2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Judy

That's probably all he should do. Why waste money on attorney's fees and costs when you can just set the record straight?

There wouldn’t be any point. The election is around the corner. I can understand him being upset. Trump is desperate.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

rfisher

Let the skating begin
HEK 293 is a very common cell line in research btw (one of the few I could name offhand along with HeLa).
I have my transcultural class read Henrietta Lack's story which is a perfect example of Black exploitation in medicine. Her family is still waiting for compensation.

Vagabond

Because, generally, everyone hears the lie but by the time the truth is told, many will have moved on.
Litigation isn't going to change any of that. The most it can do in this instance is result in a judgment for monetary damages that would most likely not exceed the attorney's fees.

Last edited:

Vagabond

The crowded, competitive space of party-less anti-Trump Republicans is, in some ways, a product of the fact that not having a party means not having any clear leader. Groups with similar missions engage in little coordination or sharing of resources.
The reason why there is no clear leader is that no Republican officeholder or potential presidential candidate with a national profile -- not even Mitt Romney -- is prepared to step up and say Trump must be stopped. Mark Sanford and William Weld don't count.

jeffisjeff

I feel like these anti-Trump Republican groups are just trying to position the party to be able to distance itself from Trump once he is out of office and the history of his presidency is written. We cannot let that happen. Given how elected Republicans have behaved over the past 4 years, history needs to show that Republican = Trump. There is no difference or distance between the two.

Lacey

We received our Ballots in the mail, finally!

My DH and I most definitely wash out each others' votes, but it is still my right and his. It has been horrible for me to communicate about politics for almost four years considering our differing opinions, and obviously again this whole year through the debates and primaries until now. I have tried to keep it all in, but every once in a while I have had to go outside with a friend who will vote like me and who drives 45 minutes to visit me 6' distanced on my deck about once a week, and commiserate with her. Sometimes alone with DH I have yelled at the tv so much he has escaped to another room.

Nevertheless, we have tried to study where in the state of PA to let go of our Ballots.

We have a neighbor who volunteers at the Polls, but I don't want to be accused or have her accused of Ballot fixing by dropping them off to her on Election Day for her to submit our paperwork.

Or now one could choose to vote in person, after all, but might have to sign one's name to a sworn statement that one didn't vote twice or hand in the cancelled Mail In Ballot, if one also chose to vote at the Polling Place instead, so that's too complicated and out.

We have considered the Ballot Box in front of our local Township Building, but it's not guarded (except that the local Police Station is right next door).

So, we are going to trust the US Mail. Our local Post Office is the biggest one around near Philadelphia, and therein they process Passports, so they seem responsible and I trust them. Sign one envelope, put it in the other, no stamp required.

Big decision made: and, after all that, I think today is the postal holiday of Columbus Day, so ironically no mail. Tomorrow I just have to decide whether to mail mine in one of 6 boxes outside for general mail that is picked up every four hours, or whether to hand walk it inside and pass it over to a live person behind the desk--think I might use the ruse of needing to purchase stamps.

At least we won't be standing in line for two hours or so on Election Day. And I and DH will have used our rights.

And it's done, FINITO, I feel relieved, may the best woman win!

Last edited:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I feel like these anti-Trump Republican groups are just trying to position the party to be able to distance itself from Trump once he is out of office and the history of his presidency is written. We cannot let that happen. Given how elected Republicans have behaved over the past 4 years, history needs to show that Republican = Trump. There is no difference or distance between the two.

I don't necessarily think that's true. Original Republican values of less federal government, free trade, states' rights, fiscal responsibility, etc., are in themselves not evil. Trump and his minions and enablers have twisted traditional Republican values into a different and malevolent fish entirely. And they all should be ousted. The anti-Trump Republicans are just that - anti-Trump. It doesn't mean they will ever be moderate or left leaning, and in normal times would never vote for Biden, but I think they hope to rebuild the Republican party once they scour the party of the Trumpists. It may take more than one election cycle, and it may never happen, but I think that's the ultimate goal. There have been many Trump administration whistleblowers who have since left and denounced him, and I think they are honorable people.

caseyedwards

Why? It’s clearly a fact that most DC republicans hated Trump and you can see how most former elected republicans have endorsed Biden and are never trump. The most popular Texas Republicans, the most popular Ohio Republicans, the most popular South Carolina Republicans, the most popular Florida Republicans, The most popular utah Republicans have all endorsed Biden! Now this goes to the thinking that are democrats sincere in their belief that trump is worse than bush or McCain or Romney or is that just PR to be anti trump! I remember the stuff about how Romney was evil racist monster, and how McCain was evil racist monster, and how Reagan was evil racist monster. Is trump difference to democrats? Well he is to republicans who have mostly endorsed Biden. Republicans hate trump. The first Thing Mcconnell and Ryan did was ban Trumps visions for wall. Then they blocked him from making any policy on Russia. Then they banned him from having anything to do with many other subjects- infrastructure and healthcare. If non elected and dc republicans take back control of the party that means more trump at all. And maybe they do back putting him in prison.

