2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Three (26 July)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well I am going to be a wet blanket and say I am not impressed with the IOC having skateboarding as an event and not requiring safety gear. At the very least a bloody helmet. I haven't watched but a few clips so maybe it's already been a discussion but I am pretty sure snowboarders wear helmets.
I thought the same thing. I couldn't believe they weren't wearing helmets.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I can't even laugh at the clip of Titmus' coach's reaction, because the local volunteer behind him seems terrified :(

Karen-W

I thought the same thing. I couldn't believe they weren't wearing helmets.
Yes! And even the 13 yr old Brazilian girl who was wearing a helmet... she didn't have it securely strapped to her chin. You could see the chinstrap dangling halfway down her neck!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm exhausted watching these surfers fight this choppy water

rfisher

Let the skating begin
For surfing, we can all agree that the scores are completely made up and the surfers are just making stuff up as they go along, right? :lol:
Well the scores are made up, and what they do depends on the wave. The best surfer knows how to read the waves. The ideal wave would be an excellent barrel, but in low waves like these, then hitting the rim and doing all sorts of aerials. The US should have sent Slater. He's superb at these types of conditions and has a crazy ability to pick the right wave. Andino blew it. Medina the Brazilian hottie is up next. He does a Ralph Lauren commercial and is just too pretty. Medina is my pick to win it all.

There is a reason there aren't any pro surfing contests off Japan in the summer. This time of year, all the events are in the southern hemisphere. The crazy as feck surfers are the big wave surfers they drop into a wave from a helicopter. If it crashes down on them there is a 50 foot wall of water. They actually wear a special vest that will automatically inflate if they're unconscious.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Well I am going to be a wet blanket and say I am not impressed with the IOC having skateboarding as an event and not requiring safety gear.
That would be up to the skateboarding governing body, I believe. They evidently take a relaxed approach (see also: no age limit).

mpal2

Peacock has a segment called On Her Turf focused on female Olympians and issues of equality in the Games. In spite of their focus on female athletes they still called the coach's reaction as the best part of Titmus/Ledecky's race. :rolleyes: At least they led with the race highlight itself and spent more time on the actual athletes.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Well I am going to be a wet blanket and say I am not impressed with the IOC having skateboarding as an event and not requiring safety gear. At the very least a bloody helmet. I haven't watched but a few clips so maybe it's already been a discussion but I am pretty sure snowboarders wear helmets.
The minors are required to wear helmets. (Not defending, just reporting the rules.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information