2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Three (26 July)

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m not a fan of whoever decided that black/grey could be a Canadian team uniform colour.

I can appreciate that wearing red and white all the time gets old but solid black or grey?!?!

It makes it hard for us fans to tell who is who.

Sylvia

U.S. Qualifying season is underway!
Crying again at Tom Daley in the replay on BBC1. I think it's because we have watched him grow up in front of our eyes and go through so much; losing his father who was so dedicated to Tom's career and at such a young age, coming out, being such an incredible advocate for the LGBTQ+ community, persevering after being written off and overcoming the nightmare of Rio. I can't think of anyone who deserves this more.
USA-now-GBR freestyle skiier Gus Kenworthy is working for NBC in Tokyo and was at the event to cheer on his pal Tom Daley. Check out his Instagram stories for their dives (#6 got cut off) and their :) encounter in the mixed zone afterwards.

ETA (2008 Tom to 2021 gold medalist Tom): https://twitter.com/Olympics/status/1419561609844899844

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Great diving by GB and China! Very happy with results. Some of the other judging brought back bad memories of ice dance judges..

I am here for the pool events and only the pool events (until the pool events are over :()

skatingguy

Golden Team
I’m not a fan of whoever decided that black/grey could be a Canadian team uniform colour.

I can appreciate that wearing red and white all the time gets old but solid black or grey?!?!

It makes it hard for us fans to tell who is who.
I like the Canadian uniforms for the Rugby Sevens - red's a pretty common colour on uniforms & I think that what they're wearing looks really nice.

Ka3sha

Sofia Pozdniakova (ROC) won gold in individual women's saber fencing event. Her father is a four time Olympic champion in fencing and also the president of ROC.
Third Olympic final for Sofia Velikaya (her surname literally means Great in Russian) and third silver medal :(

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
Sofia Pozdniakova (ROC) won gold in individual women's saber fencing event. Her father is a four time Olympic champion in fencing and also the president of ROC.
Third Olympic final for Sofia Velikaya (her surname literally means Great in Russian) and third silver medal :(
I watched that this morning. Fencing isn't at all like I expected. Each bout (is bout the right word?) seems to last only about two or three seconds! :) Interesting to watch, though.

miffy

I don’t really know if skateboarders are good or not (unless they fall) but I thought Momijo Nishiya was adorable and am happy she won. It was lovely to see how supportive the top competitors were of each other, they are obviously thrilled to be there.

michalle

The screaming in the fencing is something I will remember forever! Is it just a way to release adrenaline, a consequence of the physical effort, or a convention of the sport?

I enjoyed it, it was just startling!

skategal

Bunny mama
I like the Canadian uniforms for the Rugby Sevens - red's a pretty common colour on uniforms & I think that what they're wearing looks really nice.
The men’s volleyball was the one I saw. Could barely tell they were the Canadian team.

They should be required to have a big Maple Leaf on their back or front if not wearing red and white to help us aging folk out a bit. :drama::saint::lol:

miffy

Ahhhhh!!! Athens was my first FSU summer Olympics and we were all hanging out on soulseek. Soulseek! :lol: Good times ❤️
Iceroom! Aww Athens on FSU/Soulseek was so good. What was the name of the gymnast we all loved who wuzrobbed on floor… was it Cheng Fei?

Matryeshka

I have no idea what's going on in skateboarding, but I love their uniforms. Sporty, comfortable, not any difference between men and women. I love that sports like skateboarding are in the Olys--more urban, more inclusive, younger, which IMO the Olys needs. And while I know that at the highest level, all sports are expensive--traveling to international competition, the best equipment, etc., but skateboarding is waaaay cheaper than say fencing or dressage or access to an Olympic-sized pool. I feel like it opens high-level sports to underrepresented economic groups.

My brother lives in Brooklyn and says that skateboarding is crazy-popular there. I'm sure it's going to get a huge boost after this.

I still have not seen surfing. WHEN ARE THEY SHOWING SURFING. I NEED TO SEE SURFING.

I am surprisingly enjoying 3x3 Basketball. And men's volleyball. Men's volleyball seems to be less bloodthirsty than women's. Women's volleyball TERRIFIES me.

I can't with water polo. It just looks like a violent prairie dogs playing Marco Polo.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I have no idea what's going on in skateboarding, but I love their uniforms. Sporty, comfortable, not any difference between men and women. I love that sports like skateboarding are in the Olys--more urban, more inclusive, younger, which IMO the Olys needs. And while I know that at the highest level, all sports are expensive--traveling to international competition, the best equipment, etc., but skateboarding is waaaay cheaper than say fencing or dressage or access to an Olympic-sized pool. I feel like it opens high-level sports to underrepresented economic groups.

