2021 Russian Nationals Ladies SP

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Another one with "Eteri hate" glasses on..... :). Last year Trusova was one of the most disliked skaters on FSU, with every skating fault possible. This year she is with Plushenko, so suddenly people "like and defend her". Same as it was with Medvedeva. If Valieva moves on to another coach, here on FSU she'll become "genius of all skaters".......:D

Trusova's skate was very average, without quads and 3A's, and with her new "girly" image, her skating is not that special, as it used to be when she was "russian rocket tom-boy". Back then when she was in Khrustalniy, Trusova never placed above 3rd in SP, several skaters, including Shcherbakova and Kostornaya used to place above her.
Now I can very clearly and confidently say I defended Trusova quite a bit last season and the receipts are there. I don’t think it’s anything to do with all this Eteri hate, because guess what? I bet 90% of this board really didn’t care for Plushenko in his skating days and they probably don’t like him much more now, except maybe when comparing to moronic Yagudin.

Trusova is much improved, most importantly for me in the sense that she’s actually taking her time with choreography that makes sense and not just skating through it with 1000 transitions. And with that is also a stronger foundation and basics as she’s holding things rather than flailing on weak edges to fit everything in. But don’t get me wrong on Valieva, her program is one of the rare Daniil wins IMO.

Tinami Amori

Now I can very clearly and confidently say I defended Trusova quite a bit last season and the receipts are there. I don’t think it’s anything to do with all this Eteri hate, because guess what? I bet 90% of this board really didn’t care for Plushenko in his skating days and they probably don’t like him much more now, except maybe when comparing to moronic Yagudin.

Trusova is much improved, most importantly for me in the sense that she’s actually taking her time with choreography that makes sense and not just skating through it with 1000 transitions. And with that is also a stronger foundation and basics as she’s holding things rather than flailing on weak edges to fit everything in. But don’t get me wrong on Valieva, her program is one of the rare Daniil wins IMO.
I don't agree that she "improved under Plushenko", she simply became more mature and the same would have happened at Sambo, IF AND IF she would have let the coaches work with her on something other than jumps.

As to the earlier comment about Plushenko... there is history on FSU, since 2002. Pluchenko was "bad", Yagudin was "good" back then, after all he wore the Canadian Team jacket and said Berezh/Sukh should have been 2nd.. :). Plushenko for a while lost out to Yagudin in any arguments... :)........ until he stole Eteri's skaters, now he very quickly developed some "qualities".... :). I see a pattern and i am calling it out... :). It often has nothing to do with "quality" but many other personal prefs...

zoe111

Agreed. I’ve never actually had an issue with Eteri and all my posts back that up. I’ve always preferred the Russian skaters and Medvedeva, Kostornaia and Usacheva are the ones I’ve always liked. Tinami that’s kind of an uninformed defensive comment based on zero knowledge whatsoever. Trusova’s score was lower technically because of the edge warning on the flip but the rest was first rate. She’s faster with much springier, easy looking jumps in what she did than any of the rest. The top 3 all made significant mistakes and were massively over scored- and I say that as a devoted Usacheva fan.

tony

I don't agree that she "improved under Plushenko", she simply became more mature and the same would have happened at Sambo, IF AND IF she would have let the coaches work with her on something other than jumps.

As to the earlier comment about Plushenko... there is history on FSU, since 2002. Pluchenko was "bad", Yagudin was "good" back then, after all he wore the Canadian Team jacket and said Berezh/Sukh should have been 2nd.. :). Plushenko for a while lost out to Yagudin in any arguments... :)........ until he stole Eteri's skaters, now he very quickly developed some "qualities".... :). I see a pattern and i am calling it out... :). It often has nothing to do with "quality" but many other personal prefs...
First of all, I didn’t say anything about her improving under Plushenko specifically. I said she’s improved, period. And I think the lack of a million pointless transitions helps.

And I’ve been on FSU since the very beginning, Tinami. I know Plushenko wasn’t well-liked.

And I’m going to repeat: in my case, I like Eteri, I like Daniil’s choreography sometimes and have very much praised the programs he’s gotten right, I think Trusova has improved although I liked her last year too, etc. Your logic doesn’t apply to everyone, and IDGAF about the behind the scenes hypotheticals that some people here try in regards to Eteri and her methods. You’re trying to explain something that I don’t need explained. Trusova is better now. That’s all.

