2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Tony Wheeler

Actually I read the whole discussion and you don’t have to justify yourself to me just don’t say those of us that don’t watch are misinformed or lazy! You can think whatever you like but don’t start attacking me thank you.
I didn't call anyone misinformed or lazy on this board. That was an interpretation. You are also not being attacked-- but okay. I said, broken record, that I chose to watch both to hear things straight out of their mouths for my own good when discussing on Facebook or other social media, or even with people who think they know it all in face-to-face discussions. If anyone was 'attacked' (since that's apparently thrown out so easily), it was me for, in their words, giving 'ratings' to Trump. But that's been shut down as untrue and now we've moved on to other things.

I also said if you don't want to put in that effort and would rather post links to articles/clips form your chosen news source after the fact, then you're giving the same attention to all of it that some posters are all hellbent on telling me I'm so bad for doing by choosing to watch both town halls in real-time.

No one has said you're supporting him. It was simply about the fact that your words are implying that we're not informed because we're not watching him but choose to read articles and watch the news instead.

No one here is over the things Trump says. They are frightening, disgusting, petty, abhorent, false, ridiculous, undemocratic, dismissive... the list goes on and on. And I don't really know what being over it has to do with choosing not to watch him lie and insult on live TV.

See above.

Meoima

Presidential elections are referendums for or against one of the candidate. 4 years ago, Trump ended up winning the EC and part of the reason was a referendum against Hillary Clinton for whatever reason. People voted for Trump or worse didn't vote at all which was essentially the same thing because "I can't stand her." And, everybody I know who did that had no real reasons for their stance. This time, it's a referendum against Trump. He has supporters, but the majority of the country didn't like him 4 years ago and like him much less now. The key is if they're willing to actually get out and vote. One of the women who asked Biden a question is 29 and NEVER voted before. She has a young transgender daughter which is what is prompting her to actually get involved with her government. My professional organization makes rules that impact the entire profession, yet the majority of RTs in the country don't belong, don't get involved, right up until a minority makes rules that impact the majority. I drill it into the students that their complacency is what will be their undoing. It's the same with our government.
Let me be frank, and this is what a person living far away think about the US election: the fact that US chose the current president was a huge mistake but if it was a glitch of the system then we would understand and of course it’s logical to honor your democracy system.
But if this thing repeats the same mistake after such disastrous 4 years then we have to say your system is rigged and fragile and not that much dependable.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Let me be frank, and this is what a person living far away think about the US election: the fact that US chose the current president was a huge mistake but if it was a glitch of the system then we would understand and of course it’s logical to honor your democracy system.
But if this thing repeats the same mistake after such disastrous 4 years then we have to say your system is rigged and fragile and not that much dependable.
Agree, but history shows that nothing lasts forever, even democracies. :(

Meoima

Agree, but history shows that nothing lasts forever, even democracies. :(
Yeah, everyone remembers the fall of the Roman empire... maybe it's time for the US. Interesting that so many smart people see the issue but none could stop it then...

ballettmaus

Russia had a huge misinformation campaign on social media. The voter groups they targeted had low turnout. Russia also had the ability to change votes and voter registration rolls. Officials claim neither votes nor voter registration were altered but who breaks into a house and then leaves again? And even if they didn't alter votes and voter rolls, they still had a social media campaign and propaganda works. So, no one knows if the US truly chose Trump.

And since we already know that Russia is interfering again and the voting systems are still the same, meaning, they likely still have access, we won't know if the US chose Trump again should he win re-election, unless there is a transparent and comprehensive investigation.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Russia had a huge misinformation campaign on social media. The voter groups they targeted had low turnout. Russia also had the ability to change votes and voter registration rolls. Officials claim neither votes nor voter registration were altered but who breaks into a house and then leaves again? And even if they didn't alter votes and voter rolls, they still had a social media campaign and propaganda works. So, no one knows if the US truly chose Trump.

And since we already know that Russia is interfering again and the voting systems are still the same, meaning, they likely still have access, we won't know if the US chose Trump again should he win re-election, unless there is a transparent and comprehensive investigation.
That actually proves her point that it's probably not a glitch in the system.

Speaking of not glitches, people have posted about the GOP putting "official" ballot drop-off boxes in places to "harvest ballots". They claim they are not outside, not official (took "official" off some of them; blamed it on a volunteer), etc. But today my friend went to the library to drop off her ballot and one of those unofficial boxes was sitting there right next to the real one. She posted about it on FB and asked if we'd put our ballot in either of those boxes and went to another location. But how many will decide to go to another location later and then never do it?

I am LIVID. And of course, they did this on Friday so most likely nothing will happen until Monday. Someone did knock the fake box over. But it's locked to a pole so can't be removed without wire cutters.

Here's her post about it:

Dobre

I applaud anyone that can watch both candidates speak & relay what is said to the rest of us. I appreciate that news reporters are doing this job, some of them day in & day out.

But I cannot listen to Trump speak. It literally makes me ill. Everything he says feels designed to hurt someone. Even when I watch Stephen Colbert--which I find thoroughly therapeutic--I have to mute or fast forward through the president's clips.

