2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Tony Wheeler

It really seems outdated to me. I think advertisers like that it's outdated in a certain way.

Of course it is. I think many people in bigger cities don't even watch TV regularly and/or many younger generations don't watch a single thing on network television (versus Netflix or Hulu). But all these posts about not watching because it gives him ratings-- incorrect.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
For the past three weeks, I've found cards every day from Senator Bill Cassidy, Mike Johnson for Louisiana District 4 (Congress) asking to re-elect them. This, of course, is coming from the Republican Committee.

I'm a Democrat, of course, and I'm being bombarded with these cards. Every day, I throw those cards in File 13 because one card should have been enough. Maybe it's out of desperation from them, but mailing those cards every day is ridiculous to say the least.

I was getting not quite as many, but at least one a week - so I started ripping them up, writing a reply on a card (Disney Villain cards from USPS), throwing them in an envelope and sending them back to the MN GOP. In the last one, I also threw some glitter into the envelope and mailed it back (supporting USPS, win/win).

It's been about 3 weeks since I got any literature, so I think they got the message.

Tony Wheeler

Do you honestly think that I believe that posts in a figure skating forum affect actual Neilsen ratings? It's about putting the general idea out there that what the cancer in the white house wants most is attention. Don't give it to him.
Listen-- you all do you. You're going to come here and post all the synopsis articles and quick clips of what he said, whether they were full answers or misconstrued by media with an agenda. The Trump lovers are going to twist around things Biden said based on what Fox News or whatever else puts out. We all know this.

I chose to watch both to know exactly what Trump was saying and make my own determination and/or be well-informed if I choose to get involved in another discussion turned fight on Facebook or on other social media. If you don't like putting the effort in, that's fine-- but the 'don't give him ratings or attention' means absolutely zero no matter how hard the people pushing it here are trying. I'm not part of the Nielsen group. You're all giving him attention by linking to articles complaining about him anyways.

Still voting Biden.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
Does anyone understand how Nielsen ratings work?
Yes, I do, believe it or not. lol! Back in the early 90's I was sent a package in the mail from the Nielsen ratings. I had been selected to participate. Of course, I don't know what they go by or how you're selected.

I had to fill out a form every day for about a week. I had to list what I watched during the day and during the night. If I watched All My Children, I had to put that on my list. I had a job that was only about 5 minutes away from where I lived. I always went home at noon to watch All My Children. I couldn't watch all of it because I had to be back at work before 1: p.m.

But that's how it worked. If I watched Dynasty or Knots Landing ... whatever I watched, I had to list the time and the show, etc. After the week was over with, I put the forms in a return envelope that was also provided in the packet.

Like I said, that was the way it was done in the early 90's. Not sure how it's done now.

kedrin

If you don't like putting the effort in, that's fine-- but the 'don't give him ratings or attention' means absolutely zero no matter how hard the people pushing it here are trying. I'm not part of the Nielsen group. You're all giving him attention by linking to articles complaining about him anyways.

Still voting Biden.
Ah. So now I'm lazy AND ignorant. Thanks. Actually, I can't remember if I've ever posted a link to a Trump article- because I genuinely believe that the less attention he gets, the better.

Also still voting Biden.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
My way of watching Trump is simply to read Twitter accounts and watch clips of what he said from the people who are watching him. But he doesn't get to count my watching in the streaming or TV statistics. But mostly I don't watch him because he raises my blood pressure too high. I've successfully gotten it down since I quit my job and I'd like to keep it down. I watched the Biden Town Hall.

Tony Wheeler

Ah. So now I'm lazy AND ignorant. Thanks. Actually, I can't remember if I've ever posted a link to a Trump article- because I genuinely believe that the less attention he gets, the better.

Also still voting Biden.
The point being people here will complain non-stop about Trump. I do it too. But questioning why I or anyone else would ever watch his town hall as it gives him 'ratings', as I've now said probably three times, is not correct.

I didn't say you were lazy or ignorant. I said I would rather hear it straight from the source than read a bunch of articles afterwards, and if you or anyone else don't want to- I literally said 'that's fine'. I do find it silly to talk about all the things he said or supposedly said afterwards yet question anyone who would dare watch what he said in real-time.
My way of watching Trump is simply to read Twitter accounts and watch clips of what he said from the people who are watching him. But he doesn't get to count my watching in the streaming or TV statistics. But mostly I don't watch him because he raises my blood pressure too high. I've successfully gotten it down since I quit my job and I'd like to keep it down. I watched the Biden Town Hall.
Again with the TV statistics-- unless you are part of Nielsen and/or have a box in your home tracking what you're watching, you are not part of any ratings number that is reported. All of you watching Biden's town hall via ABC last night, unless part of Nielsen, also don't matter in the scope of those numbers.

kedrin

Does anyone understand how Nielsen ratings work?
Implies ignorance, without actually saying it.