I don't necessarily think that's true. Original Republican values of less federal government, free trade, states' rights, fiscal responsibility, etc., are in themselves not evil. Trump and his minions and enablers have twisted traditional Republican values into a different and malevolent fish entirely. And they all should be ousted. The anti-Trump Republicans are just that - anti-Trump. It doesn't mean they will ever be moderate or left leaning, and in normal times would never vote for Biden, but I think they hope to rebuild the Republican party once they scour the party of the Trumpists. It may take more than one election cycle, and it may never happen, but I think that's the ultimate goal. There have been many Trump administration whistleblowers who have since left and denounced him, and I think they are honorable people.
It’s a fact that Ryan and Mcconnell main goal was pathway to citizenship for undocumented. So that’s the first thing any new republican party would do post trump.

jeffisjeff

But those folks, for the most part, aren't currently elected representatives. The people who are electing Republicans to office are electing Trumpists. The vast majority of Republicans currently serving in elected office are Trumpists and have not put any meaningful distance between themselves and Trump. Therefore, "original Republican values" are meaningless at the moment. What does the Republican party represent NOW? What have they stood for over the past 4 years? Those "twisted values" that Trump promotes have been thoroughly embraced by elected Republicans. That is what matters. The fact that there exists a handful of anti-Trump Republicans does nothing to change that.

Sure, all of that can change, and as you say it may take several election cycles, but the Republican party cannot be allowed to say "That wasn't us, that was Trump" once he is out of office. Too late. The Republican party owns Trump, everything he has done to this country, and his legacy. If they didn't want to own all of that, they should have opposed him in a meaningful way, rather than embracing him.

Susan1

New sign report - I wanted to take my books back to the library while they were closed today so I could just run in and put them in the automatic return without running into any people. Of course, there was one other person who was walking from somewhere who did the same thing, but they were gone by the time I parked and walked across the street. Anyway, I left out of the top of the parking lot. And the house across from there had Biden and other democrat signs all across the front. It's a law office now, but it used to be a regular family home. It's up on a hill and long across, probably 14 signs.

On the way to the library, I went past a house where I remember a Biden sign, and now has a Veterans for Biden too. And down our city's main street, where I've seen trump signs and Biden signs, in two blocks, I noticed that all the Biden signs are on one side of the street and the trump signs are on the other - about 3 of each.

Then, remember my yay biden, boo trump, yay biden signs in yards right next to each other, there is another Biden sign next to one of them. I have to say there must be 3-4 times as many Biden signs as there were Hillary signs in Miamisburg. Pretty close to equal to trump signs now. I also saw a "f*ck em both" sign.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
A fake ballot drop box popped up at a church in Los Angeles. https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...in-front-of-baptist-church-in-canyon-country/

Each time I start to feel a little bit of hope and optisim, I read about a new scheme Republicans have come up with and have a little silent freak out that Republicans will manage to cheat their way to another victory. :(
GOP: The Dems are trying to steal the election!!
Also GOP: And here's a fake drop box that says it's official for you to drop off your ballot where it will go who knows where

I have my transcultural class read Henrietta Lack's story which is a perfect example of Black exploitation in medicine. Her family is still waiting for compensation.
Did they at least get some money from the movie that was made about her?

MsZem

The Lincoln Project people are pretty clear that the party in its current form is unsalvageable. That's why they want Republicans defeated at all levels. Tom Nichols is an advisor and wrote this last month:
Of course they want a better Republican party at some point down the line, or a different party committed to actual conservative principles. I wouldn't vote for such a party, but it strikes me as reasonable for others to want such a thing.

caseyedwards

But those folks, for the most part, aren't currently elected representatives. The people who are electing Republicans to office are electing Trumpists. The vast majority of Republicans currently serving in elected office are Trumpists and have not put any meaningful distance between themselves and Trump. Therefore, "original Republican values" are meaningless at the moment. What does the Republican party represent NOW? What have they stood for over the past 4 years? Those "twisted values" that Trump promotes have been thoroughly embraced by elected Republicans. That is what matters. The fact that there exists a handful of anti-Trump Republicans does nothing to change that.

Sure, all of that can change, and as you say it may take several election cycles, but the Republican party cannot be allowed to say "That wasn't us, that was Trump" once he is out of office. Too late. The Republican party owns Trump, everything he has done to this country, and his legacy. If they didn't want to own all of that, they should have opposed him in a meaningful way, rather than embracing him.
You say no distance but that’s not really true. Yes they didn’t vote to remove him from office but they considered that going too far. That’s something for voters to do. They banned his wall. All his cabinet people and court nominees were ones who could have been chosen by Romney Or bush.

They could have rejected all Trumps nominees for everything including kavanaugh but why? Why do that? Kavanaugh was a George bush person.

Well as the republicans are going to lose White House and senate the main republicans starting in 2021 will probably be the ones not in office. The first race will be RNC chair and that could definitely be won by Rick Wilson or Romney or Kasich.
It’s a fact the republican senate voted to undo trumps emergency declaration on taking money to build his wall. The reason why there was an emergency declaration in the first place because Ryan and Mcconnell First banned Trump walls And then didn’t give him even half of what they gave Obama!! Lol lol!!

