2020 U.S. Presidential Election

yurokis40

The US is not a democracy anymore the juidiciary is no longer independant its basically become like China, the Party in power controls the judiciary branch ie the supreme court and lower courts, you guys are a banana republic as a canadian never had any problem voting doesn`t take me more than five minutes on election day. Waiting 8 hours to vote LMAO.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Couple that with a Twitter comment I was reading the other day about Trump attracting a 2016-size crowd in Sanford, FL, and this has me a bit worried.
I don't know about FL but when Trump does the rallies here, there are almost always a significant number of attendees who come from out of state. So they are not all state voters and many seem to follow him around like Grateful Dead devotees. They may go to ten rallies, but they still only have one vote, and that makes me feel a little better.

ballettmaus

Trump complained that the news covered Iowa's flood issues instead of his (non-existent) Nobel Peace Prize. In Iowa. :eek: https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1316542704344469504

Each time I believe he can't shock me anymore, he does. (And what's almost more shocking is that the people stayed and kept listening to him. Then again, I said to my parents earlier that they should start booking therapists specializing in cults if they want to talk about making sense of the Trump following).

Louis

Private citizen
My process for voting:

1. Print out and sign a form. (At least I don't need to have it witnessed as some people do.)
2. Mail to the Board of Elections in my state of last residence. I need to do this for every election, even if I voted in the last one. No way to do this digitally, must be by mail.
3. Receive an email from my former state with a ZIP file. (I have to physically mail, but they can email.)
4. Unzip this file, which contains four files.
5. Read four pages of instructions on what to do
6. I then print out three pages - which need to be on US sized paper.
7. From that paper, I then have to cut three sheets of paper
8. I need to do a little craft project to make the "secrecy" envelop - cutting, folding, taping, and hoping I did it correctly
9. Then I need to paste on the front of the envelop from one of the sheets of paper I printed out. The envelop says postage paid, except that does not apply to international voters (who are the vast majority who receive this "special voter packet"), and the four pages of instructions don't mention that anywhere.
10. And after all of that, I have to hope that the UK and US postal services - both of which seem unreliable at best - actually work.

Unreal. Paying taxes on worldwide income doesn't even get me a ballot.... I have to do a craft project to create one. All in all, I think I will have spent three hours and paid at least $10 in fees trying to vote in an election where the popular vote doesn't even matter. Printing, especially on US sized paper, is not easy during a p*ndemic.

The ridiculous thing is that I can think of 3-4 far easier ways to vote illegally, where my vote would matter more, than the one way of voting legally in a place where my vote doesn't matter. Many of my friends in PA have had two or three ballots sent to them (all in heavily Dem areas.... hmmmmmm). Maybe I should just ask them to loan me one of their extras instead of going through this rigmarole.

By comparison: UK and Italy send me ballots in the mail for every election. Don't need to request anything. Postage paid, even internationally (return to the consulate). Takes 30 seconds and costs nothing.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
My process for voting:

[all of your post]
That is insane. In Australia we just apply for a postal vote online and they send it to you. You do have to get your envelope that encloses your vote witnessed but it is a very simple process. And all run by the Australian Electoral Commission who oversee the voting process.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
Early voting begins in Louisiana starting tomorrow (Friday, October 16th). I've thought about waiting in line, but I don't think I could stand and wait for several hours using my walker. However, I'm voting November 3rd, and hopefully, it won't be as bad. I usually can park right in the front in one of the handicap parking spaces at the Chamber of Commerce.

It's my duty to do this, and neither hell nor high water will stop me. We must vote. There's too much at stake, and this craziness about Herd Immunity. We have to stop the Trumpery ... the nonsense that amounts to junk in everything he spews out of his mouth.

Trump admitted that he hid the seriousness about the Beer Burden from the people; that he knew how serious it was in February but didn't tell the people. When I first heard him say that, it reminded me of the movie, Inferno. Herd immunity? Trump actually wanting people, especially young people to not wear masks, go back to school, etc. etc. Let all the people go back to their normal lives without masks and no social distancing where all the people will get the Beer Burden?!

There's a scene in the movie, Inferno, where Professor Langdon tells Sienna "Killing Billions to save lives. That's the logic of Tyrants!".

It's around 2:12 when Professor Langdon tries to explain that to Sienna.

Kill Billions To Save Lives

And the truth of it is that President Trump is willing to even risk the lives of his own supporters and followers not realizing the logic of that is all his followers and supporters won't get to vote if they end up dead because of not wearing masks nor social distancing. The Trumpery is spreading and his own supporters and followers don't even realize it.

canbelto

Two people from Kamala's campaign have C19 so she;s suspended campaigning for the time being.

Judy

My process for voting:

1. Print out and sign a form. (At least I don't need to have it witnessed as some people do.)
2. Mail to the Board of Elections in my state of last residence. I need to do this for every election, even if I voted in the last one. No way to do this digitally, must be by mail.
3. Receive an email from my former state with a ZIP file. (I have to physically mail, but they can email.)
8. I need to do a little craft project to make the "secrecy" envelop - cutting, folding, taping, and hoping I did it correctly
9. Then I need to paste on the front of the envelop from one of the sheets of paper I printed out. The envelop says postage paid, except that does not apply to international voters (who are the vast majority who receive this "special voter packet"), and the four pages of instructions don't mention that anywhere.
10. And after all of that, I have to hope that the UK and US postal services - both of which seem unreliable at best - actually work.