If you don't like putting the effort in, that's fine--
Implies laziness, without actually saying it.

And then you get to deny you ever said 'ignorant' or 'lazy', and you are absolutely correct, you didn't use the words. Somehow, though, through your phrasing, that was the message I got.

Tony Wheeler

Implies ignorance, without actually saying it.

Implies laziness, without actually saying it.

And then you get to deny you ever said 'ignorant' or 'lazy', and you are absolutely correct, you didn't use the words. Somehow, though, through your phrasing, that was the message I got.
You know what is ignorant? People questioning why I would give Trump 'ratings' when I'm not giving him them at all. If you think me asking if they understand how ratings work after repeated comments about 'ratings' is ignorant... sorry?

If you don't like putting the effort in to see the things Trump actually said versus what is being reported in small clips and soundbites, you can personally call it lazy. I guarantee you that if some of our pro-MAGA people here (the few) came and said "Well Biden said or did this" or better yet, "I read (or heard) that Biden said this", there would be plenty of people stating that they actually (stressed here because it would be clarified, no doubt) watched the town hall, and giving corrections to whatever was being shared/reported.

Susan1

Town Hall ratings:
I was just getting ready to post this. I didn't watch because I don't watch trump. I saw all the lowlights later, and still today. I recorded Big Brother, like I always do. (I have 5 to catch up on now.) Maybe the Nielsen people do that too. Maybe it's like the electoral college/popular vote = Neilsen/everybody else. ha ha Somebody has to be watching the lower Nielsen-rated shows. Otherwise, they wouldn't have all the people writing in not to cancel THEIR show. ???

kedrin

For clarity: my last post is not about ratings or effort. It's about how people phrase an argument so that they can later deny that they said 'that'. I've seen a lot of dog-whistling in the last four years, and I'm sick of it.

Yes. I understand how ratings work. Yes, I understand that, as you don't have a Neilsen box on your TV, you're not giving anyone 'ratings'. I agree that ratings are outdated- probably 'clicks' would be a better measurement these days, and anyone who posts a link to an article is giving more 'clicks' to that article, more attention to the subject of that article.

When something has an insatiable need for attention, I believe that denying that attention is as valid a way of fighting that thing as any other way. I promise you, sometimes it takes extreme effort not to respond.

Last edited:

Judy

I saw the clip. Blurgh. In other clips this morning, there was also a woman in a red mask in the back row who you could see nodding every time trump lied?

Morning Joe showed the clips of trump and Joe talking about when they took a test. Night and day.

FB meme - Mary trump -

Remember when I said he would whine about the tough questions? I saw a clip where he said why don't you ask Biden these questions? Well, you're there. He isn't. Should have had a debate.

Another idea for a Lincoln Project ad - to the tune of the Everly Brothers (actually, a little before my time, so I always remember it by Herman's Hermits! <and the slower one by James Taylor) "I don't know much about q-anon. I don't know much about my taxes. I don't know much about my own health. But I do know about a non-existent group called Antifa."

I haven't even read the Ben Sasse thing I attached last night. What was the point of the call to his constituents? Was he trying to get their votes for himself? Even though he's supported him for four years, but this is how I really feel. Was he trying to get them not to vote for trump, even though he supported him for four years?

All these gop that are going down the toilet now? They had their chance to impeach and remove. You get what you deserve.
i am actually reading Mary’s book. It is a bit hard for me to read as it is about Trump who I strongly dislike but it is very well written. The parents were 😳 especially the father. Has anyone read it?

Tony Wheeler

For clarity: my last port is not about ratings or effort. It's about how people phrase an argument so that they can later deny that they said 'that'. I've seen a lot of dog-whistling in the last four years, and I'm sick of it.

Yes. I understand how ratings work. Yes, I understand that, as you don't have a Neilsen box on your TV, you're not giving anyone 'ratings'. I agree that ratings are outdated- probably 'clicks' would be a better measurement these days, and anyone who posts a link to an article is giving more 'clicks' to that article, more attention to the subject of that article.

When something has an insatiable need for attention, I believe that denying that attention is as valid a way of fighting that thing as any other way. I promise you, sometimes it takes extreme effort not to respond.

We are not going to agree on the first part. The repeated claims of me giving ratings to, and then by doing so, somehow 'supporting' Trump were BS and ignorant. If I choose to be educated by listening to both sides (directly from their mouths), especially as someone who has made it extremely clear that I'm voting Biden and even been called a 'Neo-liberal' by posters here at FSU, there should be absolutely no questioning why I'm doing so, and no hiding behind 'but you're giving him ratings'. Frankly, what I'm tired of, are people on both sides throwing out complete fabrications or twists on things based on what they 'heard'.

