2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Cachoo

OUCH!

ErikWilliam

I can’t believe how much has changed in the last 6 months or so. Trump had money coming out of his ass. Biden miraculously won the SC primary after losing all of the previous ones. He was literally on his last legs. Now Biden has money and is continually raising more. Trump’s coffers are empty and he’s back to his old tricks, promising to spend his own money. That’s a lie, but we’ll roll with it. But as @olympic points out, the circumstances between then and now have changed a lot.
It's amazing how much has changed in six months. I joined the Bloomberg campaign for that hot second he threw his hat in the ring to light a fire under Biden, otherwise Bernie was going to run away with the nomination. That would have been a disaster. Thank goodness everything worked itself out. Also, does anyone really think that Trump's campaign has already spent $800M and that he's not just embezzling it like his 2016 campaign?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Trump just repeated his ugliest claim about the election. Why isn’t it bigger news?

This is a column from leftwing analyst Greg Sargent in the Washington Post. Now we all have heard Trump repeatedly suggest the election will be "rigged" and various other things that if believed would undermine confidence in the election by anyone who believed them. Sargent says this matters. My question is to folks who hear from Trump supporters, like @PrincessLeppard How do you think Trump supporters are taking these statements from Trump where he says he can only lose if the election is rigged? Do they dismiss it as just so much Trump bluster to rile the libs, haha? Or do they take it seriously? How will they respond if he does lose and, even if he leaves office, continues to say the election was rigged, there was fraud, it was unfair etc etc which he almost certainly will say over and over because his ego isn't going to be able to take losing.

If Trump loses and Biden does take office, are Trump supporters going to fundamentally believe our democratic system is illegitimate?

Appearing on “Fox & Friends” on Tuesday morning, President Trump again told his supporters to believe that if the election doesn’t deliver the result they want, the outcome is inherently illegitimate — that there are no democratically legitimate circumstances under which he and his supporters can lose in a fair election.

...On “Fox & Friends,” Trump defended his indoor rally in Nevada by blaming Gov. Steve Sisolak (D) for nixing numerous outdoor sites. Trump then claimed that “this is the same guy that’s gonna be in charge of the ballots.”
“I’m winning that state easily but the one thing we can’t beat, if they cheat on the ballots,” Trump then said. “Now he will cheat on the ballots, I have no doubt about it.”
Trump is actually trailing in Nevada by more than five points in the polling averages. He could ultimately win the state, but there is no way that will happen “easily.”

What’s relevant here is the declaration that he can’t lose unless Democrats rig the balloting. This is the third time we’ve heard this: At the Nevada rally, Trump railed that Democrats are rigging the election, “because it’s the only way they’re gonna win.”
I'm thinking about the usual response which is "look at what Democrats are saying!" Even though Democrats are warning about possible problems with the election, I have not seen anything comparable voiced by Democratic officials or leaders. They aren't claiming that if they don't win the election was fraudulent, only that there are problems that could undermine the election.

MsZem

Has this been posted yet? I'm shocked that one of the conservative judges on the Wisconsin Supreme Court sided with the liberals:

once_upon

Voter
I think the only way I'm going to survive the next 50 or so days is if I sleep through to the day my ballot arrives, I vote, fall asleep until the election results are known.

If we are going to have to endure another four years of Trump, I might just have to comatose or something.

Every year elections are stressful, this year even more so because democracy is at risk.

yurokis40

God bless President Trump for securing peace between Israel the Uae and Bahrain, 4 more years and the circle of peace will be completed 5 or 6 other arab countries are in line to sign with Israel Iran is finished.
4 more years on November 4th , the Dems will delay the concession speech for a day.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Groundbreaking Study Shows 'Deep Listening' Over 100 Times More Effective in Winning Undecided Voters Away From Trump (Common Dreams)

Interesting article about the organization People's Action approach to canvassing in rural areas. It makes sense that a respectful conversational approach might be effective. "This is evidence that engaging people in a meaningful conversation is much more effective than throwing facts, arguments, or messages at them," the article quotes the director of the organization as saying.

We certainly have all seen how all the facts and logical arguments in the world can fail to persuade people who are resistant. I'm not sure how this alternative actually works, but its certainly interesting.

A first-of-its-kind study of the project, which included 700 interactions, showed that "deep canvassing"—the practice of having non-judgmental, in-depth conversations with voters about their experiences and struggles—was 102 times more effective than brief interactions during a typical door-knocking or phone-banking campaign.

