2020 WJC Ice dance RD & FD - Unbelievable Splats! Indescribable Judging!

Amy L

As I understand it, Reviya previously skated for Georgia with a Russian girl of Georgian background, when they broke up he found another Russian and kept skating for Georgia.
He has a Georgian background through his father. Reviya is a Georgian surname. His patronymic is Noevich, and Noe is a name used in Georgia. His ex-partner, Eva Khachaturian, has an Armenian surname. Not that that stops her from having Georgian ancestry too (I don't know anything about her at all), but he definitely does.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

He has a Georgian background through his father. Reviya is a Georgian surname. His patronymic is Noevich, and Noe is a name used in Georgia. His ex-partner, Eva Khachaturian, has an Armenian surname. Not that that stops her from having Georgian ancestry too (I don't know anything about her at all), but he definitely does.
Ah, I stand corrected.

Debbie S

I think N/K will move up. Between their age, citizenship issues and current state of U.S. dance at the Senior level, 2022 won't happen but they likely want to lay the groundwork for the next quad. There's no reason for them to stay Junior for another year.

I think both Wolfkostin/Chen and the Browns will do fine next year, plus there's Cesanek/Yehorov, Del Camp/Somerville and the Peals who (I assume) will move up from Novice. I think U.S. Junior dance is in good hands. :)

Michalle

I hesitate to ask this because the Ukraine situation is complicated and I don't want to sound ignorant but his situation seems a little different than Carreira's to me - does it make a difference in his ability to get citizenship that he is coming from Ukraine and not Canada?

Sally1214

Finally finished watching the Free Dance. SO happy the whole event is/was still available on the ISU YouTube channel.

The top 3 couples were all fabulous. I have to admit I was hoping for the Georgians to win ... but that's just because I enjoyed their more modern, edgy program the best. Georgy is an AWESOME ice dancer. Maria is wonderful too but, to me, he's just a rock star! :respec: But, both the other couples were excellent too. Unusual ending for S/N with her doing the rollover on the ice. Took me by surprise ... I thought she'd fallen at first! :eek: And, of course, N/K were flawless on the traditional, classical presentation of their program. So, I'm good with the results. The joy expressed by N/K (& coaching team) in the KNC touched my heart. 😍

So, 2 more weeks until Worlds. I'll have to get to work on my predictions. Gosh, I hope I don't end "my" season with a huge nosedive ... but it's entirely possible. 😂 But, if I DO, no worries ... this whole skating season has been tons of fun. :40beers:

Colonel Green

I hesitate to ask this because the Ukraine situation is complicated and I don't want to sound ignorant but his situation seems a little different than Carreira's to me - does it make a difference in his ability to get citizenship that he is coming from Ukraine and not Canada?
I expect it is, in practice, easier to get citizenship as a Canadian, but the basic issue both would face in getting citizenship for 2022 is the same -- the only way to do that, temporally, is via an expedited process that the Trump Administration has said isn't available for competitive figure skaters.

Stephanie

I think N/K will move up. Between their age, citizenship issues and current state of U.S. dance at the Senior level, 2022 won't happen but they likely want to lay the groundwork for the next quad. There's no reason for them to stay Junior for another year.

I think both Wolfkostin/Chen and the Browns will do fine next year, plus there's Cesanek/Yehorov, Del Camp/Somerville and the Peals who (I assume) will move up from Novice. I think U.S. Junior dance is in good hands. :)
Cesanek/Yehorov will be too old for juniors next year

Cayuse

The US has too many good teams at the senior level. All of them have won a junior worlds or placed second. There will not be enough places on the Grand Prix for all of them, and that will be problem for N/K.

dancelion21

The US has too many good teams at the senior level. All of them have won a junior worlds or placed second. There will not be enough places on the Grand Prix for all of them, and that will be problem for N/K.
How are senior Grand Prix spots determined? Wikipedia indicates that it’s just based on historically reaching a certain score internationally. Is there a per country limit?

