2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Toshi_Berra

Anti-Trump people are so crazy that I'd worry about my safety if I had a Trump sign. At minimum, I'd have several security cameras, and probably a gun. A neighbor of mine in Philadelphia had their house repeatedly vandalized - broken windows, attempts to kick in the door, graffiti, etc.

And if you use that gun to defend yourself, you are the bad guy. The media will work overtime to guarantee that you are seen as the problem, not those destroying your property or harming your family. Fervent left wing idiots (not to mention those on this board) will eat it up like breakfast cereal, further supplying their ignorant narratives. "omg look at that! we need to ban guns I told you!!!"

Are yard signs a big thing in the states? They aren't really common here. Most election signs are on public property. The only people I know that have them are people directly connected to a particular candidate or actual members of a political party, which also isn't particularly common. Also, is there anywhere else where campaign merch is a thing?

MsZem

More on the 24-hours Harris County voting:
Miguel Valencia seems like an absolute legend! And kudos to Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo and County Clerk Chris Hollins for making this possible.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Are yard signs a big thing in the states? They aren't really common here. Most election signs are on public property. The only people I know that have them are people directly connected to a particular candidate or actual members of a political party, which also isn't particularly common. Also, is there anywhere else where campaign merch is a thing?

Yard signs are huge here. In D.C. we've got local elections and getting yard signs in supporters yards is considered an important part of campaigning. I have a yard sign for my city council candidate, Christina Henderson :cheer:

These are all reasonable size signs, but one thing that's become more common are big flags and outside the city I've seen many huge signs, mostly for presidential candidates.

What seems to have become much less common are bumper stickers for candidates. I haven't bothered to get a Biden one. (But I still have my Warren sticker :shuffle: )

ballettmaus

I definitely agree with this last point.

We are entering a true danger zone as a society if people are getting fired or held back in their career due to politics. On either side.

On the one hand, this is true. On the other, we have to be careful not to normalize behavior with thinking like this. We're not talking just about Republicans here. We're talking about white supremacists or enablers of white supremacists.
I think we all agree that it was right to keep Nazis and their enablers out of government back in the days. Why should we treat white supremacists and their enablers any different?

The Trump signs in Virginia are HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I read last night that Trump bought 1,200 ads during Colbert's Late Night show. They wer airing in Northern Virginia as well, so I suspect they were airing everywhere. Talk about a waste of money.

Louis

Private citizen
October's not over yet :scream:

In some states more people have already voted than voted in total in 2016. Election day is five days earlier in 2020 than 2016. At this point, the clock has run out: there is no time left for a surprise to have any impact, especially with the polling gap being so large. The only "surprise" big enough to move the needle would be if Biden were to suddenly pass, and I'm not sure even that would be big enough given record numbers of early voting. Any October surprise needed to be a September surprise this year.

BlueRidge is right on this point. Biden has all but won, and people can relax.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Probably wants to make sure he can steal as much art as possible on the way out. He's done it before.

I thought the only art he cared about was massive vainglorious pictures of himself :lol:

But seriously this is a little worrying. I can see him bunkering in there with the Proud Boys and their like "defending" the perimeter for as long as they can.

clairecloutier

@Louis @clairecloutier What would you do with a situation like when Olympian Peter Vidmar, who was supposed to be the Chief of Mission for the U.S. Olympic delegation in 2012, had to step down for donating to a California anti-gay marriage proposition? Gay athletes, including Johnny Weir, spoke up to say that Vidmar could not be an effective advocate for gay American athletes because he was using his money to try to deny their human rights.

Good question. I guess I would see it as, there is a difference between an employee whose job is just to work privately at a company, without directly representing any constituency, versus someone whose job is representation of certain groups?

caseyedwards

In some states more people have already voted than voted in total in 2016. Election day is five days earlier in 2020 than 2016. At this point, the clock has run out: there is no time left for a surprise to have any impact, especially with the polling gap being so large. The only "surprise" big enough to move the needle would be if Biden were to suddenly pass, and I'm not sure even that would be big enough given record numbers of early voting. Any October surprise needed to be a September surprise this year.

BlueRidge is right on this point. Biden has all but won, and people can relax.
The election was over when more Famous republicans endorsed Biden than trump. Tom ridge is like your neighbor republican. He’s like any republican you know in real life. John Kasich same thing. Molinari, baker, hogan, Whitman, boot, gerson, Navarro, powers, cupp, conway, wilson, schmidt, McCain, Flake, Romney, Sasse, etc etc etc

Teamgracie

Think it depends on the state and area. I counted the signs on way home today in my area. 10 Biden Harris signs and 0 tr*** signs. Not many in my area. I’m thankful I don’t have to see tr*** signs! I feel for those of you that have to see them. I’d be swearing all the way home....

Dobre

Some idiot in one of the local towns here is flying 4 flags at the end of Main Street. The American flag, the POW flag, and two Trump flags--one of which is essentially a picture of Rambo with muscles & a gun. Makes me want to hurl & makes me so angry that this person's property is in a location where it appears as though the flags are being flown by the town.