Tinami Amori

First of all, I didn’t say anything about her improving under Plushenko specifically. I said she’s improved, period. And I think the lack of a million pointless transitions helps.

And I’ve been on FSU since the very beginning, Tinami. I know Plushenko wasn’t well-liked.

And I’m going to repeat: in my case, I like Eteri, I like Daniil’s choreography sometimes and have very much praised the programs he’s gotten right, I think Trusova has improved although I liked her last year too, etc. Your logic doesn’t apply to everyone, and IDGAF about the behind the scenes hypotheticals that some people here try in regards to Eteri and her methods. You’re trying to explain something that I don’t need explained. Trusova is better now. Period.
I'll agree that "my logic does not apply to you and few others" but to many more it does... :). Disagree about transitions: there are no million, there are enough to make the programme interesting; they are not pointless, they earn points and make the programme higher in difficulty which is rightfully rewarded.

tony

I'll agree that "my logic does not apply to you and few others"... :). Disagree about transitions: there are no million, there are enough to make the programme interesting; they are not pointless, they earn points and make the programme higher in difficulty which is rightfully rewarded.
I mean, if you want to sit here in your free time and tell me how the extra movements throughout many of Daniil’s programs add anything, feel free. We can start with the first 20 seconds of Zagitova’s free skate last year.

Sometimes you can fill the program with actual edges and not be over the top with flashiness. See Kolyada’s free skate.

kalle

Back then when she was in Khrustalniy, Trusova never placed above 3rd in SP, several skaters, including Shcherbakova and Kostornaya used to place above her.

Well Kostornaia is not here and Kamila and Daria are in my opinion not at Anna S level artistically wise so honestly how the judges put Trusova behind both of them at this stage of the competition was not clear to me.
Had Valieva stood up on her 3A it would have been another story but she didn't (this time..)
No surprise they gave Anna S the highest PCS but for me both Nugu and Trusova had better performances today. I liked Trusovas Per Gynt SP a lot under Eteri so it is not that it is suddenly a big surprise that she can skate to more lyrical music 🙄

Colonel Green

Tough result for LaTuk and Trusova, though they are both close enough to move up in the FS.
After this I’m expecting Trusova to come out all quads blazing in the free, though as we’ve seen the results of that can be highly variable. But if she hits, Usacheva especially doesn’t have a prayer.

Tinami Amori

I mean, if you want to sit here in your free time and tell me how the extra movements throughout many of Daniil’s programs add anything, feel free. We can start with the first 20 seconds of Zagitova’s free skate last year.

Sometimes you can fill the program with actual edges and not be over the top with flashiness. See Kolyada’s free skate.
"anything the extra movements add" can be well seen in scores Tutberidze's students receive nationally and internationally. Very often they sweep the podiums. What's "Flashiness" is subjective. Figure skating IS a sport with "show" elements.

To wrap up this discussion on my end (it started with ! in Trusova's score), i'll post this photo from her today's skate.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Another one with "Eteri hate" glasses on..... :). Last year Trusova was one of the most disliked skaters on FSU, with every skating fault possible. This year she is with Plushenko, so suddenly people "like and defend her". Same as it was with Medvedeva. If Valieva moves on to another coach, here on FSU she'll become "genius of all skaters".......:D

Trusova's skate was very average, without quads and 3A's, and with her new "girly" image, her skating is not that special, as it used to be when she was "russian rocket tom-boy". Back then when she was in Khrustalniy, Trusova never placed above 3rd in SP, several skaters, including Shcherbakova and Kostornaya used to place above her.
I agree with your last paragraph. I didn’t care for her girly image today. It was sort of like Midori Ito trying to be lady like so the judges would give her higher artistic marks. I thought we were past that era. I used to love Trusova’s fire, the ‘ I can do what the men do’ attitude. I hope we will see it in the LP. Until they allow quads in the ladies SP, a 3A will be a must for ladies.

