2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Thirteen (5 August)

Cachoo

Warner records 63.44 m on his second javelin throw attempt. His lifetime best is 64.67, while his season best is 59.46, so he's delivering in yet another event here.

Mayer gets 73.09 on his second attempt, but he's out of road at this point.
Has Colonel Green slept?

nickp

Amazing day for USA team sports Beach volleyball, baseball, water polo, basketball all advance to gold medal matches Plus women soccer salvage bronze

Cachoo

About four and a half hours.
I get it... it is worth it to stay up for a favorite athlete.

I honestly didn't know what a canoe sprint was and found out a 19 yr old American won it and I wanted to see the race anyway. I look at her and, to me, she is what a healthy body should be....not these underweight "influencers" who alter their images to the point they are unrecognizable. I like that athletes come in all shapes and sizes.

victorskid

Happily ignoring many pontificators & know-it-alls
What’s the story here?
If you Google the name it tells you: "Nina Schultz is a Chinese track athlete who competes in the heptathlon and pentathlon. She was a Canadian citizen at birth and previously competed for Canada."

She previously won a silver at the Commonwealth Games competing for Canada, 3 years ago, I think.

Cachoo

Fell asleep early this evening and missed all the morning athletics excitement. So bummed for Devon Allen. Hopefully he'll finally get a medal in Paris.

Pleased as punch that our men's basketball team has made it to the gold medal match. Hopefully they can keep the winning streak up.

Just looked at the soccer results - I'm going to laugh my ass off if the US women lose to Australia. There's not much inherently likable about this team and I'd be fine with them coming home without any medal.

Glancing through the karate results - so apparently Japan isn't winning all the medals there...

Skateboarding - now that's a new event where the USA seriously underdelivered based on pre-Olympics hype, not athletics or swimming or WAG.

It is an old team whose 30 something leaders carry the bad reputation. I'd say they are due for a rebuild. I woke up last night, tv on as usual, to see Carli Lloyd score a gorgeous goal. And then I went back to bed. I don't like soccer anyway but I did enjoy Mia Hamm and teammates because I could see the positive effect they had on girls.

Karen-W

So, I'm catching up on what I slept through last night - quite fascinated by sport climbing. And I'm amused that they have a "leader's corner" for their competitors to sit and stew in while they wait for the other athletes to pass them in the standings. Glad to know skating isn't alone in this, lol.

Cachoo

So, I'm catching up on what I slept through last night - quite fascinated by sport climbing. And I'm amused that they have a "leader's corner" for their competitors to sit and stew in while they wait for the other athletes to pass them in the standings. Glad to know skating isn't alone in this, lol.
Do they also have a Kiss-n-Cry? :p

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
Apropos of nothing but I see the US beat Australia in the women’s football bronze medal match. #LosingMatildas :saint:
You're evil. :lol: However, I'm glad for my godchildren, who are little soccer fanatics and were rooting for the U.S. women.

MsZem

Since an Israeli came in 4th in the Marathon swim, it's been getting some coverage here and apparently the water temperature was at least 29c. That must have been absolutely hideous.

(personally swimming even 1K sounds hideous to me, but that's besides the point)

Cachoo

Since an Israeli came in 4th in the Marathon swim, it's been getting some coverage here and apparently the water temperature was at least 29c. That must have been absolutely hideous.

(personally swimming even 1K sounds hideous to me, but that's besides the point)
Plus allezfred said the water is dirty so these folks must be dedicated... or crazy.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Lol! No, but, really, some of these judged sports, especially skateboarding, should have one! Those skaters are out there on concrete in the heat competing and they should get to go into a nice, shaded, cooling area for their marks after each run.
This is a great article about skateboarding at the Olympics:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Oh and San Marino has won a third medal!

Most successful nation per capita at Tokyo 2020! :cheer2:
With approximately 1 medal for every 10,000 residents I think that makes San Marino the most successful country in the history of the Olympics based on the list of all time medalists. Also worth noting that San Marino has 5 athletes at the Olympics, and 3 of them will come home with medals. I hope we get to see video of the parade.

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Just catching up on the men's 1500 m semis, and they were wild - Olympic record in the second-semi - should be a really good final.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am now watching the second SF of the 1500m and I am really digging the outfits on Great Brittan. But this male commentator is a moron.

ETA the Kenyans are the prettiest runners. I love their form.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Just catching up on the men's 1500 m semis, and they were wild - Olympic record in the second-semi - should be a really good final.
I thought gymnastics' rule about only two per country for finals was rough, but the poor US guy in the second 1500M heat ran faster than the US guy in the first heat but isn't going through because he was so far back in his heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information