You may not personally give in to any of this, but please look around. This board is probably 95%+ in favor of Biden and there are threads with thousands of replies about all the things Trump does (wrong) with links galore. So I'm essentially being told- don't educate yourself with your own ears, but please share in the trashing when the articles from our favorite news sources come out the next day. I could call that in itself ignorant.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

I chose to watch both to know exactly what Trump was saying and make my own determination and/or be well-informed if I choose to get involved in another discussion turned fight on Facebook or on other social media.

So, anyone who doesn't watch isn't well-informed?

Trump has been saying the same things at rallies and in tweets for days, weeks, months, years, depending on how old his lies are. And we are seeing every single day that he means exactly what he says, so there is no context that the media can manipulate. The ones who are manipulating what he says are his enablers once they realize he's said something controversial and they're trying to walk it back. How do we know? Because he repeats the same things again and again and again and/or follows it up with actions. Because former staffers tell us - a whole drove of them, including those he fired out of retaliation because they weren't loyal enough.

Watch him if it makes you happy but none of us here are uninformed because we refuse to watch the words of a attention-craving narcissist authoritarian. One does not need to watch Trump now to be informed about who he is.

Just out of curiosity, would you give the same curtesy - and therefore legitimacy - to Putin? Hitler? Mussolini? Erdogan? Kim? Xi? Franco? Castro? Lukashenko?

Last edited:

kedrin

The repeated claims of me giving ratings to, and then by doing so, somehow 'supporting' Trump were BS and ignorant.
You've been very clear that you don't support Trump.
So I'm essentially being told- don't educate yourself with your own ears, but please share in the trashing when the articles from our favorite news sources come out the next day. I could call that in itself ignorant.
Actually, my point is don't share in the trashing.

Congratulations, BTW, on stating that I'm ignorant, rather than implying it. It's an improvement.

Teamgracie

We don’t have to watch tr**** raging and frothing on tv to make an informed decision unless someone has been under a rock for the past 4 years or more! Geez... I think it’s more than clear if you have half a brain. My god!

Tony Wheeler

So, anyone who doesn't watch isn't well-informed?

Trump has been saying the same things at rallies and in tweets for days, weeks, months, years, depending on how old his lies are. And we are seeing every single day that he means exactly what he says, so there is no context that the media can manipulate. The ones who are manipulating what he says are his enablers once they realize he's said something controversial and they're trying to walk it back. How do we know? Because he repeats the same things again and again and again and/or follows it up with actions.

Watch him if you think it makes you happy none of us here are uninformed because we refuse to watch the words of a attention-craving narcissist authoritarian. One does not need to watch Trump now to be informed about who he is.
Putting words in my mouth with the first part. Nothing new. If I choose this method to be informed, then sorry, no one here is going to throw out some BS excuse like I'm 'supporting' him by doing so.

If everyone was over the repeated things Trump has said for the last weeks/months/years, then we wouldn't see threads with constant posts about what he's now doing. You know that. None of the for-sure Biden voters would be discussing anything Trump does. But here we are.
You've been very clear that you don't support Trump.

Actually, my point is don't share in the trashing.

Congratulations, BTW, on stating that I'm ignorant, rather than implying it. It's an improvement.
My exact reply:

You may not personally give in to any of this, but please look around
. This board is probably 95%+ in favor of Biden and there are threads with thousands of replies about all the things Trump does (wrong) with links galore. So I'm essentially being told- don't educate yourself with your own ears, but please share in the trashing when the articles from our favorite news sources come out the next day. I could call that in itself ignorant.

This was not geared towards you. I don't need your condescending congratulations.
We don’t have to watch tr**** raging and frothing on tv to make an informed decision unless someone has been under a rock for the past 4 years or more! Geez... I think it’s more than clear if you have half a brain. My god!
Thanks for half-reading the discussion and chiming in. I'm not voting Trump. I do get into plenty of political discussions outside of FSU and Miami is full of 'but Communism this! Communism that!' so I said it's helpful for me when debating or discussing with these people to just shut down the lies.

Teamgracie

Actually I read the whole discussion and you don’t have to justify yourself to me just don’t say those of us that don’t watch are misinformed or lazy! You can think whatever you like but don’t start attacking me thank you.

ballettmaus

Putting words in my mouth with the first part. Nothing new. If I choose this method to be informed, then sorry, no one here is going to throw out some BS excuse like I'm 'supporting' him by doing so.

No one has said you're supporting him. It was simply about the fact that your words are implying that we're not informed because we're not watching him but choose to read articles and watch the news instead.

If everyone was over the repeated things Trump has said for the last weeks/months/years, then we wouldn't see threads with constant posts about what he's now doing. You know that. None of the for-sure Biden voters would be discussing anything Trump does. But here we are.

No one here is over the things Trump says. They are frightening, disgusting, petty, abhorent, false, ridiculous, undemocratic, dismissive... the list goes on and on. And I don't really know what being over it has to do with choosing not to watch him lie and insult on live TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information