I know enough about this man & his incompetence/selfishness/animosity to vote. I feel bad about not being as up to date & thoroughly informed as I should like to be about the past 4 years, but I just. Cannot. Listen. To. Hate.
Speaking of not glitches, people have posted about the GOP putting "official" ballot drop-off boxes in places to "harvest ballots".

I read about this happening in California a few days ago. It was on facebook so I'm always a bit wary about those kind of warnings. But this was due to the California GOP.

Made me furious also.

Here is an updated article:

I can't believe they are getting away with this. They refuse to say where they left the boxes. They claim it was just an "overzealous" volunteer that labeled some of the boxes as "official." If someone wants to deliver their ballot to a specific party, then it should be done at some type of party headquarters and very clearly labeled for what it is.

Meanwhile, here there was a facebook message going around from the nutty group that wants to turn parts of Oregon into Idaho, warning people not to mail their ballots because those would go through Portland, and OMG you know what would happen to them there:rolleyes:. Instead the message advised people to deliver their ballots directly to the county seat.

Well, that is fine if you want to do that, but it is also stupid. Every town has an official drop box. The county seat OTOH is over a 2-hour roundtrip drive for the majority of people in at least two of my local counties. So if Republican voters wait around for election day & go to work & then don't feel like driving in the evening or find themselves running too far behind, then the party could be out that number of votes. Stupid.

Judy

Listen-- you all do you. You're going to come here and post all the synopsis articles and quick clips of what he said, whether they were full answers or misconstrued by media with an agenda. The Trump lovers are going to twist around things Biden said based on what Fox News or whatever else puts out. We all know this.

I chose to watch both to know exactly what Trump was saying and make my own determination and/or be well-informed if I choose to get involved in another discussion turned fight on Facebook or on other social media. If you don't like putting the effort in, that's fine-- but the 'don't give him ratings or attention' means absolutely zero no matter how hard the people pushing it here are trying. I'm not part of the Nielsen group. You're all giving him attention by linking to articles complaining about him anyways.

Still voting Biden.
Exactly .. do what you want. Personally I find Trump absolutely drains me mentally and emotionally so I’ve decided for myself to tune him out for at least the weekend. To each their own,

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
See my post up above. This isn't some rando on FB. It's my friend who I know personally.

I am going to report them everywhere I can.
How does it happen that the libraries go along with the GOP dropboxes? Are they not aware they are doing it? Things like this from outside sources at our libraries have to be approved before they can be displayed, and it seems like they would only sanction the official dropboxes.

b-man

Disappointed sleepy Joe not asked about the Hunter Biden laptop that has surfaced, given to the New York Post and the FBI, who seem to have buried it. The hard drive has been copied, and a number of media and conservative sources have access. Some sources are confirming it is legitimate, despite the MSM efforts to label it as Russian disinformation. It contains tens of thousands of emails, as well as compromising photos of Hunter. Early facts show Burisma pressured board member Hunter to get father Biden to protect the company, and Joe complied by getting a Ukranian prosecutor, investigating Burisma, fired. Nice to know a US Vice President was acting on behalf of a foreign company to increase the family earnings. It also appears, while Biden was selling his office for the benefit of his family, family members were required to kick back 50% of their ill gotten earnings to Joe. More illegal activity from the Biden crime family likely to follow. The MSM will try to ignore, bury, discredit this for the next 2 weeks. They have got their work cut out for them.

Peaches LaTour

Daily Mail also has nice story of Hunter and $30 million deal with Chinese for introductions. Photo supposedly shows Hunter with crack pipe. Much more to follow.

And when you have something factual to contribute, please feel free to contribute it.

ballettmaus

That actually proves her point that it's probably not a glitch in the system.

I assumed it was about the people rather than the system itself because so much I've read has been about the people (and I get easily triggered by it because all those comments usually treat it like it was a legitimate election and it just drives me nuts ;)) Anyway, if we're talking about the election system itself then I think it's safe to say that a system that has allowed the popular vote loser to become President so many times in recent years, has a Supreme Court that is able to stop a recount before it's finished and therefore, prevents Americans to ever know the accurate vote count (regardless of how it would have ended), allows for such a power imbalance when it comes to state representation per population, untraceable ballots and is vulnerable to such extreme voter suppression, is deeply flawed and fragile. Trump may have caused a majority of people to realize just how bad it's gotten and that this isn't acceptable anymore (compared to the same "few" who've tried to fight it for a while) but whether he wins reelection or not, I don't think he's the one who exposed the flaws in the election system.

Stop trying to make fetch happen.

What, you don't consider the NY Post and Daily Mail reliable sources? :rofl:

Last edited:

Judy

Yes definitely they are interfering.

becca

I wonder if anyone had read the article I posted about the lack of enthusiasm for Biden. The article argued That the over emotional messiah like attitudes toward Trump, Obama wasn’t a good thing. And that such enthusiasm always has a negative Reaction. That it may be a good thing for our country to have someone like Biden.

caseyedwards

I wonder if anyone had read the article I posted about the lack of enthusiasm for Biden. The article argued That the over emotional messiah like attitudes toward Trump, Obama wasn’t a good thing. And that such enthusiasm always has a negative Reaction. That it may be a good thing for our country to have someone like Biden.
There is just incredible enthusiasm for Biden. Every time he is on TV he gets higher ratings than trump. FACT.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
I drove by the Registrar of Voters building on Crosby Street earlier this morning which is the designated place for early voting in my town. The line was pretty long, almost all the way to the end of Crosby Street. Everyone was safe distancing and had their masks on.

