2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Twelve (4 August)

Colonel Green

I think this makes Andre one of the most decorated Canadian male Olympians.
Yeah, five ties him with a few people. There are no Canadian men in the six-medal club (which is Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes). They're tied for second behind Penny with seven.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Did anyone watch the women's 10m platform diving prelims? It was a bit of a mess. The 2017 world champion Cheong Jun Hoong missed virtually every dive and didn't qualify (finished 26 out of 30), and her teammate Pandelela Pamg just snuck in in 18th place (she was the bronze medalist in 2012 and one of the more consistent divers) and was lucky that the second to last diver blew her last dive and dropped from 14th to 24th in the last round. Hopefully the semi finals and finals will be better. It will be difficult to beat either of the Chinese divers but the battle for bronze could be interesting with several divers capable of winning it. Personally I'm pulling for Melissa Wu to finally get an individual medal in her fourth Olympics.

Parsley Sage

Yeah, five ties him with a few people. There are no Canadian men in the six-medal club (which is Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes). They're tied for second behind Penny with seven.
Five ties him with Phil Edwards. I think Andre is now the most decorated living Canadian male Olympian.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico, via Russia - to the World!
I had the tv on while sleeping and woke up to Malaguena and thought "who's skating?" I don't know anything about this sport but Ukraine appealed to me most.
Oh, that was Spain...ole! Loved them. The announcer said that it’s a very young team, just beginning.

I absolutely LOVED the Austrians, among the up-and-comers...EVILE DOLLS...most creative program, although Japan’s ROBOTS also innovative & clever.

Can’t wait for the group routines, which begin 8/6 (Fri morn) 6:30am eastern US time on NBCOlympics live streaming. Start Order among the 10 countries, incl Canada & Australia but no USA group this yr:

Last edited:

Cachoo

Oh, that was Spain...ole! Loved them. The announcer said that it’s a very young team, just beginning.

I absolutely LOVED the Austrians, among the up-and-comers...EVILE DOLLS. Most creative program, although Japan’s Robots also innovative & clever.

Can’t wait for the group routines, which begin tomorrow 6:30am eastern US time on NBCOlympics live streaming. Start Order among the 10 countries:
Watching Austria reminded me of the film "Coraline." It had that vibe.

Colonel Green

Second day of decathlon is going to be interesting. Warner will extend his lead over Mayer in the 110m hurdles, but Mayer has potentially a massive pole vault. Will come down to the margins in the throws. :watch:
After Mayer's performance in the 400 m, I think he could potentially bleed badly in the 1500 m at the end.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
After Mayer's performance in the 400 m, I think he could potentially bleed badly in the 1500 m at the end.
The 400m wasn’t so bad as he had over performed in the high jump. In addition, 400m and 1500m are very different running events so really don’t think one has anything to do with the other.

Cachoo

I have this vow to support my country's women/girl teams and generally I like the sports when the ball (or object) is moving through the air rather than on the ground. And yet I find water polo so dull. And the US has a fine team. I don't know if it is the splashing water but I want to nap when I watch them.

Cachoo

Here's a great graphic that gives a breakdown of how McLaughlin won over Muhammad:

I didn't care who won but I was heartened to see that they like each other. The runner from Jamaica had an incredible accomplishment winning those two races and people just walked away from her. Rude!

Rina RUS

I just realized, Karate was added especially only for Olympics 2020
just so Japan could get 8 extra gold medals ? :eek::rolleyes:

Why not? :)
It seems people are happy to have these Olympics - even with all those restrictions.
Why can't the hosts get some extra medals (not thanks to judging, but thanks to adding an extra sport)? :)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Open Water Swimming is my favorite thing in the world to do but I have to say that watching other people do it is excruciatingly boring.

Though doing it in 85F water is really, really hard. So props to them.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Open Water Swimming is my favorite thing in the world to do but I have to say that watching other people do it is excruciatingly boring.

Though doing it in 85F water is really, really hard. So props to them.

There's a tiktok going around about how they get water handed to them as if they were feral animals. It's hilarious.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There's a tiktok going around about how they get water handed to them as if they were feral animals. It's hilarious.
TBH, I'm a little jealous they get water like that. When we go swimming for a long time, we have to pack bars and water into a swim buoy and drag it behind us like pack mules! :lol:

A friend who was training for the Ultraman which includes a marathon swim on the first day, had his girlfriend following him around in a kayak handing over food and water. That works too.

Cachoo

Hey the US held on to the baton—-They didn’t make it out of their heat but they didn’t drop the baton. 😈

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico, via Russia - to the World!
Svetlana Romashina (Russia) today became the GOAT of Synchro Artistic Swimming, with six gold medals over four Olympic Games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information