2021 Men FS - Voulez-Pooh

Carolla5501

But there's a difference between wuzrobbing your faves on a message board and constantly harassing the ISU all day every day and others on social media because you think they got it so wrong.
Good point.

I don’t really play on Twitter so I probably miss the most hysterical fans.

But reading in here Yuma needs to move before one of those crazies goes Tonya Harding

My biggest issue with Hanyu is do you want to leave people remembering you as amazing. I’m afraid we’re going to remember some subpar skates. And I think he can still deliver but I think that the focus on getting a quad axle is hurting everything else to the point where he’s not delivering. Just makes me sad

MacMadame

Staying at home
I hate junior mints. I don’t remember wearing purple either
Junior mints are not candy.

I am such a bad Kwan fan that I didn't even know about the Jr. Mints or purple until I joined here (which was way at the end of her career). I just wear purple all the time because it's a great color. :lol:

ChelleC

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Protocols out. Nathan got two 10.00 for performance.
Two judges gave the choreo seq +5 :respec:
Two judges gave it +3 🆘🆘
Hmmm...after the jumps were done, he was 10 worthy. Before that, he was fairly reserved.

I do miss getting reports from fans who were there...would love to hear what they thought. He was sooooo impressive today.

@Badams I believe Hanyu has asthma, so that elevates his risk.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I just watched the final flight of men.
Felt awful for Hanyu. If he has asthma he has certainly managed it well at his many other competitions.
Who thought that costume was a good idea?

Nathan! Ah Nathan! He needs his own classification. He was simply magnificent. He was brilliant!

livetoskate

What an exciting men's event. Who would have thought things would turn out that way. I am sad to see some of the older guys not doing well, like Boyang and poor Bychenko-- all those falls looked painful. Glad Han Yan is looking better. Keegan was amazing although the silver duct tape all over his boots and red socks showing looked like a fashion fail. He has thighs of steel, and his spins are out of this world. It's always fun to see competitors who are enjoying themselves out there (like Donovan & Yuma). Mikhail and Nathan's jumps looked especially high and awesome. Seeing Yuzuru making so many mistakes was a shock; I hope he isn't injured or continues ruining his body attempting quad axels. Sad for Vincent but I guess it just shows that no one's a sure thing in this sport. Anyone know how Andrew Torgashev is doing? Out of the other American men, I think Andrew has the best overall skating package if he can land quads. Tomoki can be exciting & fast, but he is very sloppy.

Sylvia

Off season is club competition season!
Anyone know how Andrew Torgashev is doing? Out of the other American men, I think Andrew has the best overall skating package if he can land quads.
@livetoskate, I posted the link to listen to a recent podcast featuring Torgashev in the U.S. Men's thread earlier this month: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...eason-news-updates.107352/page-7#post-5962025
OMG. I need to watch this press conference... Apparently Yuzu is still aiming to land the 4A!!!!!
Translator of Hanyu's statement speaks at this point of the presser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pftQAOQ3fN0&t=915s

skateboy

What a skate by Nathan!! Flawless.

Yuma is such a little firecracker and his silver was well deserved.

Yuzuru... well, what can I say, I've always found him to be overrated, and his Olympic wins were based on his short programs. He has great qualities and has skated some terrific programs, of course. But this was sloppy and boring (I don't find him artistic and he looks down at the ice a lot). I think 4th in the free skate was generous, Keegan was better... maybe even Kolyada.

Congrats to Jason for standing up on the quad!

Ananas Astra

Can you introduce me as Joker?
Are you ready for more gems from Twitter?

Are you sure?

Here we go: The user "Stalin2024" claims that Yuzuru is always underscored. Some other user commented on it and even made Hanyu the "underscored king".

Some others even claim that the ISU only held these Worlds in order to harm Yuzuru because he has asthma.

Are those people even real?!

Carolla5501

I agree! we’ve seen enough Twitter here I’m reminded why I don’t go to Twitter. It’s all about getting attention and obviously these people are succeeding

if you want to watch the train wreck, head over there With the Kardashians and whoever else is desperately seeking attention.

skateboy

Just chiming in that those coming up with the regular (and overdone) "that program was just jumps" crap... I would strongly suggest y'all rewatch Nathan's program and close your eyes during all the jumps.

This was a real work of art. Nathan's dance background is evident. His skating skills are fantastic, his footwork is first rate, and his passion is on point.

(Most professional musicians -- of which I am one -- consider Philip Glass' music interesting, but quite one-note. Nathan brought out the artistic possibilities.)

Now watch Yuzu's and Yuma's programs, doing the same thing. I dare you not to appreciate Nathan's artistry. Go ahead, fight me on it. :D

tony

Just chiming in that those coming up with the regular (and overdone) "that program was just jumps" crap... I would strongly suggest y'all rewatch Nathan's program and close your eyes during all the jumps.

