2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Sixteen (8 August)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Because the IOC is going to do anything more than a cursory "probe" and hope to sweep this under the rug...
Doing an investigation is something at the very least. That wouldn't have happened previously. It's progress.

The situation for LGBTQ+ in Russia and other countries is deplorable, but it wasn't very long ago that things were almost as bad in the western world. Most of the world still hasn't banned conversion therapy, many gay men still can't donate blood, trans people face violence and murder on a daily basis. I hope the increased visibility of LGBTQ+ at these Games will give hope that things are gradually getting better, but also serve as a reminder that every country still has a lot more to do.

michalle

Does the Netherlands always do so well? 7th on the medal table seems pretty good. I primarily associate it with cycling and speed skating, but you can't just make it that high on the medal table with just cycling (speed skating not a factor in the summer obviously!).

skatingguy

Golden Team
what about the ladies in RG ?, they were crying and upset though.
they had high expectations plus the extra burden.

which is fine by me for their reactions, plenty of times it has happened like when China doesn't win table tennis or the US loses a team competition like basketball or even swimming which they expect only gold.
I'm not sure if there is a language barrier, but your response doesn't make any sense, or seem to have anything to do with the post that you responded to.

love_skate2011

Does the Netherlands always do so well? 7th on the medal table seems pretty good. I primarily associate it with cycling and speed skating, but you can't just make it that high on the medal table with just cycling (speed skating not a factor in the summer obviously!).
netherlands is a powerhouse in cycling in summer,
in what other sports discipline did the 7th place in gold contribute ?

allezfred

Staff member
Even if she won Gold the US would have won the medal count by winning more total medals.
The first part is correct and the second part is out of step with the rest of the world. Or more simply put incorrect. :p

allezfred

Staff member
Thanks, I will look into that :)

We got a lot of ball sports and fight sports here which I am generally not interested in.
It was a bit shit having to pay for live streams that we would get from our national broadcaster, but being able to watch what you want to live = priceless.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
NBC just ran a remarkable story about the relationship between Rikuzentakata, a coastal Japanese city and Crescent City in northern Cali. It embodies the spirit of the Olympics. I hope we see it again.

I watched that story earlier today and it had me in so many tears. What a wonderful story and I agree that it totally embodies what the Olympics are supposed to be. Glad they showed that story to us. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information