2020 U.S. Presidential Election

ballettmaus

The article is all messed up, but here is an attached tweet - "Martha McSally has done everything she can to appeal to Trump & his base This is how he introduced her: "Just come up fast. Fast. Fast. Come on. Quick. You got one minute! One minute, Martha! They don’t want to hear this, Martha. Come on. Let’s go. Quick, quick, quick. Come on" "

I saw the videp clip earlier. I think I would have slapped him and walked off stage. So condescending! Despicable.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The Boss tells us how he really feels. :lol:
“Welcome ghouls and fools, witches, vampires, bloodsucking politicians, zombie denizens of Washington, DC, it is time for an exorcism in our nation’s capital,” Springsteen of Freehold said. “In just a few days well be throwing the bums out. I thought it was a (blanking) nightmare but it was so true.”
Sing along with That's What Makes Us Great - Springsteen's anti-Trump collaboration with Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers while we keep hope alive for at least four more days:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

Ugh...this does not make me feel hopeful at all.
I have been listening to a number of discussions about this but also following the polls. I know Cahaly is big on the shy Trump voter, but in the last week two of his polls has Biden ahead. But there are a number of other factors at play here. And while with Hilary the email thing played a role, the Hunter thing has not stuck because there are too many doubts on the story. And Trump has been consistently in low 40s for the whole of his presidency.

I also listened to an Alan Lichtman interview from a few days ago who is still adamant that Biden is going to win based on his 13 key factors.

I would like to think that the massive numbers of early votes shows people are engaged with the voting process and that most of it is anti-Trump. I also wonder how many registered Republicans are going to change their vote for Biden this time. Of course there will be a percentage of Democrats that will flip too. And the large number of undeclared voters. That will be interesting.

We just have to wait and see.

once_upon

Voter
I have some real life friends on Facebook who support Trump.i just don't know how they can truly believe some of the stuff they post.

Do they really think their taxes are going to increase by $6500? Or that there will be no more oil or gas? Or that streets will be in chaos and all police fired? How can you think someone who has been in the public eye for years be part of a child sex trafficking network.

I mean people, use critical thinking skills. These are college educated, some of them teachers of elementary children.

It makes me sad. They are unfollowed for my sanity. But doesn't that make the divide much wider?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I have some real life friends on Facebook who support Trump.i just don't know how they can truly believe some of the stuff they post.

Do they really think their taxes are going to increase by $6500? Or that there will be no more oil or gas? Or that streets will be in chaos and all police fired? How can you think someone who has been in the public eye for years be part of a child sex trafficking network.

I mean people, use critical thinking skills. These are college educated, some of them teachers of elementary children.

It makes me sad. They are unfollowed for my sanity. But doesn't that make the divide much wider?
I am stunned that people would actually believe that if Biden got in that they would lose their electricity because Trump said it? Are people that stupid?

Dobre

NYT and WP both indicated the youth vote turnout looks like there's a good chance it's going to surpass 2008 and 2018, and it's trending 2:1 Biden to Trump. I have been taking people to the poll at our county BOE for early voting and can confirm there are a lot of young people in line when I've been there.
Have been hearing this over the last few days as well:).

Also lots of new voters. I heard 1 in 5 in one area. The 1 in 4 on a broadcast the next day. Then 17% yesterday. Hence, I've no idea how many but definitely new voters.

And, fyi, the percent of early voters in one of the rural Republican-heavy counties near me is up 35% despite having had the lowest voter turnout in the state 4 years ago. Pretty much confirms my guess that voting is going to be up in both parties.

ballettmaus

They asked someone on MSNBC about that tonight (an editor of something, I was doing stuff while watching, so I don't recall) and she said that she believes that there are Trump supporters that are not caught by polls (just like she believes there are Biden supporters who aren't caught by polls) but she doesn't believe that there are any silent supporters since Trump supporters are proud to support him.

I can see where she's coming from; his supporters do and say what they do and say because the fact that the President does and says it makes it acceptable to them.