I recognized several of the people, both black and white, waiting in line to vote. I had my window rolled down, and I suddenly heard several of the people shouting "Hi Angie!". I nearly cracked up laughing. I've lived in my town all my life, and that's just how most of the people are.

I even heard the former Mayor shout at me and asked "Are you going to vote, Angie?" I shouted back and said "Yes I'm definitely voting!" The current Mayor was there, too, with the former Mayor. They're both African American, and I voted for them during election time.

The former Mayor (Mayor McCoy) had appointed me to be a member of the Board of Directors for Family Housing, and he also appointed me to be a member of the Chamber of Commerce. That was in 2005. Mayor McCoy's mother was one of the Apartment Managers. She worked for Calhoun Property Management where I was employed and worked in Accounting. I also worked with Rental Occupancy and Industry Interface where I transmitted information to the USDA Rural Development in several districts throughout Louisiana and Texas.

The majority of the people waiting in line to vote were Democrat, and some were Republican. What's interesting is that I recognized some of those people that were Republican, too. I had seen and talked to several of them about a month ago whenever I went to town to the grocery store. Several of the people (my friends) told me that they had decided to vote for Biden.

One of those friends that told me she was voting for Biden had just lost her dad to the Beer Burden. He was Republican, and because of Trump claiming there was nothing to the Beer Burden, he didn't wear a mask and didn't social distance. Her dad was 72 years old, and she blamed Trump because of all the lies and misinformation.

VGThuy

I drove by the Registrar of Voters building on Crosby Street earlier this morning which is the designated place for early voting in my town. The line was pretty long, almost all the way to the end of Crosby Street. Everyone was safe distancing and had their masks on.

I recognized several of the people, both black and white, waiting in line to vote. I had my window rolled down, and I suddenly heard several of the people shouting "Hi Angie!". I nearly cracked up laughing. I've lived in my town all my life, and that's just how most of the people are.

I even heard the former Mayor shout at me and asked "Are you going to vote, Angie?" I shouted back and said "Yes I'm definitely voting!" The current Mayor was there, too, with the former Mayor. They're both African American, and I voted for them during election time.

The former Mayor (Mayor McCoy) had appointed me to be a member of the Board of Directors for Family Housing, and he also appointed me to be a member of the Chamber of Commerce. That was in 2005. Mayor McCoy's mother was one of the Apartment Managers. She worked for Calhoun Property Management where I was employed and worked in Accounting. I also worked with Rental Occupancy and Industry Interface where I transmitted information to the USDA Rural Development in several districts throughout Louisiana and Texas.

The majority of the people waiting in line to vote were Democrat, and some were Republican. What's interesting is that I recognized some of those people that were Republican, too. I had seen and talked to several of them about a month ago whenever I went to town to the grocery store. Several of the people (my friends) told me that they had decided to vote for Biden.

One of those friends that told me she was voting for Biden had just lost her dad to the Beer Burden. He was Republican, and because of Trump claiming there was nothing to the Beer Burden, he didn't wear a mask and didn't social distance. Her dad was 72 years old, and she blamed Trump because of all the lies and misinformation.

My siblings are telling me all the stories of how long they've been waiting in line to vote and sharing pics in New Orleans. Those lines are long as hell but people seem determined to vote.

becca

There is just incredible enthusiasm for Biden. Every time he is on TV he gets higher ratings than trump. FACT.
Well yes but I think the article was saying more in terms of he is not drawing loud crowds their is no Messiah like complex. It’s actually a good thing. Because less expectations.

caseyedwards

Well yes but I think the article was saying more in terms of he is not drawing loud crowds their is no Messiah like complex. It’s actually a good thing. Because less expectations.
Oh I see but there is incredible enthusiasm without the hero worship

once_upon

Voter
Just my personal opinion - Im not sure how ratings are determined anymore, but suspect with as much as the internet knows about us, it is your TV or device that sends data to a service like Nielsen ratings. 🤷

I understand wanting to hear the actual conversation, not taken out of context or summarized by other news stations, media or even other people. I think, but don't want to put words in @Tony Wheeler mouth, I believe he wanted talking points to discuss the Trump agenda with his friends or acquaintances who support Trump.

I get that - in the beginning of the ********* crisis, I listened to the entire daily Trump briefing on the responses of the US. Every day. I wanted to be able to have the talking points.

For me, it was not about giving Trump ratings or not. To be honest, I could not listen to either "town hall", not just because there was a bit of drama at my house, but I decided I just could not do that to myself. No one hears me yelling at the TV, the ongoing political ads and political statements - I am done with it. Im not sure it makes a difference anymore. The whole world is effed up anyway.

I guess I would say, ratings really don't count. What counts is that people get the information they need. No matter what those reasons are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information