2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Three (26 July)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Schedule

Medals to be decided on 26th July in Archery, Gymnastics, Canoe Slalom, Cycling, Diving, Fencing, Judo, Shooting, Skateboarding, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Triathlon and Weightlighting

michalle

How nice for Polyanskiy to come out of the swimming second - I was literally just reading a (just always assume google translated) article that gently hinted at the idea that not much was expected of him unless I was misinterpreting it (quite possible).

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Women are surfing. Steph Gillmore from Australia and Carrisa Moore from the US are the favorites for medals. History: surfing was first proposed for the olympics back in 1912 by Duke Kahanamoku. It took over 100 years to get there.

Surf forecast is for bigger surf by the finals.

michalle

The triathlon is very exciting! Is it basically mostly about staying in range so you have a chance and then the best runner wins?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Sorry Australia, but major upset in women's surfing. And, she is not happy. If somebody sticks a Mic in her face, they'll be eating it for breakfast.

Pro surfing has the same prize money for women as for men. They are the only sport which does. And top surfers make a lot of money between prize money and endorsements

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Nooooo, Steph!!!
I follow her on Insta, and I don't think she's going to be posting happy thoughts. Priority over waves did her in.

Due to a bunch of unfortunate events both US men will compete against each other today. Good news one will be guaranteed into the quarterrounds. And one will go home. The U S should have sent Slater. He excels in these small waves.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

NBC’s primetime coverage has started. They are doing a lame job of supposedly hyping this Ledecky 🇺🇸 / Titmus 🇦🇺 400m free showdown that’s coming up in about 3 hours. Is it supposed to be like Michelle/Tara? I’ve seen two fluff pieces already. Just sayin’!

Showing men’s triathlon live - can’t believe that an American man hasn’t medalled yet in this. When did the triathlon debut? Sydney 2000?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
NBC’s primetime coverage has started. They are doing a lame job of supposedly hyping this Ledecky 🇺🇸 / Titmus 🇦🇺 400m free showdown that’s coming up in about 3 hours. Is it supposed to be like Michelle/Tara? I’ve seen two fluff pieces already. Just sayin’!
Yes, it's going to be quite the showdown. It's such a shame for the Aussie swimmers though. Instead of swimming in prime time, evening, the whole nation watching, the finals are in the middle of the day, on a work day, where people won't be able to access it as easily. With the time difference to Tokyo a normal schedule would have been quite suitable.

ilovepaydays

Okay, NBC’s anime fluff piece was a bit lame. Sorry!

Actually, most of NBC’s Olympic fluff pieces have been lame since about 2008, IMHO. I think it started when they did the “day in a life” fluff about Michael Phelps in 2008. It was like they were trying to show him as normal as possible when he clearly wasn’t.

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

I forgot that NBC Prime starts at 7pm on Sunday and I was definitely over on USA watching mixed coverage.

annie720

Watching the women’s street skateboarding. Why in heck are the scores so much lower than the guys? What am I missing?

MacMadame

Staying at home
You know things are getting wacky when there's a false start in the triathlon.
I have to say that I have literally only seen that one other time. (At 2015 Worlds?)

The triathlon is very exciting! Is it basically mostly about staying in range so you have a chance and then the best runner wins?
It is in Olympic triathlon. In Ironman, the distances are so great that you can come out of the water in the second pack and still win. Or come off the bike 15 min. behind the leaders and still win. But, yeah, even there the best runners tend to win.

Showing men’s triathlon live - can’t believe that an American man hasn’t medalled yet in this. When did the triathlon debut? Sydney 2000?
It's kind of sad given that Triathlon was invented in the US. But our women have really stepped up in recent years and are in medal contention here (and won gold in 2016) and McDowell did a lot better than I expected.

ilovepaydays

NBC is showing another Ledecky interview piece with Mike Tirico.

Um, college bands are supposed to be REALLY good, Katie. 🙄 🎷

Shallow point: Micheal Phelps’ beard is pretty ugly, IMHO.

skatingguy

Golden Team

No this is nothing like Tara/Michelle - Titmus/Ledecky is an interesting rivalry.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
women surfing on the computer and women skateboarding on TV. Woman Power :respec: (which sort of gives the surfer's shaka--it has to be the thumb and little finger) :lol:

And Carissa Moore squeaked into the quarters. Hope the waves are better tomorrow. A riptide is forming and the winds are in the wrong direction. They may call off the men's event if this continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information