VarBar

If I am not mistaken, Ronald Reagan won in 49 of 50 states when he ran for re-election in 1984. My only question now is if Donald Trump will be able to set a new record by winning in all the 50 states. I wouldn't rule that out.

Susan1

Not laughing at you, but we, as a country, and also we, as in FSU, have had so many debates about that and no one agrees on anything about it!
I know! Just a rhetorical question, rambling because I am stressed out. There's a new FB meme every week about abolishing the Electoral College.

In other news - I got an email overnight that my friend in Australia found out her absentee ballot in Florida has been counted. She said she was starting to get worried. She has two adult married children here. I emailed back, do they vote Dem? (just looking for votes) She has dual citizenship and they've moved back here a couple times. I don't know if her husband, who is from Australia and she met here, votes here. You'd think she would say, instead of "my" vote.

And - where were we talking about Canada, and what states and countries I've been to? I forgot about Chicago. I thought of that last night for some reason. Anyway..........

ETA - her husband is not a citizen here. But "he despises trump" as much as she does. That's why they moved to Australia the first time because he could only stay here so long. Her son refuses to vote. Her daughter is a Dem. She said if you don't vote in Australia, you get fined. p.s. - she even attached a picture of her online thing that said her vote was counted. I can't imagine being this (what?) vigilant in any other election. We voted for Hillary, prayed, worried, went into a deep depression after, but this is more intense.

Last edited:

Louis

Private citizen

Polling error works both ways, and not always in Republicans' favor. (Obama outperformed.) I'm ambivalent about Biden, but don't think Democrats have much to be worried about this time.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet more on a blowout (400+ electoral votes for Biden) than a close contest.

For anyone who cares, I ended up voting Libertarian. I couldn't in good conscience vote for the party of lockdown and authoritarianism, but also couldn't endorse Trump's erratic and dangerous behavior. I'm reluctantly OK with a third-party vote that allows Biden to be president even if I couldn't in good conscience fill in the circle myself.

tony

If I am not mistaken, Ronald Reagan won in 49 of 50 states when he ran for re-election in 1984. My only question now is if Donald Trump will be able to set a new record by winning in all the 50 states. I wouldn't rule that out.
I'm fairly certain you have no idea how it works based on this post. There are many states where Biden has a 20-30% lead, and while DC isn't technically a 'state', it's still worth electoral votes and he's ahead by 78% there.

All 50 states for Trump? Please.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
In the September 2019 election in Israel, someone at my polling location voted for the Pirate Party.

Indeed and this is the thing, people do write in Mickey Mouse and you can't entirely rule out the possibility that the polls are not picking up the extent of this (I mean if you are writing in Mickey Mouse are you going to tell pollsters?) so you just can't rule out the possibility that Mickey Mouse will win all 50 states.

MsZem

Indeed and this is the thing, people do write in Mickey Mouse and you can't entirely rule out the possibility that the polls are not picking up the extent of this (I mean if you are writing in Mickey Mouse are you going to tell pollsters?) so you just can't rule out the possibility that Mickey Mouse will win all 50 states.
I should note that the Pirate Party is a real party and not a write-in ;)

clairecloutier

I made the mistake of reading that article last night and wished I hadn’t.

I am worried about quiet Trump voters. Yet at the same time, I'm not sure about the conceptual basis underpinning the idea of shy Trump voters, which is that there is some huge social stigma/price to supporting Trump. That isn’t true in much of the South or in rural areas, where the default is Trump support. And I don’t know if it’s even true in other areas.

I was talking to a Democratic friend who lives in an affluent suburb in New Hampshire, and he was saying that in his neighborhood of about 35 homes, there are like 20 or so homes with Trump signs. This is an educated, well-off area in the Northeast, so if these homeowners don't feel any social stigma to Trump support, then who does?? My friend was saying how he doesn't agree with his neighbors' views, but added, "You don't say too much because you don't want to ruin the friendship." This is why I think there isn't really that much social stigma attached to Trump support: Because, even if other people don't approve of it, most simply are not willing to rock the boat over it.

