2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Twelve (4 August)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Schedule

Medals decided today in Artistic Swimming, Athletics, Boxing, Cycling Track, Equestrian, Marathon Swimming, Sailing, Skateboarding, Weightlifting and Wrestling.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
That makes me feel better...they are stuck hosting during the damned Pan.
But I wonder this will be the norm in those hosting the future Olympics ?
the HOST get to choose a non olympic sport they are good at , then add it to the games.

thats like indirect advantage / cheating
that guarantees Russia, Australia or Great Britain will never pass Japan in Top 3 gold medal tallies

Cachoo

But I wonder this will be the norm in those hosting the future Olympics ?
the HOST get to choose a non olympic sport they are good at , then add it to the games.

thats like indirect advantage / cheating
that guarantees Russia, Australia or Great Britain will never pass Japan in Top 3 gold medal tallies
Why do tallies matter? I need to edit---cheating matters when it comes to tallies. But I don't think adding a sport for a host country is necessarily unfair.

mjb52

Who cares? Why shouldn't they finish in the Top 3? Almost every host country experiences a medal bump, why shouldn't Japan?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Why do tallies matter? I need to edit---cheating matters when it comes to tallies. But I don't think adding a sport for a host country is necessarily unfair.
sorry, cheating was an incorrect and strong description, unfair advantage or indirect advantage.
The Olympics then is turning like The Universiade Games, were the host countries get to add sports they are good at.

Cachoo

True. And somehow countries believe that gold medals equal success. Sports is like the front porch of a house. It may be crap inside but the outside is splendid. Most athletes don't medal. Do you think the Olympics is somehow less of an experience for them?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Who cares? Why shouldn't they finish in the Top 3? Almost every host country experiences a medal bump, why shouldn't Japan?
that is true, in the previous Olympics, even in Rio.

But new sport was not added for a one time olympic event, I'm just wondering will this be the norm regarding the future HOST countries or just an exception for Tokyo 2020

Cachoo

sorry, cheating was an incorrect and strong description, unfair advantage or indirect advantage.
The Olympics then is turning like The Universiade Games, were the host countries get to add sports they are good at.
Well then the US is guilty...I mean we love skateboarding, surfing and breakdancing no? I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm very wary of the emphasis on medals though I'm happy to see people win them.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
True. And somehow countries believe that gold medals equal success. Sports is like the front porch of a house. It may be crap inside but the outside is splendid. Most athletes don't medal. Do you think the Olympics is somehow less of an experience for them?
Olympics usually is an upsetter event where the best athlete doesn't always win, but for most athletes its considered the pinnacle of their careers.

CantALoop

missing the days of Weed Jesus
I just realized, Karate was added especially only for Olympics 2020
just so Japan could get 8 extra gold medals ? :eek::rolleyes:

so i guess that was the bargain the IOC was willing to give

By that logic, you can argue that taekwondo was added for that same reason in 1988 :rolleyes:

FWIW, karate will be only appearing in Tokyo 2020 because Paris 2024 decided not to continue it: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...nger-after-paris-2024-exclusion-idUSKCN1QB22S

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Judo was added to the Olympic programme in 1964 when Tokyo last hosted the games. The organisers of the 1968 Mexico City Olympics decided not to include the sport in their programme, but from 1972 it has been a part of every Olympics.

Sports get added and dropped from the Olympics for various reasons. Don’t why that’s an issue.

skatingguy

Judo was added to the Olympic programme in 1964 when Tokyo last hosted the games. The organisers of the 1968 Mexico City Olympics decided not to include the sport in their programme, but from 1972 it has been a part of every Olympics.

Sports get added and dropped from the Olympics for various reasons. Don’t why that’s an issue.
Unless it's golf, softball, or baseball? ;)

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Oh...and when the Olympiad comes to the US I hope they add LaCrosse. Seriously.

I’d love to see them add Lacrosse (a sport that has been fighting for inclusion in the games for many years and actually included in 1904 and 1908), but they have no right to if they can’t figure out how to allow the Iroquois nation to participate in the Olympic movement. Lacrosse is more than just a medal chance for the US and Canada. It doesn’t belong to either of them.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I’d love to see them add Lacrosse (a sport that has been fighting for inclusion in the games for many years and actually included in 1904 and 1908), but they have no right to if they can’t figure out how to allow the Iroquois nation to participate in the Olympic movement. Lacrosse is more than just a medal chance for the US and Canada. It doesn’t belong to either of them.
There are some who are saying surfing shouldn't be allowed as it's cultural appropriation of native Hawaiians. Guess, they don't know that Carissa Moore IS native Hawaiian and I'm pretty sure she's fine with it being part of the Olympics. Although, in pro surfing, surfers from Hawai'i compete independently from the US mainland.

Cachoo

They have some kind of big filter system on barges that's supposed to be cleaning it up some.
Listening to Mary and Rowdy—we are cheering for all but apparently the Brazilian is a sentimental favorite. So go green!

Cachoo

Rowdy is over excited.

Brazil for gold, Netherlands and Australia silver and bronze.

I'm hoping her hair was green before she went in the water.
I laughed because it was so hard to see who was who in the group but he certainly tried to figure it out.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
There are some who are saying surfing shouldn't be allowed as it's cultural appropriation of native Hawaiians. Guess, they don't know that Carissa Moore IS native Hawaiian and I'm pretty sure she's fine with it being part of the Olympics. Although, in pro surfing, surfers from Hawai'i compete independently from the US mainland.

I don't have a problem with Lacrosse being included or played. But the Iroquois nation can't be excluded. The Iroquois Nation does compete separately from the US and Canada in World Lacrosse and the Iroquois, with the help and support of many of the other competing nations, have been fighting for their inclusion in the Olympics. This isn't a small part of the conversation. Last year the Irish team voluntarily stepped out of the World Games after they were initially included instead of the Iroquois National Team, who were the World Bronze Medalists which helped to push the International World Games Association to reverse their decision on including the Iroquois Nationals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information