But, um, yeah. It's one property. So I tell myself to be grateful that there are not a slew of them. Better one obnoxious exhibitionist than 20 properties with 20 signs. And if you had that at one end of town, you too might decline to put up a Biden/Harris sign even if you normally would. So I do agree that there are probably Democrats that are not advertising their voting intentions. My area is going to go Republican, but I do know that the local Democrats have been calling around & encouraging people to vote. So maybe there will be more Democratic votes than normal, along with what will probably be more Republican votes than normal.

I would note here that it is always worth keeping in mind that it generally takes a lot longer to count the urban Democratic-leaning vote than it does to count small rural Republican counties like mine.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
new Ohio Quinnipiac poll - Biden 48 / trump 43. I know! It doesn't really count till it's over 50%, but it's going the right direction. 🙏🙏
Biden made gains this week. It's going to be a nail biter! I can't read the state polls anymore or I might lose my mind. I have to drive the car to give a ride to the polls when anyone needs one, so I'm going to focus on that the next few days.

Marc Anthony is making a push for the PR diaspora to VOTE. HIM. OUT!:
Just days before Election Day, a new ad has Latin music singer Marc Anthony urging over 4 million Puerto Ricans living in the mainland U.S. who are of voting age "to send Trump a clear message. ... I urge all of you to join me and vote him out."

"We remember the lies. We remember the disrespect. We remember you left too many of us to die," the Puerto Rican artist said, in reference to Hurricane Maria, the deadliest U.S.-based natural disaster in 100 years, which led to the deaths of at least 2,975 people in 2017.
Oh, this day seems made for you and me
And you showed me what life needs to be
Yeah, you sang to me,
You sang to me
... ...

Meoima

Bloomberg say Senior officials in Biden's campaign team are worried about Black and Latino turnout in Florida and Pennsylvania. I don’t get why... they support the Republicans?

once_upon

Vaccinated
My sisters and I have been giving each other pep talks. I woke up full of anxiety this morning, but I appreciate your level headed responses.
I was awake at 1, 3, and 6 with disturbing dreams that we have another 4 (possibly more) years of hell.
Yeah, like Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend....
Yeah, if he'd been white - Breonna would still be alive

We did several errands today. Lots of Trump signs in West O - more affluent areas, more Biden signs in mid city - more middle class but also in the University area.

Is it possible that the NFL schedule a game for Tuesday? I need something other than political news on Tuesday

canbelto

Bloomberg say Senior officials in Biden's campaign team are worried about Black and Latino turnout in Florida and Pennsylvania. I don’t get why... they support the Republicans?

Florida definitely has a large population of extremely conservative Cubans who tend to vote Republican.

But they are saying that turnout in Miami Dade (a big Dem county) is not as high as they need it to be:

Sparks

Black and Latino turnout in Florida and Pennsylvania. I don’t get why... they support the Republicans?
Those two groups do not vote as a monolith.
Take "Latino" for instance. That would include people of Cuban, or Caribbean, or Central American, or South American, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Spanish heritage.

tony

But it just doesn't fcuking glide
Florida definitely has a large population of extremely conservative Cubans who tend to vote Republican.

But they are saying that turnout in Miami Dade (a big Dem county) is not as high as they need it to be:

I live in Miami Dade. 8 minutes as I said from getting in line to leaving. And it’s not only the Cubans that love Trump. Venezuelans, anyone who got citizenship and basically doesn’t want anyone else to do it, any Latinos coming from countries higher on the hierarchy of whatever they have don’t want others here and/or are very vocally racist, etc.

Those two groups do not vote as a monolith.
Take "Latino" for instance. That would include people of Cuban, or Caribbean, or Central American, or South American, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Spanish heritage.
Hispanics are 77% of the population here in Miami. Something like that. A LOT of them love Trump and refuse to be told any different. I posted about all of this becoming a big problem this time around as far back as March IIRC. They live in a bubble here and don’t understand how the rest of America (MAGA) will treat them.

once_upon

Vaccinated
My brother is playing some odds gamble game. I freaking don't understand what hie is posting, but I gather he is saying Florida is Trump's.

I think I'm going to enable the app that I purchase extra lives and boosts on my video games to keep me occupied for a while.

canbelto

I live in Miami Dade. 8 minutes as I said from getting in line to leaving. And it’s not only the Cubans that love Trump. Venezuelans, anyone who got citizenship and basically doesn’t want anyone else to do it, any Latinos coming from countries higher on the hierarchy of whatever they have don’t want others here and/or are very vocally racist, etc.
The Miami Cuban I know insists that he's "Swedish" and would never admit to being "Latino."
A lot of light-skinned Latinos are very racist towards the "non-white" Latinos like Mexicans or Dominicans. It's sad but true. Also many of them tend to be socially conservative because they're Catholic, etc.

Meoima

Hispanics are 77% of the population here in Miami. Something like that. A LOT of them love Trump and refuse to be told any different. I posted about all of this becoming a big problem this time around as far back as March IIRC. They live in a bubble here and don’t understand how the rest of America (MAGA) will treat them.
Forgive me if I say this but all of this sounds like a horrible reality show. And yet... it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information