2020 U.S. Presidential Election

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Depends on what state you're in, obviously :)

Using the electoral college as an excuse not to cast a vote to remove Trump is utter cowardice. The actual vote does matter even if it does not determine who will be president.

It will make zero difference in terms of the electoral college if I actually cast a vote or not in the District of Columbia because DC's three electoral votes are all but guaranteed to go to Biden. So I could sit home. I happen to regard my vote as my voice and I'm going to cast it loudly and clearly, even if it isn't going to determine who becomes president.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This is what Trump has done to America:
U.S. political divide becomes increasingly violent, rattling activists and police

In a spate of exchanges that have spanned from Kalamazoo, Mich., and Bloomington, Ind., to Chicago and Portland, Ore., people on both sides of the United States’ political and cultural divide have been filmed exchanging punches, beating one another with sticks and flagpoles, or standing face-to-face with weapons, often with police appearing to be little more than observers.

A vote for Biden is a vote to restore civility and democratic political processes in which people can advance the issues most important to them without fear of violence.

A vote for Trump or a third party is tantamount to declaring war on your fellow citizens.

MsZem

It will make zero difference in terms of the electoral college if I actually cast a vote or not in the District of Columbia because DC's three electoral votes are all but guaranteed to go to Biden. So I could sit home. I happen to regard my vote as my voice and I'm going to cast it loudly and clearly, even if it isn't going to determine who becomes president.
Are there any meaningful down ballot races that you're voting on this time?

once_upon

I only recently made a decision. I was facilitating but the Left has given me no choice.

At least you're no longer pretending.

You don't care for 333 million Americans or the families of the 180,000 people who died of c-19. Or supporting the women who desperately need help or even those fetuses you claim to care about.

But at least you are no longer pretending. I give you that

Cachoo

Blue Ridge I know a lot of Trump voters some who are minorities. There issue isn’t America’s changing color.

A lot of people were angry about Floyd and agree changed must be made.

They want order in the streets. They want to be able to walk in their neighborhoods. Reality to isn’t that it’s not the suburbs that are being hit it’s minority communities. Talks like defund the police are doing nothing.

Eventually order is going to have to happen and the looting and destruction isn’t helping anything

Middle America wants the economy strong their 401ks strong and the streets safe and they will vote for the people who get them that.

Trump isn’t frankly crafting a bad like by pointing out that he supports criminal justice reform while quiet on the streets

And sitting there analyzing people and making assumptions and telling them they are racist does nothing to help. Racism is an issue in this country but amazes me that people think Trumps greatest appeal is racism.

The focus, unfortunately, ends up being the relative few who resort to violence. There were BLM protests in over 550 towns, small cites and large cities across the US and even more worldwide. The VAST majority were peaceful demonstrations. The Trump administration will direct you to the people who resort to looting and burning in several demonstrations, and completely ignore the 500 plus that were peaceful. They are ignoring the root of the problem and focusing on a few weeds. It is utterly predictable by a man who wants to scare people instead of addressing the issue.

jenny12

I think people who vote for Trump do so because they support Trumpism whether they admit it or not. Saying the “left has left me no choice” when they put up someone as moderate as it gets is just cover. Using riots as a cover when there are also right-wing white nationalists who riot is inconsistent to be kind. You endorse Trump’s ethics violations, his blatant disregard for human life, his bigotry, and his misogyny by voting for him.

The biggest problem in this country has always been the amount of racist white people it had within it and the support for Trump is emblematic of that.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Are there any meaningful down ballot races that you're voting on this time?

I would vote even if there weren't. I think that the volume of votes for Biden vs Trump will be important separately from the electoral college votes that will determine the election.

It does matter what the vote is, especially to the rest of the world which doesn't get how we can make a person president who loses the vote.

We have one contested city council race. There are about 17 people running and I can say that every last one of them is a better person than Donald Trump by orders of magnitude.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I think people who vote for Trump do so because they support Trumpism whether they admit it or not. Saying the “left has left me no choice” when they put up someone as moderate as it gets is just cover. Using riots as a cover when there are also right-wing white nationalists who riot is inconsistent to be kind. You endorse Trump’s ethics violations, his blatant disregard for human life, his bigotry, and his misogyny by voting for him.