Republicans are not only electing Trump people. Why did Romney win re-election? Why did Sasse? He wrote 2 anti trump books. How about governor baker? How about governor hogan? With governors baker and hogan the Republican Party could erase trump in one year

caseyedwards

The Lincoln Project people are pretty clear that the party in its current form is unsalvageable. That's why they want Republicans defeated at all levels. Tom Nichols is an advisor and wrote this last month:
Of course they want a better Republican party at some point down the line, or a different party committed to actual conservative principles. I wouldn't vote for such a party, but it strikes me as reasonable for others to want such a thing.
I searchEd this before I read it and Immigration is never mentioned!! the next Republican Party would have to have a position on immigration right?

It’s very likely any party that supports border security will get racists

I think it’s important to note that the County next door to mine voted for Clinton gore kerry Obama Obama and during the Obama years undocumented people took over an abandoned park to live in and it grew so big by 2016 the county voted Trump. That’s a real thing that happened

Last edited:

jeffisjeff

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen that. It certainly sounds good, but again this is just a handful of unelected Republicans. Other than making some effective political ads, how much sway do they actually have? And, forgive me if I am overly cynical, but let's wait and see what these guys actually do when Trump is out of office.

b-man

True but the whole context was about the Republican Party. Which Probably moves To make mitt Romney , John Kasich Jeb bush It’s new leader almost immediately
I doubt Romney could get elected today un Utah, nor Kasich in Ohio, not sure about Jeb.

b-man

Biden at campaign stop

Question: Don't voters deserve to know if you will pack the court?

Biden: No, they don't.

Biden: I run proudly as a Democrat for the United States Senate.

Aussie Willy

All this sh*tshow could have been avoided if the GOP grew some balls and just said we don't want to renominate Trump for President. But because the party is now so tied up in him, to get rid of him would be electoral suicide. They really have cooked their own goose.

Aussie Willy

Biden at campaign stop

I understand he also made comments about the current leader of China, chairman Mao, who died in 1976.
What is ironic for all the BS that Trump has spun before he took office and then all the BS he has carried out since he became President, and all the GOP can seem to drag out and try to diminish any credibility for Biden is to carry on about this topic.

This is nothing compared to what the Orange Leader has done. And if the GOP were not being a bunch of hypocrites with what they did in 2016 regarding SC nominees, again this would not even be an issue. The GOP have kind of brought it on themselves. Now they have to make out that Biden is the big bad boogie man because he hasn't committed to something.

At the end of the day, the GOP is quite happy to stack the court so they can try to implement their conservative and moral agenda that basically interferes with peoples lives with things that should be none of their business.

Last edited:

CaliSteve

Why? It’s clearly a fact that most DC republicans hated Trump and you can see how most former elected republicans have endorsed Biden and are never trump. The most popular Texas Republicans, the most popular Ohio Republicans, the most popular South Carolina Republicans, the most popular Florida Republicans, The most popular utah Republicans have all endorsed Biden! Now this goes to the thinking that are democrats sincere in their belief that trump is worse than bush or McCain or Romney or is that just PR to be anti trump! I remember the stuff about how Romney was evil racist monster, and how McCain was evil racist monster, and how Reagan was evil racist monster. Is trump difference to democrats? Well he is to republicans who have mostly endorsed Biden. Republicans hate trump. The first Thing Mcconnell and Ryan did was ban Trumps visions for wall. Then they blocked him from making any policy on Russia. Then they banned him from having anything to do with many other subjects- infrastructure and healthcare. If non elected and dc republicans take back control of the party that means more trump at all. And maybe they do back putting him in prison.

Who are those "popular" Republicans that endorsed Biden? Are they still in office? I am sure there are many Republicans that hate Trump but they still enable him.

caseyedwards

Who are those "popular" Republicans that endorsed Biden? Are they still in office? I am sure there are many Republicans that hate Trump but they still enable him.
They are going to say they banned his wall, they banned him doing policy on Russia. That voting for a tax cut or conservative Jusge is what they always do. And for the big one: they weren’t going to vote to remove a president in an Election year! That voters could decide
The popular republicans are Kasich Romney 99% bush family, McCain, ridge, baker, hogan. And so it’s a mix of elected and formerly elected
All this sh*tshow could have been avoided if the GOP grew some balls and just said we don't want to renominate Trump for President. But because the party is now so tied up in him, to get rid of him would be electoral suicide. They really have cooked their own goose.
Romney Kasich hogan baker we’re all cowards. They should have got together and decided to run against Trump. But they were scared cowards. Now all these republican states like Arizona and South Carolina And georgia and more are going Biden and Democratic for senate

But they all agreed. Better to let voters destroy trump in a general election

ballettmaus

Biden at campaign stop

Voters deserve to know who is visiting Trump at the White house, voters deserve to know who Trump owes $400 million to, voters deserve to know what he and Putin talked about in Helsinki, voters deserve to know what the exact state of his health is, voters deserve to see his tax returns. (And that's just from the top of my head). Get back to me when we've got answers (same goes for the journalist).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information