2020 U.S. Presidential Election

FiveRinger

Biden just said, the first thing he'd do as POTUS is revoke the executive orders Trump has put into place with regard to LGBTQ rights. Lord knows he'll spend the first year just undoing the damage that's been done before he can even start working with Congress to move forward. And, I do believe he'll attempt to work with Congress. He's not Trump.
Personally I would prefer that the first thing that he did as POTUS would be to address *********, but this is acceptable.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
You know it’s going to be the main focus of all stories and how much of a catastrophic disaster it was for Trump! So you can wait for clips on all the shows or watch it live

The way it works is if the supreme court gets an abortion case in 2022 and Biden signs is Supreme Court fairness bill before the 2022 term Begins he will appoint 6 Supreme Court Justices to hear that case. Right now there is no roe vs wade case At all. So if one comes after Biden appoints six justices then that’s a pro roe court
There is a Roe case on it's way to the courts. Packing the court is an issue because he's right that just creates a gotcha when the next GOP POTUS takes office. Harry Reed did things in the Senate that Mitch is using. That has to stop. But, I honestly don't know what he will do about the courts or what he should do. I think he's right that he has to wait and see what happens between now and January assuming he wins the election. What comes before the court and how she rules will make his choices for him, which makes it impossible for him to say now what he'd do if elected. It depends on what the court does.

caseyedwards

There is a Roe case on it's way to the courts. Packing the court is an issue because he's right that just creates a gotcha when the next GOP POTUS takes office. Harry Reed did things in the Senate that Mitch is using. That has to stop. But, I honestly don't know what he will do about the courts or what he should do. I think he's right that he has to wait and see what happens between now and January assuming he wins the election. What comes before the court and how she rules will make his choices for him, which makes it impossible for him to say what he'd do if elected.
Take the issue off the table completely! Say “it doesn’t matter if ACB is confirmed because I am going to appoint six Supreme Court justices if democrats control everything and pass a bill allowing it so it doesn’t matter!” Maybe the bill will even not wait for a new term. Maybe it will be in effect immediately. So even if there is a case all the new Biden justices can rule as soon as possible

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Take the issue off the table completely! Say “it doesn’t matter if ACB is confirmed because I am going to appoint six Supreme Court justices if democrats control everything and pass a bill allowing it so it doesn’t matter!” Maybe the bill will even not wait for a new term. Maybe it will be in effect immediately. So even if there is a case all the new Biden justices can rule as soon as possible
Because that's revenge and it doesn't work in the long run. It's a step that should only be taken after much consideration and consultation with constitutional scholars. If that is the only option, then do it, but it should be a last resort and not a screw you to conservatives. Trump has spent 4 years undoing whatever Obama did, because he's a jerk. No other reason. Biden is not Trump and cannot act like Trump.

Judy

So illegally obtained material about Trump's tax returns are fine, but illegally obtained material about Hunter Biden is not? :confused:

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander, and the obvious bias in the media is just going to stoke Trump supporters, drive them deeper into conspiracy theories, and probably drive turnout.
Well I think Trump’s Cult is already lost in so many ways.

Meoima

Trump actually said "that's cute" to Savannah Guthrie. Yeah I don't think suburban women are going to like him.
Four years ago I remember that the middle age women voted heavily for the guy though? Would they change their mind? As many have said they’re lost causes anyway.

sk9tingfan

I admitted that I was watching purely to satisfy my own curiosity, and for a little amusement. He always says something completely off the rails. But I couldn't handle it. The lies tonight were too much, too serious to take as fodder. I was pissed after 10 minutes and turned it off. Shame on me.
No. No shame on you. I grew up in NYC and lived in Manhattan for twenty years. Everybody in NYC knows who and what Trump is. I cannot bear to listen to him.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Presidential elections are referendums for or against one of the candidate. 4 years ago, Trump ended up winning the EC and part of the reason was a referendum against Hillary Clinton for whatever reason. People voted for Trump or worse didn't vote at all which was essentially the same thing because "I can't stand her." And, everybody I know who did that had no real reasons for their stance. This time, it's a referendum against Trump. He has supporters, but the majority of the country didn't like him 4 years ago and like him much less now. The key is if they're willing to actually get out and vote. One of the women who asked Biden a question is 29 and NEVER voted before. She has a young transgender daughter which is what is prompting her to actually get involved with her government. My professional organization makes rules that impact the entire profession, yet the majority of RTs in the country don't belong, don't get involved, right up until a minority makes rules that impact the majority. I drill it into the students that their complacency is what will be their undoing. It's the same with our government.

Dobre

It depends on what the court does.
And on the makeup of Congress. Those Senate races are vital.

I think if the court demolishes health care for people in the middle of a *********, that is going to have to be dealt with immediately. So many years getting this health care plan into place. It should require exactly as much time, energy, & effort to dismantle it:(. Still hoping that the court will realize that it is inhumane to destroy people's health insurance system in the middle of a global health crisis with no alternative plan in effect. You know, if you don't like the ACA, then it is your job to enact a better plan. That is governing. Destroying people's financial stability, career feasibility, health care, and lives all in one go--the opposite of governing.

But executive orders are within the president's purview. Hence overturning one is a logical step for a president to take & for a campaigning president to be able to follow through upon.

Dealing with ********* & quarantine laws are still legally under state & local control. Biden can do a lot of things to improve how businesses & funding are used to fight the *********. And he can be a much better role model & support the CDC and WHO. But that is going to involve many steps & many people/agencies & probably a redirection of funding in order to encourage governors & mayors to prioritize health recommendations first.

