2020 US Nationals

sk9tingfan

Greensboro, North Carolina (previously hosted in 2011 & 2015) has submitted a bid: https://www.greensboro.com/news/loc...cle_a11bb92f-7cb8-5e05-92ca-77967b06b357.html
I've been to Greensboro twice, and will not go back again for various reasons including paying top dollar for sitting on folding chairs in the front row with dangerous walking conditions to get to those seats, motorists who do not respect pedestrian right of way when crossing with the light and other issues. Please let it be somewhere else.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Greensboro, North Carolina (previously hosted in 2011 & 2015) has submitted a bid: https://www.greensboro.com/news/loc...cle_a11bb92f-7cb8-5e05-92ca-77967b06b357.html

Excellent news! The tickets and official hotel have always been reasonably priced there, and I love being able to jump back and forth between the practice and competition rinks. I do have to laugh at the article trying to trash Omaha's setup, which was indeed even better than Greensboro's since the hotel was attached to the arena and practice rink.

lexeoe

I'd like to see a new city host or a city that has not hosted in a long time. If GSO gets it's it'll be their third hosting since 2011. Which is the last city to have hosted Nats for the first time? Is it GSO in 2011? All others since 2012 are repeat hosts.

Debbie S

I think Omaha was a first-time host in 2013. And Kansas City hadn't hosted since the 80s.

In order for a city to host, they have to bid. And meet the min bid requirements and convince USFS that they have the infrastructure and local sponsorship support to pull off a successful event. That's not easy for all cities to do.

ross_hy

I'm hoping Scott Hamilton can use his influence to get Nationals (or maybe the next US-hosted Worlds) back in Nashville. There's a relatively new Hamilton-supported rink there with another on the way.

Also hoping Boston bids for 2022...

peibeck

Simply looking
I'm hoping Scott Hamilton can use his influence to get Nationals (or maybe the next US-hosted Worlds) back in Nashville. There's a relatively new Hamilton-supported rink there with another on the way.

Also hoping Boston bids for 2022...

Nashville would be a reasonable drive for me, so I'm all for that location. Hotels within the city are sadly pricey though.

I loved Boston for Nationals and Worlds, but... they just hosted Nationals and Worlds. :lol: Spread the wealth. Same for Greensboro, although Greensboro has plenty of reasonably priced accommodations and places to eat. I did require renting a car while there however.

legjumper

Yeah, the tough thing about Greensboro is that the rink isn't attached or within easy walking distance to any hotels. So if you don't have a car, you're stuck taking a taxi or Uber/Lyft every time you want to go to or leave the arena. It's just a few minutes' drive, but it still becomes a logistical hassle all the same.

Carolla5501

Nashville tried to get it a few years ago I understand. Even having Scott on board wasn’t enough. I expect that Nashville might not be making a overly generous offer to USFS because they have other options for the arena that brought in more $$$. Greensboro doesn’t have some of those options

peibeck

Simply looking
The Coliseum in Greensboro hosts A LOT of events and is home to the Univ. of North Carolina Greensboro's basketball events. Looking at their website there are events anywhere from 2-4 nights a week, which is a lot for that sized market, and that is just the Coliseum, not including the Special Events Center where practices were held.

Carolla5501

And the arena in Nashville hosts an NHL team, the CMAs and a lot of concerts. Having spent extended time in both cities my feeling is the arena in Nashville is bringing in a little higher $$$

ross_hy

And the arena in Nashville hosts an NHL team, the CMAs and a lot of concerts. Having spent extended time in both cities my feeling is the arena in Nashville is bringing in a little higher $$$

Nashville today is definitely not the same city that hosted in 1997. Bridgestone Arena is one of the highest-grossing arenas in the country. Pretty much every major concert tour stops there.

I'm not sure what the local skating scene is there (I don't live there anymore), but I imagine it would grow as the Predators and the Scott Hamilton Academy continue to open rinks and grow their programs.

lexeoe

I think Omaha was a first-time host in 2013. And Kansas City hadn't hosted since the 80s.

In order for a city to host, they have to bid. And meet the min bid requirements and convince USFS that they have the infrastructure and local sponsorship support to pull off a successful event. That's not easy for all cities to do.
Omaha hosted in 1967. That was their last prior to 2013. KC last hosted in 1985 and lost the bid for 2011 and 2012. Was KC a sole bidder for 2017?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Is the Washington, DC, area too expensive? I keep waiting for a Nationals to come here.

skatfan

Is the Washington, DC, area too expensive? I keep waiting for a Nationals to come here.

Yes, it’s too expensive. US Nationals is going to 2nd tier cities these days.

Edited to add- I don’t think so after all - San Jose is equally expensive. Not sure how the decision gets made these days.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
BTW a sidenote for anyone that doesn't like where a competition ends up:

If you are a member of a USFS skating club, make sure to send an email to your club's board to suggest they submit a bid. I can't speak to what extent the national governing body encourages clubs to participate, but I do know that much of the action bubbles from the bottom up (a rarity in organizations). USFS selects from the pool of people who submit applications.

Debbie S

I wish one of the Philadelphia area skating clubs would submit a Nationals bid—not just because I live here, it's just a good location.
Philly hosted in 98. IIRC, I remember reading afterward that USFS wasn't thrilled...i think issues with scheduling and the temp ice surface used for practice? But it's been 20 years, so maybe they'd get another chance. OTOH, Philly might be too large a city for the current host model.

Aaron W

Has Hoffman Estates, IL ever hosted a US Nationals. No.

They hosted 2 SkAms but I wonder if that would be ideal for Nats too as so many skaters come from suburban Chicago.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Forget Hoffman Estates way out in the suburbs, there’s a new mid-size arena attached to McCormmick Place Convention Center in Chicago. It’s called Wintrust Arena and has a capacity of approx 10,000. Marriott Marquis and Hyatt Regency are both right there and of course many many hotels are available in downtown Chicago, just a short L ride away (green line - 3 blocks from the arena). So if any further events come to Chicagoland, I hope they avoid difficult-to-reach suburban arenas and take advantage of this brand new arena just south of downtown! :smokin:

emilieh

I heard several years ago that the Chicago area clubs were gearing up for a Nationals bid. In addition to the two Skate Americas recently, they hosted Theatre on Ice Nationals this year. I've fallen out of touch with the person I knew who is super involved with her club, though, so I don't know if they are still hoping to eventually host nationals.

topaz

I would expect Milwaukee to make a possible bid for Nationals or Skate America within the next few years.

The UWM Panthers Arena where the 2015 Skate America was held was renovated in 2016. Also the new NBA Milwaukee Bucks venue - Fiserv Forum was opened in late August 2018.

So as of right now, Milwaukee has two venues to host skating events.

Also, I think Las Vegas should bid.

euterpe

I wouldn't mind Greensboro this time, since I moved to the Charlotte area recently....I could drive there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information