2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Thirteen (5 August)

Gazpacho

Oh and San Marino has won a third medal!

Most successful nation per capita at Tokyo 2020! :cheer2:
He, his parents, and three grandparents are American. One grandparent was San Marinese, so he qualified for citizenship there. I don't think you can really call him San Marinese in a cultural sense. It was a smart decision for him to represent San Marino though. He would likely not have made the USA team as only one entrant per country is allowed in each weight class. The USA entrant won the gold in that weight class today.

moebius

He, his parents, and three grandparents are American. One grandparent was San Marinese, so he qualified for citizenship there. I don't think you can really call him San Marinese in a cultural sense. It was a smart decision for him to represent San Marino though. He would likely not have made the USA team as only one entrant per country is allowed in each weight class. The USA entrant won the gold in that weight class today.
Lots of the small obscure countries are represented by Americans by having a relative who was a citizen of that country. I don't know if it's fair to the athletes living in those countries. Maybe not, as they would not have qualified for the Olympics anyways. Or the Americans stole the spot from them.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Lots of the small obscure countries are represented by Americans by having a relative who was a citizen of that country. I don't know if it's fair to the athletes living in those countries. Maybe not, as they would not have qualified for the Olympics anyways. Or the Americans stole the spot from them.
It can help to build their athletic programs, which then helps the athletes in that country.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
There are 34,000 people in San Marino. I’m pretty sure he didn’t steal anyone’s spot. :p

Have to say some of you are absolutely f*cking killjoys.

millyskate

There are 34,000 people in San Marino. I’m pretty sure he didn’t steal anyone’s spot. :p

Have to say some of you are absolutely f*cking killjoys.
Yes the San Marino joint federation for judo, weightlifting, wrestling and associated disciplines has this very snazzy website
It currently claims 1 weightlifter, and an impressive 7 judokas have achieved a black belt in Judo but I doubt any of them were aiming for a wrestling spot at the Olympics :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information