"These results are transformative, and tell us a different story about rural America. For so long, people in rural and small-towns have been neglected and cast out because no one took the time to listen to them," Goehl said in a statement Tuesday. "But we did, and we've found that compassion and empathy, rather than division and hatred, can lead us to a multiracial democracy that works for all of us."

Partnering with the New Conversation Initiative and two researchers, Joshua Kalla and David Broockman, People's Action found that for every 100 conversations between volunteers and voters, 3.1 voters were added to Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden's vote margin. Biden's support among independent voters who took part in the project grew by five points, and independent women's support grew by 8.5 points.

pollyanna

I think the only way I'm going to survive the next 50 or so days is if I sleep through to the day my ballot arrives, I vote, fall asleep until the election results are known.

If we are going to have to endure another four years of Trump, I might just have to comatose or something.

Every year elections are stressful, this year even more so because democracy is at risk.
I am finding that I agree with pretty much everything you post. I really fear Trump is going eek out an electoral win, and dismantle our democracy even further than he already has. And McConnell and company are letting him!

caseyedwards

Mcconnell isn’t letting trump do anything any republican president wouldn’t do. Mcconnell ignored trumps orders to abolish filibuster. Mcconnell banned trump designs for wall.

yurokis40

There are no signs that Biden has a chance he is a much weaker candidate than Hilary, He is gonna fare worse than Kerry in 2004, no way he wins 252 electoral votes.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I think it's more that they sound deranged. There are no signs that Biden has a chance? Right. None at all.

No polls that show him ahead of Trump by more than Hillary was at this point, no entire organizations made up of former GOP members that have one goal in mind - to defeat js opponent, no billionaires spending a hundred million dollars in one of the swing states to get him elected.

Nope. None of that is happening. Not at all.

;)

Peaches LaTour

Absentee and early voting where I live begins Oct 6. We know so many people who plan to vote early, whatever happens in the last two debates won't make any difference to a lot of them, and I expect that will be the scenario in many other states as well.
Oddly enough, we received a notice in the mail about requesting your mail in ballot, early.

We have always voted by mail in this state & never received any notification like this before. We went over to local elections office to ask questions but they were closed due to poor air quality. We are in Oregon.

once_upon

Voter
Oddly enough, we received a notice in the mail about requesting your mail in ballot, early.

We have always voted by mail in this state & never received any notification like this before. We went over to local elections office to ask questions but they were closed due to poor air quality. We are in Oregon.
I think there is some organization and I'm not sure who/what that has been sending them out. Dad has gotten 3 or 4, confuses him because he did the official request a month ago.

We've gotten two. I know we sent our offical one in about a month ago.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
The Green New Deal! No private motorized vehicles and no more eating meat!
People won't be able to eat meat because their mouths will be covered by mandatory masks. And the Antifa that Biden and Harris are going to relocate into every neighbourhood will rat out anyone who takes their mask off even for a second 🤪

Dobre

I think everyone got one. I read on facebook that they are incorrect for Oregon and other states as well. I don't know why we would need to request a ballot if we are registered to vote. Everyone registered in Oregon is going to get their ballot via the mail. Though anyone who is NOT registered or 100% sure they are registered should certainly double check. And sadly there are now a lot of displaced people who need to make certain their mail is going to reach them.

attyfan

People won't be able to eat meat because their mouths will be covered by mandatory masks. And the Antifa that Biden and Harris are going to relocate into every neighbourhood will rat out anyone who takes their mask off even for a second 🤪
Be careful! I'm sure that there are people who will take this seriously.

ballettmaus

Not the ones who say Biden has it.
I was only talking about those who say Trump has it. :)

Biden, however, favors paying farmers to adopt climate-friendly practices. (Until she joined Team Biden, Harris, by contrast, favored urging Americans to eat less meat, which sounds nice but might not achieve the same results as quickly.)
No reason both can't be happening.

caseyedwards

All the world has to agree to ban combustion engines. That’s not something just the United States can do and end climate change. The total elimination of combustion engines, coal mining and fracking can’t just be done by US but the whole world in the next 10 years

“internal combustion engine is a heat engine in which the combustion of a fuel occurs with an oxidizer in a combustion chamber that is an integral part of the working fluid flow circuit”

lit is vital for the environment for the Chinese communist party to be overthrown or be forced to ban its combustion engines fracking and coal mining

CDANN1013

I know you made a joke but in my area of PA there is a Facebook group that announces each businesses enforce the mask rule. I live in South Central PA

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I know you made a joke but in my area of PA there is a Facebook group that announces each businesses enforce the mask rule. I live in South Central PA
Businesses have the right to require everyone to wear a mask on their premises, if they choose to do that. That's different from government ordering everyone to wear a mask.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information