About your first paragraph, I was never a Eteri hater, and I adored Medvedeva, but if the judges start placing Eteri’s skaters unfairly over the students of other coaches (regardless of who the coaches or the skaters are), I will not like it. I did not like Usacheva’s high placement today, for example.

However, it will be wrong to blame Eteri for it. The blame should be on the politics of RSF. Hopefully international judges will be more objective.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
After this I’m expecting Trusova to come out all quads blazing in the free, though as we’ve seen the results of that can be highly variable. But if she hits, Usacheva especially doesn’t have a prayer.
I thought quads we're not, allowed in ladies SP.

And I think trusova got hosed in the SP. Russian Fed has a huge investment in Eteri cranking out those little winners.
Has Eteri ever successfully trained someone over 17?

She is quite wonderful at what she does...have those youngsters on the podium. But her skaters are injured and finished at 17. Julia, Med, Alina Z.

tony

I thought quads we're not, allowed in ladies SP.

And I think trusova got hosed in the SP. Russian Fed has a huge investment in Eteri cranking out those little winners.
Has Eteri ever successfully trained someone over 17?

She is quite wonderful at what she does...have those youngsters on the podium. But her skaters are injured and finished at 17. Julia, Med, Alina Z.

First, there’s nothing about quads in the SP being stated in the post you quoted. But no, quads are not allowed in the ladies SP as of yet.

Second, Medvedeva is the reigning World bronze medalist and Zagitova is the reigning World Champ. I wouldn’t blame Eteri for the fizzling out, there are just too many ladies coming up that always step up the game and unless you’re someone like Tuktamysheva willing to work your ass off technically, you’ll likely get left behind.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
First, there’s nothing about quads in the SP being stated in the post you quoted. But no, quads are not allowed in the ladies SP as of yet.

Second, Medvedeva is the reigning World bronze medalist and Zagitova is the reigning World Champ. I wouldn’t blame Eteri for the fizzling out, there are just too many ladies coming up that always step up the game and unless you’re someone like Tuktamysheva willing to work your ass off technically, you’ll likely get left behind.
The post I quoted says people expected Trusova come out quads ablazing.

And you are accurate about the world standings. My point however was that even those Eteri stars were injured and couldn't keep skating.

mjb52

I'm not sure it's about what the judges want, I feel like Trusova herself wants to try something different. I loved her whole image too, but she's a teenage girl and I get the impression this about exploring her femininity not for the judges but for herself. That is obviously pure speculation on my part!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm not sure it's about what the judges want, I feel like Trusova herself wants to try something different. I loved her whole image too, but she's a teenage girl and I get the impression this about exploring her femininity not for the judges but for herself. That is obviously pure speculation on my part!
You may be right. Trusova has always done what she wanted to do. It is not out of the realm of possibilities that she may want to try something different, like being a pretty princess.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I think Trusova has matured and her skating seems softer and shes actually interpreting the music. The coaching change seems to have helped her. Valieva is such a great skater but she seems to be growing alot so will be interesting what happens. I hope Le Tuk has a great free as well.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Almost at the end of the second group, Shcherbakova skated well but she really doesn’t sound well yet. I like Valieva’s SP and it’s a good fit for her (unlike her FP). Why she is attempting to land a 3A with her arms over her head when it’s not even a consistent jump for her yet...I don’t know!
Trusova was totally robbed. Physique wise, she looks so fit and strong though, hopefully she can come out firing and nail the FP too. Love Spartacus for Tuk but a few little bugs there.

Favourites: Onishchenko and Nugu 💕💕
Least favourites: Visually impaired judges!!!

zoe111

According to Mishin, Liza will most likely withdraw from LP, she hasn’t completely recovered from c19 and is too weak to skate the long program
Personally I think Scherbakova should too. She looked like she felt awful after the short- it was painful to watch

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I'll agree that "my logic does not apply to you and few others" but to many more it does... :). Disagree about transitions: there are no million, there are enough to make the programme interesting; they are not pointless, they earn points and make the programme higher in difficulty which is rightfully rewarded.
As a huge Trusova fan for three years now, I’m also not the least bit influenced by her coaching. And my problem with Valieva is her lack of personality on ice, not her coach.

Was not a Plushy fan when he skated and think his reality-TV antics now are trashy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information