This was a real work of art. Nathan's dance background is evident. His skating skills are fantastic, his footwork is first rate, and his passion is on point.

(Most professional musicians -- of which I am one -- consider Philip Glass' music interesting, but quite one-note. Nathan brought out the artistic possibilities.)

Now watch Yuzu's and Yuma's programs, doing the same thing. I dare you not to appreciate Nathan's artistry. Go ahead, fight me on it. :D
Welllllll... I'll be a slightly different opinion. Of course he's technically ambitious, but the program really doesn't come alive until the step sequence in the middle. And what a beautiful sequence that is, it completely changes the mood and Shae knew what she was doing.

Johnny's arguing point to Tara, that she didn't let him finish, was that Yuzuru had a small chance to still pull it off, even with one less quad because his elements may receive higher GOE and I actually 100% agree with that. It's one thing missing from Nathan still- just a bit more variety going into/out of some of the jumps to get +4's consistently and maybe even some +5's. Of course the judges still give him some, but I always feel like his GOE average should probably be one lower than he receives just based on the criteria. Then again, Yuzuru has some crazy transitions surrounding his jumps and it surely makes them even more difficult to get right.

Nathan really is capable of setting a mood through an entire program, and I understand the work it takes to do the quads he is doing, but I just want a littttttttle bit of something prior to the steps. From that point on, though, just remarkable. Is it Kolyada level masterpiece? No, simply because it's not consistent throughout. But it's also not even close to crap. See Semenenko's attempt at a program for that.

For me, it would've been something like Kolyada.........Brown....Aymoz..Chen.. in terms of overall PCS in the LP. And that's even with me being no fan of Brown's program.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Unfortunately one of the rules to be considered an artistic skater if you must dress the part. Obviously Nathan fails the dressing test

And if you started out as athletic you are never allowed to improve. every time you skate people will say all he can do is jump. The decision was made 10 years ago and they will not change their mind now so there’s no need to argue with them. 😁

jlai

Title-less
Welllllll... I'll be a slightly different opinion. Of course he's technically ambitious, but the program really doesn't come alive until the step sequence in the middle. And what a beautiful sequence that is, it completely changes the mood and Shae knew what she was doing.

Johnny's arguing point to Tara, that she didn't let him finish, was that Yuzuru had a small chance to still pull it off, even with one less quad because his elements may receive higher GOE and I actually 100% agree with that. It's one thing missing from Nathan still- just a bit more variety going into/out of some of the jumps to get +4's consistently and maybe even some +5's. Of course the judges still give him some, but I always feel like his GOE average should probably be one lower than he receives just based on the criteria. Then again, Yuzuru has some crazy transitions surrounding his jumps and it surely makes them even more difficult to get right.

Nathan really is capable of setting a mood through an entire program, and I understand the work it takes to do the quads he is doing, but I just want a littttttttle bit of something prior to the steps. From that point on, though, just remarkable. Is it Kolyada level masterpiece? No, simply because it's not consistent throughout. But it's also not even close to crap. See Semenenko's attempt at a program for that.

For me, it would've been something like Kolyada.........Brown....Aymoz..Chen.. in terms of overall PCS in the LP. And that's even with me being no fan of Brown's program.
They both forgot one thing: Hanyu may have only 4 quads but with two triple axels

tony

Unfortunately one of the rules to be considered an artistic skater if you must dress the part. Obviously Nathan fails the dressing test

And if you started out as athletic you are never allowed to improve. every time you skate people will say all he can do is jump. The decision was made 10 years ago and they will not change their mind now so there’s no need to argue with them. 😁
Well it's just better to say Chen has the most artistic program ever created to make certain fans furious, maybe ;) But I also think, as you said, the technical skaters get type-casted into that and people are so fixated on watching their jumps that they don't notice anything else going on or choose to not watch it as an arguing point.

He's amazing in all ways, he's revolutionized the multiple quad game, he's typically super consistent, and he doesn't have to be the most artistic skater ever. Everyone would love to have the perfect skater, but they still have to pick their strengths and balance it all out. It's going to be a program I watch often, and it's definitely the best free skate he's had by a mile. I just selfishly wish he could set a mood from the start and keep it throughout like some others do, but at the end of the day he doesn't even need it. He could've skated this program with all of choreography ignored and still won easily. But we got one of the best overall programs of all-time with an intensity we haven't really seen from him before.

becca

I think that that what Nathan does pushing the sport forward is incredible. Not sure it’s physically possible to do it all.

However would you have ever gone so far it he wasn’t competing against a Hanyu. Hanyu didn’t need to develop a quad lutz when he was young.

I personally won’t write of Hanyu for OGM he will have less pressure than Chen in my opinion and who knows maybe he will master the quad axel?

Hanyu has literally nothing to lose. He has two OGMs lol. He has already delivered everything for his country possible it’s like when Katerina competed at her third Olympics for fun except Hanyu will likely medal 😂

Whereas I think Chen will have a lot to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information