Unreal. Paying taxes on worldwide income doesn't even get me a ballot.... I have to do a craft project to create one. All in all, I think I will have spent three hours and paid at least $10 in fees trying to vote in an election where the popular vote doesn't even matter. Printing, especially on US sized paper, is not easy during a p*ndemic.

The ridiculous thing is that I can think of 3-4 far easier ways to vote illegally, where my vote would matter more, than the one way of voting legally in a place where my vote doesn't matter. Many of my friends in PA have had two or three ballots sent to them (all in heavily Dem areas.... hmmmmmm). Maybe I should just ask them to loan me one of their extras instead of going through this rigmarole.

By comparison: UK and Italy send me ballots in the mail for every election. Don't need to request anything. Postage paid, even internationally (return to the consulate). Takes 30 seconds and costs nothing.
Thank god in Canada we aren’t in any type of election year. I have no idea how it would be done but likely more simple. Omg that is a bit crazy. I hope you do vote though. When I am caught between parties I still vote. If I don’t vote then I can’t complain lol.

attyfan

My process for voting:

What state is involved? Or, are the problems because you are outside the US? In CA, since vote-by-mail is statewide this year, everyone gets their ballot in the mail (complete with special envelope to return the ballot) ... you vote, get whatever signatures are necessary (depending on whether you are dropping it in the box yourself, having someone else do it, etc) and drop it in the appropriate receptacle (USPS box, official drop box, etc) and that is it.

Lara

It's JJ style!
I received an encrypted pdf by email with the instructions and ballot. Once printed, I filled the ballot (only had two votes, one for President and one for Congress) and a form declaring I was a US citizen residing abroad indefinitely. I needed to produce two envelopes, one being the "secrecy" envelope where I placed my ballot. I then placed the secrecy envelope and the form in the second envelope. The instructions contained a pre-printed address for the Delaware County Board of Elections which I cut and pasted on the second envelope. It probably took 1 hour since I was being careful and double-checking plus the trip to the post office (no free postage either from Canada, plus I wanted to ensure a date stamp). For what's at stake, I'd say that was a minuscule amount of bother and nothing compared to waiting in line for hours.

Lara

It's JJ style!
Just to add - my brother has the right to vote in Illinois by virtue of my father having last lived in the state prior to moving to Canada (yes, you can debate that). And unlike with PA he apparently has to vote for everything - so the ballot is a crazy length requiring a lot of informed research. I do think that shouldn't be the case even for those actually living locally.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I live in the Lehigh Valley.

no one I know and I mean no one, has had multiple ballots mailed to them. In fact, I am still waiting on my Lehigh County ballot.:scream: For the primary, it all came in one little package, and I mailed it back.

everyone I know who has family members who have died or moved has been stricken from the voting rolls. Every. Single. One.

I will match evey anecdote from elsewhere that Pennsylvania is seething with folks who can vote from beyond the grave or multiple times with three anecdotes to the contrary from here in the Commonwealth where it is actually happening.

:summer:

just tuned in

I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I live in the Lehigh Valley.

no one I know and I mean no one, has had multiple ballots mailed to them. In fact, I am still waiting on my Lehigh County ballot.:scream: For the primary, it all came in one little package, and I mailed it back.

everyone I know who has family members who have died or moved has been stricken from the voting rolls. Every. Single. One.

I will match evey anecdote from elsewhere that Pennsylvania is seething with folks who can vote from beyond the grave or multiple times with three anecdotes to the contrary from here in the Commonwealth where it is actually happening.

:summer:
Apologies, @el henry. I live just outside Philly. My deceased dad still gets mail addressed to him to my address. Yesterday we received a postcard noticing that he had not voted in a few years, and inviting him to reregister. That should not have happened. Death records should be synched with voting records. Also, I think that voting registration should be national, not by municipality. Each of my kids could theoretically vote in two counties.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
@just tuned in I agree that a database should be nationalized, but sadly that will not happen in the US of A.

it is true that the counties need to verify before striking a name, and if folks aren’t honest, for me that’s on them, not on the county. Both my parents lived in Delco at the time of their death, (and actually I graduated from HS there but it was “inner ring” so it might as well have been Philly :)) and they are no longer registered to vote. ;)

now I just want my darned ballot :mad:

Polaris

I just remind myself that the people at his rallies are the die-hard faithful and not undecided voters so he's not influencing someone new. He needs more than his base to win.

The question is how big his base is. Are they are the silent majority or the vocal minority?

VGThuy

I bet the "3-4 ways" one can try to vote illegally will end up with that person a submitting a ballot that won't even be counted. I'd like to see photo proof of multiple ballots belonging to the same registered voter being sent. And even if they are, only one of those could be counted anyway. I also agree that this whole thing should be nationalized (and get rid of the EC). It's a cluster otherwise. I mean I'm still a registered voter in Louisiana (a RED STATE!) so the system that is in place now requires those who move (and society is becoming more mobile) to a new state has to actively de-register from their former state's voter registration pools. So it's not the devious work of one party, but rather a problem with the system we have right now.

Last edited:

just tuned in

I bet the "3-4 ways" one can try to vote illegally will end up with that person a submitting a ballot that won't even be counted.
Of course we would never vote illegally, but I am curious as to how Los Angeles County, Calif. would find out that one of their registered voters also voted in Montco, PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information