2020 U.S. Presidential Election

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There was talk within the last two weeks that some Russian operatives brought in to tangle with our last presidential election are still here.

I have mail in ballot on order but not here yet. If my vote is counted more securely by in person voting, then that is what I will do.

hope it’s not a dumb question to ask if there is a receipt or acknowledgement that mail in or drop box vote was received?
WV does. You can check online or call your county courthouse. If the ballot was not there by election day, you could vote in person

SkateSand

Cat Servant
So, there’s a difference between mail in voting and drop box voting, but with the same end result?

sorry for the questions our vote ahead ballots arrived less than 24 hours before primary, so we hand carried them to voting place

Here in California, it is very easy to vote by mail and I've been doing so for years. This year due to C V, they are automatically mailing ballots to every registered voter regardless if you voted by mail or in person. The way I normally vote, and I'm making no changes, is I complete the ballot and drop it off in the closest drop box (which happens to be at my nearest grocery store) well before election day. I trust the mail here, but I trust the drop box even more. Once I've dropped the ballot in that box, I know it will be received and counted.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
All voters in D.C. are also being mailed ballots. Its been reported we should have them by early October. I'll complete mine as soon as I get it and take it to the drop box at my branch library.

maureenfarone

Third party vote or choosing not to vote is being self righteous and gives the person who does this the feeling that they can't be blamed for the current political situation.

I've heard self righteous people saying there was not anyone they could vote for, they wrote in Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck since I began to understand the political process probably around 10.

Like it or not, in the US you have two choices. Any 3rd party vote or non vote is a vote for the winner.

Quit the damn pretending. JUST QUIT PRETENDING
I have a friend who has been writing names in for I don't know how many Presidential elections. I asked the friend if they were looking for a unicorn - someone who is perfect. The answer was no but he would never vote for a politician. In my opinion the people running are almost certainly politicians. My conclusion is that my friend does this so they never have to be blamed for any situation since they didn't vote for either candidate. I find that very sad.

once_upon

I could actually go through my US Facebook friends right now and tell you who they are voting for.
There might be 6-10 I might not be able to say. That's 6-10 of 215 or so US friends.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I've heard more than once that NBA players and owners are talking about finding a way to open up voting centers in arenas. I like the idea.

In D.C. we will have the basketball/hockey arena and the Nationals baseball stadium used as voting centers. I think this will be for both early in-person voting and election day in-person voting. This will enable people to vote in person with plenty of room for social distancing.

caseyedwards

This is what Trump has done to America:
U.S. political divide becomes increasingly violent, rattling activists and police

A vote for Biden is a vote to restore civility and democratic political processes in which people can advance the issues most important to them without fear of violence.

A vote for Trump or a third party is tantamount to declaring war on your fellow citizens.
Lol. The left is attacking people in restaurants and on the street not the right. It’s scary how many on the left can’t accept disagreement anymore. I have been wondering about this a while. Most liberals now believe they don’t believe in an ideology but have the only legitimate viewpoint. And people who disagree with them are pure evil. They don’t Even have Opinions they just have facts and reality! So they need to cancel all conservatives and all those who disagree. It’s very scary and illiberal. It’s the roots of dictatorship. The right still believe they have opinions and are part of an ideological movement and belief in debate and opinion! The left does not. All conservatives need to be completely destroyed. Which is what Twitter is about. I never had Interest in knowing the address of a politician so I can go to their house and harass their whole family. So I am left Out of American liberalism now! Does Biden oppose this? I need to find his comments on rand paul being assaulted

Last edited:

skatemomaz

Resist
In Arizona we have had vote by mail for years, you can be placed on the permanent early voting list and a ballot is automatically mailed to you. You can also request a mail in ballot on a one time basis. Multiple drop boxes are available, including drop boxes at every polling place.

Early voting in person runs October 7-30.

In all instances you can track the status of your ballot online, including when it was received and when it was verified.

Cachoo

In D.C. we will have the basketball/hockey arena and the Nationals baseball stadium used as voting centers. I think this will be for both early in-person voting and election day in-person voting. This will enable people to vote in person with plenty of room for social distancing.

I heard a sports radio personality talking today about the "boycotters" who said they were no longer watching the NBA and now watch baseball or hockey (and then they cancelled :biggrinbo.)

Susan1

Well you go to the drop box yourself and place the ballot in it. The Board of Elections collects them from the drop box. So you are bypassing the postal service if you do it that way. If it is convenient for you to use a drop box then that's probably your best option.

It also lessens the number of ballots the postal service has to deal with so probably helps everyone.

My sister just used a drop box for her primary in RI. She received her ballot in the mail, filled it out and then dropped it at a drop box at City Hall. This seemed like a really good alternative.

But for those who don't have the option of a drop box, I don't think they should feel their only option is voting in person. If you can mail back your ballot in a timely fashion, there should not be a problem.
Ohio only has one drop box in each county - in front of the Board of Elections, so either everybody crowds in there to vote early, or fills up the street to use the drop box (one way streets in downtown Dayton in Montgomery county). I am going to go with the mail-in absentee ballot. It worked for the primary. I will take my request for an absentee ballot inside to the post office the day I get the application (or Monday if it comes on a Saturday). And do the same once the absentee ballot gets here. You can track them on their website.

becca

Well @becca has a long history of that given her support of the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church over the victims of sexual abuse. I guess voting for Trump is in keeping with that.....

huh where did I support heiarchy over victims of abuse I want anyone involved in the cover up going to jail.

