2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Thirteen (5 August)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Schedule

Medals to be awarded today in Athletics, Boxing, Canoe Sprint, Cycling Track, Diving, Hockey, Karate, Marathon Swimming, Skateboarding, Sport Climbing and Table Tennis.

Colonel Green

Alright, Decathlon Part 6: Hurdles. The last of Warner's real money events.

His personal best (which is also the all-time world best for a decathlon hurdler) is 13.27, while his season's best is 13.36. It's maybe a bit much to ask him to replicate the all-time record, though he did that in the 100 m sprint earlier.

Colonel Green

Mayer at 13.90 in the hurdles, off his personal best of 13.54 (hitting one of the hurdles couldn't help him there), but decent effort.

ilovepaydays

I can’t WAIT until the men’s 110m hurdles final (10:55pm EDT). Assuming Holloway 🇺🇸 wins, will be break the world record? 🥈 and 🥉 are probably up for grabs! 🍿😃👍

Colonel Green

Warner now 440 points ahead of Mayer. That is the widest his lead is likely to get.

Mayer has the next three events (discus, pole vault, javelin) to eliminate Warner's lead before we get to the 1500 metres.

skatingguy

Wellbrock & Paltrinieri continue the good times from the pool by medalling in the Men's Marathon Swim.

🥇 🇩🇪 Wellbrock, 🥈🇭🇺 Rasovszky 🥉🇮🇹 Patrinieri

ilovepaydays

I'm not seeing decathlon or heptathlon. Just more damn beach volleyball!

What’s nuts is that I don’t see Klineman/Ross 🇺🇸 as that impressive. They are nothing like May-Treanor/Walsh Jennings were. Or when Walsh paired with Ross for 2016. April & Alix look like they are just MEH good.

I think they will be in trouble when they face either the Australians 🇦🇺 or Latvians 🇱🇻 for the gold medal match.

Colonel Green

And now over to the women's canoe sprint semifinals. Canada looking to set up a medal or two here, now that women sprint canoeists are finally allowed.

skatingguy

So, should they just have the decathlon for both the men and women? 🤔
I'd be interested to know what the current competitors in the Heptathlon think of creating a women's Decathlon - they're the one's that would have to learn 3 additional sports.

Colonel Green

Warner makes his first discus attempt and scores 48.67, a slight improvement on his season best 48.43 from the Hypo-Meeting.

EDIT: Mayer's first attempt is 46.59.

Colonel Green

After fouling his first attempt, LePage puts up a nice 47.14.

And Mayer gets 48.08 on his second attempt. Reduces the deficit to Warner's score in this segment, but not overall. He needs more on his final attempt.

Colonel Green

And Mayer fouls on his third throw attempt.

Oh dear, that's not good for him. He actually loses ground on Warner in this round (though only -13 points, so not huge or anything).

skatingguy

Here's an article - it's a little superficial but it gives the gist of current thought: https://www.11alive.com/article/spo...mpics/85-cfa5afe4-bb52-4380-8300-f7881fce1f21
Yeah doesn't really give a sense of what the consensus, or majority position of the athletes are at this time. These questions exist in a number of sports like tennis, and gymnastics, and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of consensus or pressure to make the men's & women's sports identical.

skatingguy

And Mayer fouls on his third throw attempt.

Oh dear, that's not good for him. He actually loses ground on Warner in this round (though only -13 points, so not huge or anything).
That would seem to put Mayer out of the race for Gold - he's 453 points behind Warner with 3 events to go - approx a hundred points between 2nd & 3rd, and then 3rd & 4th - that seems to be where the battle will be waged.

Colonel Green

That would seem to put Mayer out of the race for Gold - he's 453 points behind Warner with 3 events to go - approx a hundred points between 2nd & 3rd, and then 3rd & 4th - that seems to be where the battle will be waged.
If he's in form he can make up at least 200 points on the pole vault. Javelin could add another 100 or so. But yeah, he's pretty much in the territory of needing Warner to no-height on the pole vault.

skatingguy

NBC’s Mike Tirico on the 4x100m relay prelims: “The U.S. 🇺🇸 should be a favorite - if they can hold on to the baton.” HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 😆
And waiting for the official results, but it looks like the US is out of the 4x100 m relay final after finishing 6th in heat two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information