2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Opening Ceremony - It's On Like Donkey Kong!

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Watching the prime time replay and fast forwarding to the athletes and other highlights. They must have explained it earlier in the ceremony, but what is on the outfits of the people on the sides greeting the athletes?

Dobre

I watched the ceremonies on DVR this afternoon. The floating drone globe was incredible. I also thought the use of the wood from the 1964 Olympic seeds was great. And I will forever now think of the symbolic drawings for every sport as "sports emojis.":)

Plan for tomorrow is to watch the quality coverage of the men's gymnastics on Peacock if it will play. If not, plan B is to watch the swimming heats. And I'll watch the swimming finals regardless.

Kitty says I must also take him out in the backyard so he can explore his territory, with moral support in case the dogs show up.

quartz

scratching at the light
I missed some of the opening but I loved the drone globe and the pianist was fab!! Will definitely be looking up more of her music. The cauldron is lovely - is it supposed to be a chrysanthemum? Very happy that Naomi was the final lighter.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
....and of course the Americans are all bunched up and completely ignoring any semblance of social distancing.
Get a grip,my dear. It's the Olympic Games—the draconian Australian distancing and lockdown protocols thankfully are not applicable here.

-BB

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I’m just now watching—my immediate thought was it should have been Shakira who represented the Americas. She’s one of the most recognized artists in the world, is multilingual, and known for being philanthropic.
She's recently come under fire for tax evasion, so she may be laying low for a while. But I do enjoy her music haha.

MsZem

I loved the Iranian outfits, especially the women. Iranian women are the most fashionable women in the world.
It's not like the athletes have much of an input into these outfits. Anyway, of what I saw, Angola and Ghana were clearly the winners in the fashion department.

Israel, as always, was blah.

canbelto

It's not like the athletes have much of an input into these outfits. Anyway, of what I saw, Angola and Ghana were clearly the winners in the fashion department.

Israel, as always, was blah.

It's not the outfits. Iranian women just have this style. The way they wear their makeup and stuff. Its amazing.

MsZem

It's not the outfits. Iranian women just have this style. The way they wear their makeup and stuff. Its amazing.
You commented on the outfits though...

I guess you're seeing something that I'm not - though many Iranian women have beautiful eyes, no makeup needed! But it's not relevant to this thread at all :)

canbelto

You commented on the outfits though...

I guess you're seeing something that I'm not - though many Iranian women have beautiful eyes, no makeup needed! But it's not relevant to this thread at all :)

It was like an "I like the outfits" + "Iranian women are so stylish" but not necessarily connected. Just commenting on how they always look fabulous no matter what they;re wearing.

skipaway

South Korean Broadcast of Opening Ceremony included Inappropriate Photos to Describe other Countries

The broadcaster drew the most ire on Twitter after it showed a photograph of Chernobyl — the site of the 1986 nuclear power plant disaster ― as Ukraine’s athletes entered the National Stadium

MBC also used pictures of pizza when Italy’s representatives arrived, salmon for Norway, sushi for Japan, a scene of unrest for Haiti, and a depiction of the fictional Dracula for Romania, according to Reuters.
:wall::huh:

CantALoop

All this and brains too
If the opening ceremonies seemed unusually subdued (read: boooring), there was a thread on Reddit on what the opening ceremonies were supposed to be like, and some of the storyboard/concept images can be seen here: https://bunshun.jp/denshiban/articles/b1486

Kudos to Tokyo for getting through the Olympics and all the events without any cancellations, but after seeing what was planned and reading about what could've been, I can't help but be a little miffed at the incompetency of the organizers and the government for dragging its feet on vaccination.

Other things mentioned in the thread (all interesting allegations, not fact-checked):
  • The above concept art was envisioned by MIKIKO, who directed the awesome Rio --> Tokyo transition handoff
    (video in case you forgot about how fabulous/hype it was)
    • Rumors that higher-ups kept interfering with MIKIKO's vision, and she eventually resigned and was fired/replaced by Dentsu, the production company in charge of the opening ceremony
  • Dentsu seems super problematic
    • Their -former- Olympic creative director, Hiroshi Sasaki, supposedly clashed with MIKIKO and infamously called popular Japanese celebrity comedienne Naomi Watanabe an "Olympig"
    • Allegations in the thread that Dentsu is infamous for a toxic work environment and acrimonious relations with other companies
    • Dentsu was supposedly given $165 million USD for the opening ceremonies, but due to delays/an extra year of salaries/corruption, there was $10 million left
  • The increasing unpopularity and opposition to the Olympics leading up to the games gave many Japanese companies and talents cold feet
    • That would explain the lack of Nintendo tunes among the classic video game music in the entrance of the athletes
    • This also explains how the pop culture references originally seen in the Rio handoff and MIKIKO's opening ceremony storyboards went MIA in the opening ceremony we got
    • Perfume, a J-pop group that worked closely with MIKIKO and integrates a lot of technological theatrics in their shows, was slated to appear in the original opening ceremony. Presumably they got cut when MIKIKO got the axe
  • The best parts of the opening ceremony, such as the morphing ball of drones and cybernetic Olympic torch, are leftover from the original designs pictured in the link above

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information