And then, there's stuff like this: https://twitter.com/kujocelyn/status/1322173872595193856

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I think there were "shy" Trump voters in 2016; see the column from the NY Times I posted yesterday. I think they thought he would lose and wanted to give the finger to someone/something or other and they've likely learned that wasn't such a good idea.

I think there are much more likely to be quiet against-Trump voters this time. In Trump areas Trump supporters are loud and people probably don't want to speak up if they think its just not a good idea to have four more years of this.

FiveRinger

I think there are a lot of silent Trump voters still today.
Let's pray they don't find their way to the polls.

Seriously, there are 2 things that keep me optimistic about this election. The first is that Trump has never had a 50% job approval rating during his entire term. That's the worst in history. It should be really hard to get re-elected when your approval rating is abysmally low. Even Fox can't twist the numbers to say something positive about that.

Secondly, I think that the whole stop counting ballots campaign that the Republicans are running is going to backfire. If Biden manages to hold leads in the swing states, they are going to beg for those ballots to be counted. Even though there are people running to the polls en masse to vote, I don't discount the number of people (i.e. Democrats) that will wait to vote on Election Day, in person.

I'm still amazed at the Republican candidates down the ballot who are in close races are going along with this. I guess they're just supposed to be martyrs for the cause.

How do you even have an election where you change the rules for counting the ballots after the voting has already started? Some serious voting reform needs to happen ASAP. This is voter suppression and it's ridiculous

Louis

Private citizen
I made the mistake of reading that article last night and wished I hadn’t.

I am worried about quiet Trump voters. Yet at the same time, I'm not sure about the conceptual basis underpinning the idea of shy Trump voters, which is that there is some huge social stigma/price to supporting Trump. That isn’t true in much of the South or in rural areas, where the default is Trump support. And I don’t know if it’s even true in other areas.

I was talking to a Democratic friend who lives in an affluent suburb in New Hampshire, and he was saying that in his neighborhood of about 35 homes, there are like 20 or so homes with Trump signs. This is an educated, well-off area in the Northeast, so if these homeowners don't feel any social stigma to Trump support, then who does?? My friend was saying how he doesn't agree with his neighbors' views, but added, "You don't say too much because you don't want to ruin the friendship." This is why I think there isn't really that much social stigma attached to Trump support: Because, even if other people don't approve of it, most simply are not willing to rock the boat over it.

I work with a few high-powered liberals who would fire, deny promotions, and discriminate against anyone who supported Trump or any Republican for that matter. And it's perfectly legal.

Contrary to this perception of corporate America being pro-Republican, much of it is run by the intolerant liberal left. If you don't subscribe to their political views, you can be sacked with no recourse. There's absolutely no protection against it in most states. One wrong political donation can sink a career.

My method is to keep politics out of work. One my mentors, who privately was a moderate Democrat, advised me to walk the line - be active, donate to political candidates from both parties, show engagement and bipartisanship, with a nod to one party. That may have worked 10 years when things were less polarized. It doesn't work now.

Maybe the 20 or so homeowners are independently wealthy, self-employed, or work for corporations where it's OK to be a Trump supporters. I can guarantee it's not OK at others. And this isn't "woe is me" - it happens to Democrats, too, e.g., the article skatesindreams posted about a Florida business owner threatening to fire anyone who didn't vote for Trump. If we want to live in an open and democratic society, political affiliation should be a protected class, the same as religion. No one should be fired or discriminated against for supporting, donating to, or voting for a political candidate.

clairecloutier

If we want to live in an open and democratic society, political affiliation should be a protected class, the same as religion. No one should be fired or discriminated against for supporting, donating to, or voting for a political candidate.

I definitely agree with this last point.

We are entering a true danger zone as a society if people are getting fired or held back in their career due to politics. On either side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information