2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Thirteen (5 August)

Cachoo

So raise your hand if you don't give a rats-ass about which country as X medals. I do care about individual athletes and what medals they do or don't get. I want all my favorites to do well!

To earn money.
So sad for the US team but hopefully they will get their act together in time for Paris. But there have been so many cool moments! Andre winning the 200m, the Chinese finally challenging for medals, Warner, Hassan, Thompson-Herah, the Italians!
The US women are hanging in there on the track. 🤘 Rock on! The guys…well for some of them this isn’t their meet.

About the medals race: I guess this is because I am old but I remember the Battle of the Brians when the US didn’t have any gold medals and then Boitano won one. That remains such a memorable gold for me. It felt special. There have been other moments since that. But you know the powers that be in track are going to be wailing and gnashing their teeth while I think you can’t win them all.

Last edited:

Tesla

Whippet Good
About the medals race: I guess this is because I am old but I remember the Battle of the Brians when the US didn’t have any gold medals and then Boitano won one. That remains such a memorable gold for me. It felt special. There have been other moments since that. But you know the powers that be in track are going to be wailing and gnashing their teeth while I think you can’t win them all.
I think the US won 8 medals in 1988? Or maybe 6. I know it was less than 10. I don't care how many medals they win. I hope the athletes are happy with themselves and had fun. No one owns the US a medal.

Colonel Green

Warner records 63.44 m on his second javelin throw attempt. His lifetime best is 64.67, while his season best is 59.46, so he's delivering in yet another event here.

Mayer gets 73.09 on his second attempt, but he's out of road at this point.

SpeedySucks

I think the US won 8 medals in 1988? Or maybe 6. I know it was less than 10. I don't care how many medals they win. I hope the athletes are happy with themselves and had fun. No one owns the US a medal.
The U.S. won 6 medals in Calgary. Gold for Boitano and Bonnie Blair, silver for Eric Flaim, and bronze for Watson/Oppegard, Debbi Thomas, and Blair.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Goddamn, heartbreak for Australia tonight. Matildas went down gallantly to a US side that seemed to, shall we say...bend the rules....

And to lose the hockey to Belgium in a penalty shootout! 😭😭😭

Dave of the North

My eyebrows portray the suffering
Warner records 63.44 m on his second javelin throw attempt. His lifetime best is 64.67, while his season best is 59.46, so he's delivering in yet another event here.

Mayer gets 73.09 on his second attempt, but he's out of road at this point.

Yes, to make up 214 points Mayer would have to beat him by something over 30 seconds in the 1500. :COP: To get to 9000, Warner would have to run about 4:32 or 4:33.

millyskate

So happy for Holly Bradshaw :cheer: After finishing 6th and 5th at the previous olympics, she finally gets a medal. Nageotte made such a comeback after the early disaster! Well done to her.

Colonel Green

In the race for the decathlon bronze, I think Moloney has this.

Reviewing season's bests, LePage should be able to pass Scantling to get back into fourth place, but I don't see how he can make up the 96 points he needs on Moloney unless the latter has some kind of accident.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Would this have been moved if the US women were playing for gold?
Well, it’s good the Canadian and Swedish teams are happy, but f*ck NBC and the IOC for putting it on at that time originally.

Colonel Green

Heh, the CBC commentators always avoid saying anything about Zheng Ninali. Hard feelings in the track community.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Well, it’s good the Canadian and Swedish teams are happy, but f*ck NBC and the IOC for putting it on at that time originally.
Yes, I read it was a request from both teams to have it moved due to heat concerns. I guess NBC no longer cared to have it live on primetime when the US was no longer going to be there.

Colonel Green

Quite a race in the heptathlon. Thiam, on paper, shouldn't have a problem fending off Vetter for the gold.

The bronze could go any number of ways.

Colonel Green

Canada is now at 19 medals (18 plus the one banked in women's soccer, which will be gold or silver). I think Vincent-Lapointe/Vincent can get us another canoeing medal to get us to 20, and the 4x100 relay has a shot. Not sure if we can scrounge up another to equal the Rio tally, though we've surpassed Rio in both gold and silver medals. Indeed, in the gold medal count this is already Canada's best Olympics since Barcelona and #2 all-time in non-boycotted Games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information