2020 U.S. Presidential Election

olympic

ALL POSTS
Your posts reveal that you know little about the dynamic of this race in 2020. There is no comparison with 1980 or 2016. I mean if you cannot see the difference between U.S. politics in 1980 and now, you have been under a rock for quite a long time; debates have meant little for about a generation

VGThuy

There's a popular trend among the right where they love to compare Trump to elections of the past. When it looked like Bernie was getting the Dem ticket, they kept comparing it to Nixon 1972. Now that Biden's the nominee, they're looking for Reagan 1980. The comparisons are always a bit iffy and they ignore real differences between the situations. Plus, it's not as if Trump won by a landslide the first time around, and it's pretty clear he's been narrowing his focus because his popularity or approval never surged post-election. In fact, it decreased. Who knows though. Maybe there is a silent majority out there who will help Trump win with 60% of the vote. However, what I think will happen is that if Trump pulls off a win, it won't be with 60% of the vote. In fact, I predict he'll lose the popular vote again.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The only relevant comparisons would be with incumbent presidents.

Reagan was running against an unpopular incumbent, so if one used 1980 for comparison, Trump would be Jimmy Carter.

I suppose you could go back to 1948 when Truman was an unpopular incumbent and won the election; I don't see much point in comparing Trump with Truman however.

MacMadame

Staying at home
She's going to be really sorry at some point when she looks back at her wedding pictures. Even if she continues to love Trump until she dies, she'll be sorry.

Now if she'd picked red, white, and blue for her wedding colors and had flags in the centerpieces, or even Trump signs in the centerpieces, maybe not. But seeing that scrawled on your dress after the world moves on is the poofy-sleeves of 2020.

ballettmaus

I doubt that most of the people who claim Joe has dementia or even Trump has dementia have really had life experience with close relatives who have dementia. Although Trump's rambling reminds me of my moms rambling conversations.
Most, if not all, of the dementia comments that I see are coming from people who say they have/had relatives with dementia or work in the medical field with dementia patients.

Trump's father also had alzheimer's, so it would not be unusual for Trump to have either alzheimer's or dementia as well.

But I think Trump is not very smart and has rambled all his adult life.
I think he sounds more coherent in ealier interviews. Even four years ago, he still sounded more coherent. But considering that basically everything he accuses his opponents of he is doing himself (I can so easily see him thinking that he's clever doing that) I do believe he is taking some kind of drugs, so that might account for his incoherence as well.

Susan1

Woo-hoo - a phone poll. And it had to have been by the GOP! It wasn't state-related at all. Just general. They had to go through the press 1 for this.........clear to press 6 for this on some things. Strongly agree, somewhat agree, etc. One of the questions was if I thought it was irresponsible for the Democrats to want to defund the police. There wasn't a choice for "that's a lie", so I had to say "strongly disagree" My age range was between 54-64. That was nice. I didn't have to be between 60 and 70, which sounds so much older when you are at the bottom of the range. ha ha They said it was the Analytics something. Will that make it on CNN? Never mind, the only trump question they asked was if I thought he was doing a good job. Another one of those "strongly disagree" answers. I wish I would get one asking how I thought he was doing on various things, so I could be in the percent of Ohioans in the negative percentage.

Oh, coming back from Walmart for the first time since campaign signs went up, I come from a different way and saw another Biden sign. And several trump signs all bunched right around my ex-best friend's house. The Biden sign was down at the bottom of the hill in a better area. :)

MacMadame

Staying at home
Most, if not all, of the dementia comments that I see are coming from people who say they have/had relatives with dementia or work in the medical field with dementia patients.
Not the ones who say Biden has it. They are just mouthing what they read. They also say he's hiding in his basement any time they don't see him on TV several times a day. They said he was hiding in his basement the day he went to two 9/11 ceremonies in different states. Two. But yeah, he's hiding in his basement with dementia not telling us his policies. :rolleyes:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I saw a Trump bumper sticker on my walk. It said Trump 2020 if you want your gun, truck and cow. As it was on a truck bumper, I got that. I suspect the truck owner has a gun. But, there wasn't a cow within 20 miles. How do they figure Biden is going to do away with trucks or cows?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I saw a Trump bumper sticker on my walk. It said Trump 2020 if you want your gun, truck and cow. As it was on a truck bumper, I got that. I suspect the truck owner has a gun. But, there wasn't a cow within 20 miles. How do they figure Biden is going to do away with trucks or cows?
The Green New Deal! No private motorized vehicles and no more eating meat!

