2020 U.S. Presidential Election

VGThuy

Corporate money can stay out of politics for all I care. But the fact they’ve stop donating to both even though one sides been fanning the flames and trying to stop democracy in action says everything you need to know about these corporations and their integrity. Anyway, I hope they stay out of politics forever. (Haha; like that’s going to happen).

manhn

I believe most corporations, especially the large one, donate to all parties to maximize favours and tax breaks. I mean, if there are corporations that are mainly or only GOP donors, please let me know.

manhn

Sheldon Adelson's companies too. IIRC Steve Wynn was also a big Trump/GOP donor.

I mentioned this before, if someone can provide a list of “acceptable” hotels to stay at for the next 15 Skate America’s in Vegas, that would be great. Is even Orleans okay?

MacMadame

Staying at home
How many is legally needed from the senate? It also can’t happen until the Senate returns and Biden is president right?
2/3 of whoever is present. If everyone is present, that's 67. And they can do whatever they want. They aren't set to come back to DC until the 19th but they can come back earlier if they want to.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Good and I hope it stays that way - all that corporate money is corrupting, even on the "good"side.
ITA

BTW, some companies have never donated to politicians. I was surprised to hear IBM still does not donate, despite it having been a long time since T.J. Watson Sr. (and his quirky, personal rules) was at IBM. I mean the alcohol ban has been gone 40 years. And the trifold wallet rule and other crazy dress code stuff has been gone 50 years.

2/3 of whoever is present. If everyone is present, that's 67. And they can do whatever they want. They aren't set to come back to DC until the 19th but they can come back earlier if they want to.

There is a 2004 Senate rule that if both the majority and minority leaders agree it is a emergency, the Senate can call everyone back. Schumer has said he wants to do it. So if McConnell wants it, it will happen. Not that that is much different.

Last edited:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
MAGATs have it backwards - if the facts do not support what they believe to be true, then the facts must be wrong.
This is true.
I think it was Eric Swalwell last night who said companies were suspending donations to the Democrats too. And "what did we do". No kidding. It kind of takes the sting out of not donating to the bad guys if you stop donating to the good guys too
My response to Swalwell, and I like the guy, is then let’s get corporate donations out of politics completely. Get rid of Citizen’s United. Public funding of elections.

Vagabond

I don't think that Andres' argument that there should be a Cabinet Department for food separate from the Department of Agriculture is particularly persuasive. I think it would be better to give the concerns he raises greater attention within the existing Department.

Susan1

Just watched this video on CNN

12-1/2 minutes (language warning) -

" “I think [Ted] Cruz would want us to do this, so I think we’re good,” one of the Trump supporters who broke into the Capitol said, as he rifled through the Senator’s desk. Watch footage recorded by Luke Mogelson as he reported on the insurrection. "

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

Just watched this video on CNN

12-1/2 minutes (language warning) -

" “I think [Ted] Cruz would want us to do this, so I think we’re good,” one of the Trump supporters who broke into the Capitol said, as he rifled through the Senator’s desk. Watch footage recorded by Luke Mogelson as he reported on the insurrection. "
I saw this footage, and it strongly reminded me of the storming of the US Embassy in Tehran in 1979. If the guy with the zip ties had his way, it could have been an even closer parallel. I bet the criminals who stormed the Capitol and their right wing media enablers would be shocked that anyone would compare them to Islamist terrorists, but if the shoe fits...

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
I saw this footage, and it strongly reminded me of the storming of the US Embassy in Tehran in 1979. If the guy with the zip ties had his way, it could have been an even closer parallel. I bet the criminals who stormed the Capitol and their right wing media enablers would be shocked that anyone would compare them to Islamist terrorists, but if the shoe fits...
They should have shot more of them........

Amy L

The heroes of this shit show were people like officer Goodman and the staffers who evacuated with the votes. The country is continually saved by people of color and the youth. The ones who are always looked over are the ones who have to constantly prove themselves only to be forgotten about again.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
The heroes of this shit show were people like officer Goodman and the staffers who evacuated with the votes. The country is continually saved by people of color and the youth. The ones who are always looked over are the ones who have to constantly prove themselves only to be forgotten about again.
And include all the first responders who are on the front line of the continuing 2020 Shitshow. A majority are young, and large proportion of them are of color...

I am forever in their debt.....

alilou

Ubercavorter
In 15 years on FSU I have never once been into Politically Incorrect. Until November 3rd.
This election was so important, not just for the US but for the world.

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who participated in three threads that I've been following: The Dangers of a Trump presidency, The End of the Trump Presidency, and of course the 2020 Presidential Election. I have learned so much, and have followed links to sources I would never otherwise have found. (Mr alilou is very impressed - he learned a lot about the breadth and intelligence of the FSU community.)

I would like to mention @Susan1 for her PBP in the election thread, and @Meoima for posting links to just about everything s/he could find, also @rfisher, @Dobre, and @MacMadame. And everyone else who participated! Thank you FSU!

FSU rules! :cheer2:

(PS I'm putting this same post in all three threads)

MsZem

Well, it's been an interesting time, and it was good to have had this thread to discuss it!

In conclusion, I would like to thank Stacey Abrams, the Fox News Decision Desk for calling Arizona, and the NYT needle for redeeming itself and flipping Georgia to blue late on election night. Long may it stay there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information