The biggest problem in this country has always been the amount of racist white people it had within it and the support for Trump is emblematic of that.

The violence that is happening is due to the conditions created by Trump. White nationalists, left-wing anarchists, opportunistic criminals, all have been encouraged by the division and viciousness spewed by Trump and by his deliberate refusal to address the serious issues which are being protested.

Trump = violence. Rightwing populism thrives on violence. The seeds planted by Trump are the same seeds that in other countries have grown into rightwing authoritarian governments that have supplanted democracy.

At this point this election is not about ideological agendas. It is about saving the country.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
There are some people worse than Donald Trump, but it's truly impressive how he has no redeeming characteristics whatsoever.

There are people worse than Trump. I view Trump as someone who is damaged. He does not have the capacity for empathy, nor to understand complexity.

But we've been lucky in many ways. He is more talk than action and has not acted on many of the things he has said he wanted to do. And he came to office manifestly uninterested in foreign wars; he seems to see himself as a popular entertainer not as a commander in chief. Thank god.

But if he is elected to a second term, his faction will have the opportunity to skew even more institutions that provide them access to power. And they will enable Donald Trump to be followed by another leader or leaders who don't have the same limitations that Trump does, likely someone motivated by desire for power rather than adulation as Trump is. And that will be very, very dangerous.

That is why Never Again is Now.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Sometimes it is that black and white: I listen to a lot of military types and lawful gun owners and hear their constant fear about the 2nd amendment. I do think that is a wedge issue that has traction and I think they stick with Trump because of that issue. Many, many are not racists and don't deserve to be painted that way. And some are and deserve all of our scorn.

Here is what I'm looking for in this election: I'm old enough to remember 1968 very clearly even though I was a child. Nixon was definitely "Mr. Law and Order" and he sold it like Trump sells it now. Except for a few folks black people were completely on their own in their struggle and Nixon did his best to scare white America. It worked. But this is not 1968 and I don't think a majority are drinking Trump's Kool-Aid on this. When people take to the streets today it looks considerably different than 1968. I hope that means progress. I hope I'm right.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Here is the Washington Post's view on the international impact of re-electing Trump:
Global freedom would suffer grievous harm in a second Trump term

... over the past three years he has done as much as any global actor to advance the cause of authoritarianism and undermine the free world.

... Aspiring strongmen who are dismantling democratic institutions in their countries have been embraced by Mr. Trump and welcomed to the White House, sometimes rupturing bans imposed by his predecessors. This sordid parade has featured Abdel Fatah al-Sissi of Egypt, Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, Prayut Chan-ocha of Thailand, Viktor Orban of Hungary and Andrzej Duda of Poland; the Philippines’ Rodrigo Duterte turned down Mr. Trump’s invitation. At the same time, Mr. Trump has shunned democratic leaders attempting to resist the Russians or Chinese — most notably Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who has never received a White House invitation after resisting Mr. Trump’s demand for a politicized investigation of Joe Biden. This month, Mr. Trump has done nothing to help the Belarus democratic movement seeking to overthrow the longtime dictator of a nation Mr. Putin seeks to dominate.

... Though damaged, U.S. democracy and the global cause of freedom so far have survived Mr. Trump’s term in office, in large part because they have the determined support of millions of citizens. Yet there should be no question that in a second Trump term, they would suffer grievous and perhaps irreversible harm. If the 21st century is to be a time in which human societies are grounded in individual freedoms, rather than dominated by an all-powerful state, Mr. Trump must be defeated.

MsZem

Here is what I'm looking for in this election: I'm old enough to remember 1968 very clearly even though I was a child. Nixon was definitely "Mr. Law and Order" and he sold it like Trump sells it now. Except for a few folks black people were completely on their own in their struggle and Nixon did his best to scare white America. It worked. But this is not 1968 and I don't think a majority are drinking Trump's Kool-Aid on this. When people take to the streets today it looks considerably different than 1968. I hope that means progress. I hope I'm right.
Nixon wasn't the incumbent back then. It's quite something for Trump to still be arguing that he alone can fix it... it's not Biden who's responsible for what's happening in the US at the moment.