So, again, overturning an executive order is going to happen faster.

Last edited:

Susan1

I turned Trump off when he said he didn't remember whether or not he took a ********* test on the night of the debate. The biggest lie of the year. I'm sure I had smoke coming out of my ears. Then my sister called and I didn't get a chance to turn on Biden.
I've just been watching the commentary and they keep saying he lied. Nobody has mentioned that trump had to know they were going to ask that question, so a normal, honest, decent person would have made sure he knew the answer. Aren't you supposed to be prepared for these things? He knew when the debate was. It's not like he had to check the calendar. Instead of saying you should ask the doctors, which they have done. A normal, decent, honest human being would know something so important. So he wasn't just lying. He was hiding the facts.
Biden is still on. NBC gave Trump an hour. ABC is giving Biden 2.
I watched most of Biden. I thought he was great. So relaxed and I love the way he talks to people. He recognized the name of whatever guy's father worked with other senators. (See, I don't even remember from an hour ago.)

And Biden was only on for a little bit more than trump. On ABC, they were showing him still talking to people, while they were doing their post-show. One of them said he would still be standing there after we went to bed. On Chris Cuomo, one of the contributors said "lies, conspiracy theories and nonsense". That should be the Lincoln Project's new ad - trump's new slogan.

Susan1

New post - totally different subjects (scrolling through yahoo before I go to bed)

I heard somebody talking about this today (has it been mentioned here?) -

I've edited this twice. I really am going to bed now.

Vagabond

In a dire, nine-minute indictment of Mr. Trump’s foreign policy and what Mr. Sasse called his “deficient” values, the senator said the president had mistreated women and alienated important allies around the globe, been a profligate spender, ignored human rights and treated the ********* like a “P.R. crisis.” He predicted that a loss by Mr. Trump on Election Day, less than three weeks away, “looks likely,” and said that Republicans would face steep repercussions for having backed him so staunchly over four tumultuous years
Starting with Senator Sasse himself, I hope.

ballettmaus

Biden just said, the first thing he'd do as POTUS is revoke the executive orders Trump has put into place with regard to LGBTQ rights. Lord knows he'll spend the first year just undoing the damage that's been done before he can even start working with Congress to move forward. And, I do believe he'll attempt to work with Congress. He's not Trump.

As MSNBC had a career DOJ employee on who just quit, I said to my parents that should Biden win, he and his cabinet would probably be in complete shock over the state of the respective departments. I suspect it's far worse than we know.

Okay, I lied. I made phone calls for my favorite school board candidate and forgot all about these town halls.

And I don't regret it!

I didn't want to watch, tuned in (Biden, of course) just to check it out and found myself watching the whole thing. I thought it was his best town hall to date, in terms of questions and answers.

caseyedwards

Do people think Germany is an ally when it has given billions to Putin through nordstream? Germany is not an ally.

How did republicans “back” Trump? Beside from not removing him from office because of Ukraine

The first thing Mcconnell and Ryan did- their first act- banning Trumps wall

Of course- I mean almost all the usual republican money people support Biden

Last edited:

Susan1

Husband turned these on and first thing I saw was some middle age woman telling Trump he had a nice smile.
I saw the clip. Blurgh. In other clips this morning, there was also a woman in a red mask in the back row who you could see nodding every time trump lied?

Morning Joe showed the clips of trump and Joe talking about when they took a test. Night and day.

FB meme - Mary trump -

Remember when I said he would whine about the tough questions? I saw a clip where he said why don't you ask Biden these questions? Well, you're there. He isn't. Should have had a debate.

Another idea for a Lincoln Project ad - to the tune of the Everly Brothers (actually, a little before my time, so I always remember it by Herman's Hermits! <and the slower one by James Taylor) "I don't know much about q-anon. I don't know much about my taxes. I don't know much about my own health. But I do know about a non-existent group called Antifa."

I haven't even read the Ben Sasse thing I attached last night. What was the point of the call to his constituents? Was he trying to get their votes for himself? Even though he's supported him for four years, but this is how I really feel. Was he trying to get them not to vote for trump, even though he supported him for four years?

All these gop that are going down the toilet now? They had their chance to impeach and remove. You get what you deserve.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
For the past three weeks, I've found cards every day from Senator Bill Cassidy, Mike Johnson for Louisiana District 4 (Congress) asking to re-elect them. This, of course, is coming from the Republican Committee.

I'm a Democrat, of course, and I'm being bombarded with these cards. Every day, I throw those cards in File 13 because one card should have been enough. Maybe it's out of desperation from them, but mailing those cards every day is ridiculous to say the least.

I decided a couple of months ago to vote for Adrian Perkins for our next Senator. More can be found out about him from his website.

Perkins for Louisiana

Adrian is from Shreveport and lived in the Cedar Grove neighborhood. He went to West Point Academy, and completed Army Ranger training. He decided to serve his country after the 9/ll terrorist attack. He served in Iraq and Afghanistan and earned the rank of Captain. He also earned the Bronze Star.

Adrian is who I'm voting for, and I would vote for him even if I were Republican. So those cards being mailed to me each and every day has been a waste of their time and their money.

jeffisjeff

Starting with Senator Sasse himself, I hope.

This is just typical of Sasse and the other Republicans who have tried to have it both ways. They vote for Trump's agenda the vast majority of the time over the past (almost) 4 years and now, shortly before election day, they get "caught" on a "leaked" recording bashing Trump. Anyone wanna guess who "leaked" this recording? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information