2020 US Adult Sectionals and Nationals

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Well, thanks to the bullshit UI design of the EMS, I appear to have registered myself for the NQ event instead of Championship. Good ****ing grief, what idiot designed this thing? I hope USFS will help me out in correcting the error.

(Update: Error resolved! Registered for Sectionals and Nationals!)

Last edited:

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Well, thanks to the bullshit UI design of the EMS, I appear to have registered myself for the NQ event instead of Championship. Good ****ing grief, what idiot designed this thing? I hope USFS will help me out in correcting the error.

(Update: Error resolved! Registered for Sectionals and Nationals!)

Yeah, the system sucks. But the people are very helpful once you blow it. ;)

Theoreticalgirl

Yeah, the system sucks. But the people are very helpful once you blow it. ;)

This is true, but they also could have designed it to prevent these kinds of registration errors. I would consider myself very good at navigating interfaces, but even I was surprised at how I made the mistake.

Clarice

I had music upload issues this year. First, Mids did not present the option to upload music for the solo pattern dances. That has been corrected. Then, the system would not recognize that my tracks were in mp3 format, so I had to have headquarters upload them for me. My latest theory is that EMS doesn't like my browser, but I've never had any trouble before.

Theoreticalgirl

@Clarice Not sure what you're using but IME it may not be the browser, but rather the extensions/plugins you may be using on your browser. If your application has it, I would suggest running a window in "Private" or "Incognito" mode to see if that does the trick.

FWIW, I have ad blockers and other plugins used to encrypt/secure my connection and those tend to be the largest culprits when something doesn't load (thus proving my point of how much we are tracked and measured across the web!), which is the case for when I watch NBC Gold from the web.

Putting my Interaction/UX Designer hat on for a sec, this is the issue that tripped me up: https://imgur.com/a/Qnrri5l

People tend to scan website pages in F-shaped patterns (there are variations, but this is the most common), which is why placing content in the left side of the page is important. As you can see, the default column is the NQ one. While there's nothing wrong with that, the error is that it's the far right column. Combined with a fairly monochromatic/flat UI color scheme, it's very easy to miss and accidentally register for NQ—which is exactly what happened to me and quite a few other folks.

livetoskate

I registered for nonqualifying silver ladies III. It'll be my 1st time back at adult nationals since Dallas in 2006. What hotels are near the rink? There's a Holiday Inn Express that seems reasonably priced. Looking forward to it, though I feel woefully out of shape and my dress feels a bit snug.

livetoskate

Also... did you all upload your music when registering? That didn't come up as an option when I registered. It also took forever clicking around on the US figure skating adults page before I figured out how to register.

Theoreticalgirl

I registered for nonqualifying silver ladies III. It'll be my 1st time back at adult nationals since Dallas in 2006. What hotels are near the rink? There's a Holiday Inn Express that seems reasonably priced. Looking forward to it, though I feel woefully out of shape and my dress feels a bit snug.

Here are the 3 closest hotels—they're literally across the street from the whole UDel sports complex and right next to each other:

Baymont by Wyndham UDel
Homewood Suites Newark-Wilmington South
Embassy Suites Suites Newark-Wilmington South

These are less than a 10 minute drive:

Candlewood Suites Newark South
Rodeway Inn University
Red Roof Inn University

Lots of options depending on your price point and brand preference.

Sarah

Here are the 3 closest hotels—they're literally across the street from the whole UDel sports complex and right next to each other:

Baymont by Wyndham UDel
Homewood Suites Newark-Wilmington South
Embassy Suites Suites Newark-Wilmington South

These are less than a 10 minute drive:

Candlewood Suites Newark South
Rodeway Inn University
Red Roof Inn University

Lots of options depending on your price point and brand preference.

There is also the Courtyard by Marriott Newark at the University of Delaware which is on the other side of campus but on the campus shuttle bus route. Technically the bus is students/staff/faculty, but I've never been asked for an ID in 8+ years so... You'd just have to go to the appropriate bus stop which I could help anyone find if needed. The nice thing about the Marriot is it's closest it Main Street which has all of Newark's dining -- quick-serve and sit down -- and lots of independent restaurants and coffee shops. The bad part is school is in session so traffic is crazy and the campus is ugly due to... never-ending construction.

I'm happy to try and answer questions.

Sarah

I’m approved to volunteer so I should pick up a few shifts. I’ll definitely spend some time there just waiting to figure out my work schedule.

livetoskate

I withdrew from the competition due to the coronavirus spreading. They told me no refunds, but at least I had not booked a hotel & was going to drive there. Maybe next year!

GarrAargHrumph

I'm thinking they may end up cancelling adult nationals, but we'll see. I haven't booked a hotel yet, either, and my plan was to drive down, so I'm flexible.

GarrAargHrumph

Theoreticalgirl

My plan is to withdraw, but I'm holding off on doing so because I want them to cancel the event and issue a refund. My bank account would appreciate it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information