My brother lives in Brooklyn and says that skateboarding is crazy-popular there. I'm sure it's going to get a huge boost after this.

I still have not seen surfing. WHEN ARE THEY SHOWING SURFING. I NEED TO SEE SURFING.

I am surprisingly enjoying 3x3 Basketball. And men's volleyball. Men's volleyball seems to be less bloodthirsty than women's. Women's volleyball TERRIFIES me.

I can't with water polo. It just looks like a violent prairie dogs playing Marco Polo.
Starts at 5:00 pm your time. They'll do the quarterfinals, then the 3rd and 4th will compete for bronze and 1 and 2 for gold and silver...men and women (it will go straight through if the waves don't die by midafternoon Japan time.) Carissa Moore, Caroline Marks and Kolohe Andino are still in for the US. The winner should be one of the two Brazilian men, and Moore for the women, but who knows? Steph Gillmore from Australia went out in the 3rd round. It all depends on the waves.

Gabriel Medina from Brazil is :smokin: He should win just because.

love_skate2011

Definitely skateboarding is the way to go, its popular with the youth and you dont need expensive equipemnts
even Philipines sent a representative and finished 7th. I read France 2024 will make Parkour also in Olympics ?

Parkour is popular in France, Russia, US

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders

I've been watching the US women's 3x3 games whenever I can find them. One of the team members (Stefanie Dolson) is local and it's because of her I began watching college women's basketball, which has since become one of my favorite sports.

I've never met her but I think it would be so great if she takes home a medal (I'm trying to limit my fantasies to just a medal and not a brightly colored one).

MsZem

I have no idea what's going on in skateboarding, but I love their uniforms. Sporty, comfortable, not any difference between men and women. I love that sports like skateboarding are in the Olys--more urban, more inclusive, younger, which IMO the Olys needs.
I don't mind skateboarding as an Olympic sport, but I think there should be an age limit. Thirteen year olds shouldn't be competing at the Olympics at all, and a podium where the oldest medalist is 16 is not something that the games need.

Sylvia

U.S. Qualifying season is underway!
Caught a replay of this table tennis final match - very exciting 🥇 in mixed doubles for the host nation!
Mizutani, Ito win historic gold in table tennis mixed doubles
Jun Mizutani and Mima Ito made history on Monday as the mixed doubles pair produced an epic comeback to give Japan its first ever table tennis Olympic gold medal after a seven-game thriller at the Tokyo Olympics.
Mizutani 32, and Ito 20, stunned Chinese world champions Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen 4-3, having trailed by two games in the nerve-jangling final at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium.
They won 5-11, 7-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-9, 6-11, 11-6, becoming the first champions of the mixed doubles event that was added to the table tennis program for the first time at these games.
"China has beaten us so many times at the Olympics and at the World Championships. I think we were able to avenge all those losses here at the Tokyo Games. I'm really happy," said Mizutani.
Added Ito, "I'm really really really happy. We were able to enjoy ourselves up to the very end because everyone, including our team staff, cheered us on."
Powerhouse China has dominated table tennis since it was introduced at the 1988 Seoul Games, winning 28 of the 32 Olympics gold medals through the Rio Olympics five years ago.
They had won all of the golds on offer since missing out on the men's singles title in Athens in 2004.
Mixed doubles has a long history at the world championships, even though it is a new event at the Tokyo Games.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't mind skateboarding as an Olympic sport, but I think there should be an age limit. Thirteen year olds shouldn't be competing at the Olympics at all, and a podium where the oldest medalist is 16 is not something that the games need.
This isn't the only sport with teenagers though. There are a lot in swimming (which I am watching now)

Also, in 4 years, that 16-year-old will be 20 and could still be on the podium. As the sport grows up, I expect it to get a wider variety of ages competing because it doesn't seem to be a sport where being 20 gives you any disadvantages.

Barbara Manatee

I wish the skateboarding commentary had been better though - they didn't make any attempt to explain how the tricks are done or the points are awarded. The run part was entertaining but during the tricks, I got bored with the constant falls and the confusion over scores.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Well I am going to be a wet blanket and say I am not impressed with the IOC having skateboarding as an event and not requiring safety gear. At the very least a bloody helmet. I haven't watched but a few clips so maybe it's already been a discussion but I am pretty sure snowboarders wear helmets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information