skating skills, maturity and overall style of Tamnhi Huynh (5th).

Tinami Amori

The Juniors are outperforming the Seniors so far!
I second to that! 9 out of 12 girls had 3-3 combos, which is better than the count for Seniors. (4 girls in the 2 groups look like they belong with Seniors.... :slinkaway)

Kanon is cute, looks like young Nagasu... :). Levito is wonderful (my fav US youngster for some time now).

Sylvia

TBD
Here's what I posted about Kanon Smith last September in the U.S. Ladies thread (includes a link to watch her Novice FS to "A Million Dreams" from The Greatest Showman OST via Twitter): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...th-adjusted-vision.107389/page-3#post-5860125
Skaters in USFS' Athlete High Performance Development Pool were allowed to submit a Junior FS video for judging in the Nationals qualifying virtual competition without having tested up.

Tammy Gambill is Kanon's primary coach (she was her coach when she won the Juvenile Girls title two years ago and subsequently was invited to perform at 4CC in Anaheim); Alex Chang choreographed her programs. He's not listed in the event program book but Jonathan Cassar assists with Kanon's coaching in the San Diego area.

ETA that I've posted the link to the Juniors Day 1 recap article here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...m-las-vegas-2021-us-nats.107964/#post-5943147
Quotes from the top 2 after the SP:
For her first time competing in front of fan cutouts due to COVID-19 protocol, Levito hardly even noticed.
"I always try to connect more with the judges, and before I get into my position I'm always so focused that I don't hear anything anyway, so it was pretty normal," she explained. "During the practices it was weird, but during the competition it was normal enough."
"I think I did well, considering I had a bloody nose," Smith said, explaining that her nose began to unexpectedly bleed while doing a flying camel spin on practice ice. It continued during her competition performance.
Smith, 12, had been wanting to embody the Poppins character for years and said her mother signed off on the choice this season. Her costume was inspired by three-time World champion Mao Asada's 2012-13 exhibition program.
"I was really happy that I could do Mary Poppins because it really relates to my personality and energy," Smith said. "I watched both the new one and the old one, and I really took notes about the character and really tried to perform and be like Mary Poppins."

Last edited:

Jammers

USFS needs to nurture some of these junior girls especially after the Olympics since so many of the senior ladies will no doubt retire. Get them a jump coach or a coach to work on skating skills if their primary coach is willing to allow it because there is a lot of talent at the moment in juniors and it needs to be brought along the right way. What i like about both Clare and Kanon is they both skate with speed which is something the younger american girls lack compared to their Russian, Japanese and even South Korean counterparts.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Ladies FS starting order (2:45-4:26 pm local / 5:45-7:26 pm ET): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/27989/CAT005SEG010.html

Team USA bios (USFS' current ISP skaters) are linked in names below.

1 Jessica Lin, Dallas FSC - "Slow Dance in the Big City" by Bill Conti; choreo. by Misha Ge
2 Mia Kalin, St. Moritz ISC - "Light of the Seven" (from Game of Thrones) by Ramin Djawadi; choreo. by Evgenia Chernyshova
3 Abigail Ross, Wasatch FSC - "Ashes" by Celine Dion; choreo. by Alex Chang
4 Elsa Cheng, Skokie Valley SC - Angels and Demons OST & "Victory" by Thomas Bergersen; choreo. by Shanetta Folle
5 Ava Ziegler, SC of New York - "Never Enough" performed by Loren Allred (from The Greatest Showman OST); choreo. by Anna Zadorozhniuk
6 Maryn Pierce, Broadmoor SC - Music from the Titanic OST by James Horner; choreo. by Becky Calvin and/or Catarina Lindgren

7 Kate Wang, SC of San Francisco - Tango program with "Haunted Heart" by Christina Aguilera in the middle; choreo. by Derrick Delmore
8 Kanon Smith, All Year FSC - "A Million Dreams" (from The Greatest Showman OST); choreo. by Alex Chang
9 Clare Seo, Broadmoor SC - "Jean de Florette" from Manon of the Spring; choreo. by Hojung Lee
10 Tamnhi Huynh, Dallas FSC - "Art on Ice" by Edvin Marton; choreo. by Olga Ganicheva, Evgeni Nemirovskii
11 Isabeau Levito, SC Of Southern New Jersey - "Malaguena" Ernesto Lecuona; choreo. by her coach Yulia Kuznetsova
12 Adele Zheng, DuPage FSC - "Sentimental Flower" (Chinese song) by Yu Lina; choreo. by Benoit Richaud and/or Shanetta Folle

ETA: Ages of the skaters are listed in parentheses in post #1 of this thread.

Last edited:

Jammers

Mia needs to work on her speed and power she has nice jumps but more speed and power will help her with those jumps but she does get nice lift.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I hope the next few girls skate to something catchy, or I'm going to have "Never enough, never, never, never enough, never, never, never enough, never, never" in my head all night. :scream:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information