PRlady

Nerdy flack
How are senior Grand Prix spots determined? Wikipedia indicates that it’s just based on historically reaching a certain score internationally. Is there a per country limit?
Yes, Russia has been maxing out on its ladies (18 spots total I think) for at least a couple of years on the GP. But I think Jr World champions get a guaranteed spot? Not sure.

Debbie S

JGPF and JW medalists used to be guaranteed a GP the following season but not anymore. In dance, I believe the top 10 at Worlds are guaranteed 2 spots (in singles, it's top 12) and all other teams in top 24 of world standings or season's best score are guaranteed one (and most get 2). Max entries per country in singles is 9, not sure if it's less in dance. N/K are currently (with JW result) 24th in WS and 27th in SB. And of course, the U.S. has an extra spot at SA which they can give to any U.S. team regardless of ranking.

This season, there were 6 U.S. teams on the GP and based on current rankings, all are in line to get assignments next year. I suspect there is room for a 7th.

VGThuy

I’m ecstatic to see the American ice dance contingent doing well here. It seems the logjam will continue for a bit barring retirements, etc.

kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
My brain is asleep today -- this is Jrs., not seniors.

But in Senior GP's, each member can max out at three/event/discipline. The only event at which a country is guaranteed to max out at three, if they choose, is the host event. However, it is possible mathematically to be guaranteed the full 18 by a combination of the host spots, plus results at prior Worlds and Top 24 SB and WS.

While junior placements at JGPF and Jr. Worlds don't guarantee spots, typically anyone on the Jr. podia is on the Top 24 SB list and is guaranteed one anyway. Plus, although split couples and returning skaters aren't, technically, guaranteed any, they typically get two, and most skaters/teams in the Top 24 SB get a second.

Except for host spots, all selections are supposed to be in the Top 75 SB in their discipline and make the GP minimums, which are based on 3/5 of the total score of the reigning World Champions. Generally, all singles and dance teams in the Top 70, if not Top 75, make those scores. Pairs has been a mixed bag: for a while, only the top 45 or so met the minimums, but there have been some strong years.

Last edited:

Dobre

While junior placements at JGPF and Jr. Worlds don't guarantee spots, typically anyone on the Jr. podia is on the Top 24 SB list and is guaranteed one anyway. Plus, although split couples and returning skaters aren't, technically, guaranteed any, they typically get two, and most skaters/teams in the Top 24 SB get a second.
Junior dance scores have not been holding up against the senior dance team scores all season. The Senior base value, especially in the FD, has been going up up up over the last several years; and this season, not only are there no junior dance teams with an SB in the top 24, but even the top three teams are well off the pace in 27th, 28th, and 30th place prior to Worlds. (Mind you, I'm not saying that any of these three teams could defeat the top 26 teams on the SB list. They didn't defeat team #26 at last year's Junior Worlds). I believe the top 2 teams from Junior Worlds this year will likely finish top 24 on the World Standing list and therefore can secure one guaranteed berth. As second invites from non-host countries are typically based on SB rankings and the U.S. and Russian teams have deep fields, it is far from guaranteed that the Junior World medalists would get two or necessarily be able to win a head-to-head battle for a host berth if the countrymen ranked above them do not win two spots up front. Kazakova & Reviya can try to earn a higher score at Junior Worlds. They didn't get one at Europeans, though, and if they place in the dance hierarchy where they placed at Euros, they may have a fight on their hands at Worlds to make the FD. They don't have to deal with the deep home fields in order to win GP invites, but they also don't have a host country invite available. They age up so they are moving up regardless. I doubt Shanaeva & Narizhnyy will even try to move up. I don't know where they are expected to finish on the WS list, but they are 38th at the moment so I would assume they have no guaranteed GP spots. Ushakova & Nekrasov have been on the junior international scene longer and are 32nd, but they missed most of this season so their ranking is probably going to drop.

ETA: Eight teams seems to be the most that any country has gotten onto the GP in ice dance. At a certain point every year, the host countries just start skipping over the Russian and/or U.S. teams on the alternate list. The U.S. had 8 teams during the Olympic season with one having one spot that year. Russia had 8 this year with two having one spot rather than two.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information