As for Trump racist every Republican is called a racist no matter what they do.

Trump inacted meaningful criminal justice reform in this country. Meaningful. The Democrats wouldn’t even debate police reform. Cannot let the Republican White House take credit.

Furthemore as Senator Tim Scott said all of the places where the riots are the worst with the worse aspects of race relations are controlled by Democrats. Looking at those inner cities the local governments have always had the power to get rid of chockholds all of it.

As for racist I think it’s kind of racist to say your only black if you vote Biden like Biden said. But one side is always given a pass.

Last edited:

MsZem

once_upon

I can believe there are Republicans who are not racist, at least no more than many Democrats. I truly believe we all have some level of racist thoughts - unconsciously.

However, if you support Trump you are OK with racism and racists and racist policies. To me that is not acceptable.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
As far as I'm concerned its not about labeling individuals. Its clear that Trump's agenda is white nationalism. Its clear that he seeks to maintain white dominance of US society. His appeals to the "suburban housewives" about keeping "their" neighborhoods safe from being overrun by those people protesting are clear as can be.

Trump has not addressed the problems faced by Blacks in encounters with police; he has given support repeatedly to white nationalist and white supremacist expressions.

If someone looks in their heart and mind and is sure they are not racist personally yet votes for Donald Trump, well I don't care about their personal beliefs at that point, they are voting for a racist agenda; what matter is it how you label the individual?

PRlady

All voters in D.C. are also being mailed ballots. Its been reported we should have them by early October. I'll complete mine as soon as I get it and take it to the drop box at my branch library.

Yes, I've located mine (a few blocks away) and that's the plan. Not that our vote matters in the presidential election but there are local choices.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
You're completely right, psychologically if he loses the popular vote by many millions it will really legitimate what will probably be a closer electoral college result.
^^This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

becca

No I am not voting for a racist agenda. I am honestly really tired of this. No matter who I vote for I am going to have things I deeply disagree with.

Toshi_Berra

No I am not voting for a racist agenda. I am honestly really tired of this. No matter who I vote for I am going to have things I deeply disagree with.

Amazing huh? I used to think I was a liberal but the ideology has morphed into something so grotesque in the last 10-15 years, its totally unrecognizable to me. These people are pure garbage. They shamelessly stand on top of social justice issues as a pretense to gain power--they have no intention of curing the problem.

MsZem

As I was saying earlier today (well, as Scalzi said it for me in 2016):

caseyedwards

Amazing huh? I used to think I was a liberal but the ideology has morphed into something so grotesque in the last 10-15 years, its totally unrecognizable to me. These people are pure garbage. They shamelessly stand on top of social justice issues as a pretense to gain power--they have no intention of curing the problem.
I oppose looting and arson. I do not think it’s justified. On one hand I hope and hope Biden will be old Biden and be normal democrat normal liberal but he must please the growing twitter leftist wing that denies or supports looting and arson and cancel culture.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
huh where did I support heiarchy over victims of abuse I want anyone involved in the cover up going to jail.

As for Trump racist every Republican is called a racist no matter what they do.

Trump inacted meaningful criminal justice reform in this country. Meaningful. The Democrats wouldn’t even debate police reform. Cannot let the Republican White House take credit.

Furthemore as Senator Tim Scott said all of the places where the riots are the worst with the worse aspects of race relations are controlled by Democrats. Looking at those inner cities the local governments have always had the power to get rid of chockholds all of it.

As for racist I think it’s kind of racist to say your only black if you vote Biden like Biden said. But one side is always given a pass.

At least we have it now in writing that you support white nationalism so you can’t deny it later. :)

Toshi_Berra

At least we have it now in writing that you support white nationalism so you can’t deny it later. :)

:rofl: When ignorant, indoctrinated Europeans claim expertise at American politics. :rofl:

Meanwhile @allezfred thinks its totally fine and "not racist" that the Democratic party has LONG abandoned every single black majority district it runs. Poverty, gang-warfare, and domestic violence run rampant but of course he won't bother protesting or even acknowledging it as an issue. Typical white liberal! Caring about minorities but ONLY when enriches him and boosts his BS narratives.

In 2017, St. Louis had the nation’s highest murder rate, at 66.1 homicides per 100,000 residents. Baltimore came in second, with 55.8 murders per 100,000 people. Detroit was third, with 39.8 murders per 100,000 people. Other cities with high murder rates included New Orleans; Kansas City, Missouri; Cleveland; Memphis, Tennessee; and Newark, New Jersey. With 24.1 murders per 100,000 residents, Chicago ranked ninth in the nation. It was followed by Cincinnati and Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., was 17th.

Now here’s the kicker. Of the 20 most dangerous major cities, all but one had a Democratic mayor. In many of these cities, the Democratic Party has ruled for a half-century or more. Only Tulsa, Oklahoma, with 17.3 murders per 100,000 residents, had a Republican mayor.

[/quote

Spikefan

Everyone’s vote counts. Say Biden squeaks by with a narrow electoral win but has 4 million plus in the popular vote, it will be much harder for someone to argue it was rigged (they still will but we can point to that number). I hope for a landslide in both the EC and popular but of course fear another 2016 outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information