2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Two (25 July)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Olympic surfing is on. First 4 man heat. Top two progress. Ferreira from Brazil is in the heat. He's the current world champion. The waves are small and wave selection and aerial maneuvers will determine the scores. A perfect score is a ten. Nobody will get that with this puny surf. Winner is the surfer with the two highest scores. If you watch, the P1 etc. Means that surfer has priority.. :lol: none of these guys would waste their time on these waves if it wasn't the Olympics, but it might even the playing field for surfers who aren't good enough for the pro circuits.

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I don't really understand what's happening but I'm enjoying the surfing

michalle

lol skateboarding on the agenda for today :)

Why are the CBC commentators Australian? At least one of the gymnastics ones was last night and now for the surfing too? Am I just losing my mind?

Oh, are they just using some kind of shared broadcast? The other surfing guy sounds Irish. I'm terrible at accents though. Actually, I think he might be Scottish.

Spikefan

These tiny waves really support having a more expanded Olympic range (and it would offset the cost), more continent driven rather than country. Any event that is weather driven should be in the most ideal location in a given continent.

mpal2

I was watching interviews about women's softball. This is the first year they get to wear pants because in the past the marketers "needed to be able to differentiate the men from the women's teams." :rolleyes: Because you can't tell any other way than making women wear shorts instead of pants that protect their legs from scratches and injury.

ETA: This is also the first time the shooting events are equal between men and women. The women weren't allowed to shoot as many rounds as the men so their scores were always lower for no good reason. This time everyone is shooting the same number of rounds. The female athlete (sorry about forgetting her name) was looking forward to being able to compare the women's scores to the men for the first time.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I don't really understand what's happening but I'm enjoying the surfing
P by one of their names means they get first chance at a wave. They are being scored on aerial moves and hitting the wave crest since the waves are too small to do barrels where you ride the inside of the wave as it breaks. Scores are awarded by how well they do what they do. The strategy is picking the right wave. Two best scoring waves are how each surfers scores are calculated.

The small waves actually mean the results aren't predetermined at all. And Andino from the U S is a far better surfer than the guy from Peru who won the heat.

Goofy means they surf with their left foot forward instead of the right.

Last edited:

Karen-W

I switched over to the skateboarding. I can appreciate an early morning (late afternoon here) of judged sports - surfing, skateboarding, diving, gymnastics!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I have the skateboarding on. Go Team Australia! :cheer: I have no idea what's going on!

Ooh this guy stepped off, is that a deduction?

Karen-W

I have the skateboarding on. Go Team Australia! :cheer: I have no idea what's going on!

Ooh this guy stepped off, is that a deduction?
Definitely - I've already deduced that hands down and stepping off the board is a deduction.

michalle

Is there any chance of an audience if cases go down in Tokyo or are they 100% committed? Looks like they might be flattening out but it's always so hard to tell.

Spikefan

Mr. Spikefan used to skateboard and he is teaching me some stuff and is enjoying this. Maybe I can convince him of a mix of skateboarding and gymnastics trip for Paris 2024. 😂 Now I just need to figure out a winter sport he is into for Italy 2026.

michalle

Mr. Spikefan used to skateboard and he is teaching me some stuff and is enjoying this. Maybe I can convince him of a mix of skateboarding and gymnastics trip for Paris 2024. 😂 Now I just need to figure out a winter sport he is into for Italy 2026.
Sounds like he could be a skeleton kind of guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information