Susan1

from FB - https://tinyurl.com/yxendeks
And -

Articles from FB -

had to tinyurl this because the c.v. word was in it -

Dan Rather tweet - The Trump re-election strategy seems to be to argue that only Donald Trump can save America from Donald Trump’s America.

once_upon

@rfisher, are you comfortable w your early vote by mail being safely counted?
I will be mailing mine in or dropping it in an election drop box within a week of getting it. I have to believe it will be counted or we've already gone past a democracy into dictatorship. I have to have that small hope, that we still live in a democracy.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I will be mailing mine in or dropping it in an election drop box within a week of getting it. I have to believe it will be counted or we've already gone past a democracy into dictatorship. I have to have that small hope, that we still live in a democracy.

I will have a drop box 3 blocks from my house so I'll probably use that, but I believe that as long as people mail their ballots as early as they can, there will not be a problem.

Essentially the whole world is watching now. The Postal Service is on notice. I think there will not be problems. But vote early.

Lacey

There was talk within the last two weeks that some Russian operatives brought in to tangle with our last presidential election are still here.

I have mail in ballot on order but not here yet. If my vote is counted more securely by in person voting, then that is what I will do.

hope it’s not a dumb question to ask if there is a receipt or acknowledgement that mail in or drop box vote was received?

Vagabond

Lincoln Project ads:

Protect
Decency

I think "Decency" is one of the best. Who would vote against decency? :saint:

Speaking of decency:

A Catholic case for Joe Biden
What happens outside of the womb is equally important as protecting the fetus. As Biden likes to tell audiences, "Don't compare me to the Almighty, compare me to the alternative." The bishops remind us that the core of Catholic teaching is centered on a foundation of love. Our daily witness to follow the Golden Rule is not just a command practiced in church. It is a directive to all who wish to inhabit the public square, and for everyone to bring a spirit of love and compassion to our civic dialogue.
But perhaps some voters don't care about life outside the womb. :shuffle:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
There was talk within the last two weeks that some Russian operatives brought in to tangle with our last presidential election are still here.

I have mail in ballot on order but not here yet. If my vote is counted more securely by in person voting, then that is what I will do.

hope it’s not a dumb question to ask if there is a receipt or acknowledgement that mail in or drop box vote was received?

Election security officials see no sign of foreign threat to mail-in voting (Washington Post)

Foreign governments such as Russia and China continue to try to interfere in the upcoming U.S. election, but officials have seen no evidence of countries trying to manipulate or manufacture mail-in ballots, officials said Wednesday.

Trump wants people to believe there are problems with mail-in voting.

Trump wants to mess with your head. Mail-in voting is safe. The only issue is the speed of mail delivery and as I said, the whole world is watching and the USPS is on notice. If you get your ballot in the mail in a timely fashion, there should be no problem.

Lacey

Election security officials see no sign of foreign threat to mail-in voting (Washington Post)

Trump wants people to believe there are problems with mail-in voting.

Trump wants to mess with your head. Mail-in voting is safe. The only issue is the speed of mail delivery and as I said, the whole world is watching and the USPS is on notice. If you get your ballot in the mail in a timely fashion, there should be no problem.

So, there’s a difference between mail in voting and drop box voting, is it the same form, but with a different vehicle to get the vote counted but the same end result?

sorry for the questions our vote ahead ballots arrived less than 24 hours before primary, so we hand carried them to voting place

Last edited:

Toshi_Berra

Trump voters only care about order in the sense of controlling minorities.

Have you seen how your party treats black conservatives or even moderates ? :rolleyes: Talk about DELUSIONAL. You only respect minority groups if they peddle your garbage ideology for you.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
So, there’s a difference between mail in voting and drop box voting, but with the same end result?

sorry for the questions our vote ahead ballots arrived less than 24 hours before primary, so we hand carried them to voting place

Well you go to the drop box yourself and place the ballot in it. The Board of Elections collects them from the drop box. So you are bypassing the postal service if you do it that way. If it is convenient for you to use a drop box then that's probably your best option.

It also lessens the number of ballots the postal service has to deal with so probably helps everyone.

My sister just used a drop box for her primary in RI. She received her ballot in the mail, filled it out and then dropped it at a drop box at City Hall. This seemed like a really good alternative.

But for those who don't have the option of a drop box, I don't think they should feel their only option is voting in person. If you can mail back your ballot in a timely fashion, there should not be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information