Susan1

Woo-hoo - a phone poll. And it had to have been by the GOP! It wasn't state-related at all. Just general. They had to go through the press 1 for this.........clear to press 6 for this on some things. Strongly agree, somewhat agree, etc. One of the questions was if I thought it was irresponsible for the Democrats to want to defund the police. There wasn't a choice for "that's a lie", so I had to say "strongly disagree" My age range was between 54-64. That was nice. I didn't have to be between 60 and 70, which sounds so much older when you are at the bottom of the range. ha ha They said it was the Analytics something. Will that make it on CNN? Never mind, the only trump question they asked was if I thought he was doing a good job. Another one of those "strongly disagree" answers. I wish I would get one asking how I thought he was doing on various things, so I could be in the percent of Ohioans in the negative percentage.

Oh, coming back from Walmart for the first time since campaign signs went up, I come from a different way and saw another Biden sign. And several trump signs all bunched right around my ex-best friend's house. The Biden sign was down at the bottom of the hill in a better area. :)
The robocall list said it is TPC research, but it shows up as unknown on the caller ID. If you get a call from 740-299-8042, answer it! It's only about 2 minutes long. The complaints are all Ohio callers though (in 2018?).

clairecloutier

It's so stupid. But I believe they honestly think that Biden or the Dems would impose some kind of limit on eating meat in order to help the environment. Hence, the cows thing. And they think trucks might get legislated out of existence for the same reason. :rolleyes:

Vagabond

It's so stupid. But I believe they honestly think that Biden or the Dems would impose some kind of limit on eating meat in order to help the environment. Hence, the cows thing.
www.politico.com/2020-election/candidates-views-on-the-issues/agriculture/farming-and-climate-change/
www.rawstory.com/2019/03/trump-budget-proposes-subsidy-cuts-farmers-grapple-crisis/www.cnbc.com/2019/08/02/trump-trade-announcement-on-eu.html
www.cnbc.com/2019/08/02/trump-trade-announcement-on-eu.html

The U.S. Government does subsidize beef and dairy production. Overall, agriculture was responsible for nine percent of U.S. greenhouse emissions in 2017. One of the main arguments advanced for eliminating them or scaling them back is the harm that cattle cause to the environment. So one can see where Trump voters got their ideas.

Biden, however, favors paying farmers to adopt climate-friendly practices. (Until she joined Team Biden, Harris, by contrast, favored urging Americans to eat less meat, which sounds nice but might not achieve the same results as quickly.)

Trump has been inconsistent on this issue, proposing cuts to agricultural subsidies while also signing a trade agreement with the E.U. that was intended to boost American exports of beef.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It's so stupid. But I believe they honestly think that Biden or the Dems would impose some kind of limit on eating meat in order to help the environment. Hence, the cows thing. And they think trucks might get legislated out of existence for the same reason. :rolleyes:
In a way this gets to the heart of Trumpism, I think. That if we elect Democrats things will change. Our way of life will be taken away from us!

I think Rush Limbaugh perfected playing on this to the point of people being angry that they couldn't have detergent with phosphates.

Of course the truth of life is that change is constant. If we don't take actions to address climate change, things will still change just in a different way but the political voices of the reactionary forces pretend otherwise.

once_upon

Voter
I think Rush Limbaugh perfected playing on this to the point of people being angry that they couldn't have detergent with phosphates.
And to think at the beginning of the ********* and people hoarding I really didnt care if my detergent had phosphate or not. I just wanted detergent.

I stupidly responded to a news story that trump wanted a 4 (FOUR!) debate with Biden that after listening to Trump's two hour ramblings about C-19 press releases I couldn't imagine 4 hours of Trump ramblings. The nicest thing said to me was to go back to my crayons and coloring books. :rolleyes:

With Stone encouraging Trump to institute militia law if he loses, this is getting real scary. And again today he said 2024 was possible because his first four years were stolen.

caseyedwards

You need to watch yourself. This comment is extremely insensitive. My father has dementia. You obviously know nothing about the illness or what families go through when dealing with it. Or why families don't recognise the signs or don't act sooner. I would apologise right now to those of us on this board who are dealing with relatives with dementia.
I know all about it. I saw it first hand as well. Everyone should have acted much sooner but they didn’t go get the person in a home for dementia patients and no one did. It’s a very difficult subject. Whether it’s dementia or mental illness. There is a paralysis. And it damages everyone. You do see it with trump definitely and cabinet officials are constitutionally required to act but haven’t.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I know all about it. I saw it first hand as well. Everyone should have acted much sooner but they didn’t go get the person in a home for dementia patients and no one did. It’s a very difficult subject. Whether it’s dementia or mental illness. There is a paralysis. And it damages everyone. You do see it with trump definitely and cabinet officials are constitutionally required to act but haven’t.
So if you know about it you should be more sensitive about what you say then.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Absentee and early voting where I live begins Oct 6. We know so many people who plan to vote early, whatever happens in the last two debates won't make any difference to a lot of them, and I expect that will be the scenario in many other states as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 22, Guests: 14)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information