2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Sixteen (8 August)

Karen-W

I don't see how the American boxer is going to beat the Uzbeki boxer. The Uzbeki must have a good 4 inches of height on the US guy.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Ok…the guy is class valedictorian, loves chess, built a robot and was knocked out cold by this man in 2019. Why does he want to take blows to his head?

For the sake of accuracy, he didn’t “build a robot,” he was on his school’s robotics club. He’s a Vex Robotics kid :lol:

As someone who works with robotics teams, I can confirm they get hit in the head anyways. ;)

Karen-W

First time watching handball and... I'm a little surprised this isn't a more popular sport in North America. It's this weird combination of basketball, rugby and soccer.

France is playing hard and I think it will be hard for Russia to beat them. About halfway through the 2nd half.

Karen-W

France wins the women’s handball title for the first time!

Just the men’s water polo to go and the Olympics are done….
Love seeing their men's team in the stands cheering them on! Superb result for France!

It's been a rough last 2 days of the Olympics for Russia. I think the only bright spot was the women's high jump.

I see that it's Serbia v. Greece for men's water polo. It would be kind of appropriate for Greece to win the last medal of the Olympics, no?

Karen-W

10-9 Serbia lead over Greece with just one quarter left in the last event of this Olympics.

love_skate2011

GBR over China boxing,
well the US will take the overall gold and medal standings now.

China wont be happy, but still its better than their Rio outing.

love_skate2011

Love seeing their men's team in the stands cheering them on! Superb result for France!

It's been a rough last 2 days of the Olympics for Russia. I think the only bright spot was the women's high jump.

I see that it's Serbia v. Greece for men's water polo. It would be kind of appropriate for Greece to win the last medal of the Olympics, no?
They lost golds in RG and some others they thought could win like boxing ? 20 gold with a missing athletics and weightlifting delegation, sports they had contenders is nothing to sneeze at.

GBR I think is assured of 4th place ? I dont think anyone can pass them.
How will countries asses their performance in these games ?

I was right, at the end of the last games, Tribalism came alive. hihihi
:p

Karen-W

love_skate2011

Sadly this applies to so many things.

There are some wonderful Russian athletes, and they deserve better from the country they (sort of) represent.
meaning ? I dont think any russian athlete will defect, on contrary their sport functions as a hybrid now, just look at figure skating they get state funding but private clubs are allowed to work once approved by the federation to lessen the burden. Its not like Belarus :blocjudge

Did you saw wrestling ? There was a Belarusian import from dagestan (who scored 11-0) to the favored american to win Kyle Dake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffl8ifT7dw :scream:

all over social media, they say that wrestler on the video didnt even wrestle good in the Finals on purpose, he handed over the gold to Russia from ossetia, he purposely lose so Sidakov could win gold for Russia.

MsZem

That the Russian athletes are poorly served by the leadership in their country, and in the sports organizations in particular.
Exactly. And "sort of represent" because they can't compete under their own flag due to said leadership.

I wanted to separate the athletes, many of whom are wonderful competitors and people, from the broader criticism of how their leadership conducts itself.

love_skate2011

Exactly. And "sort of represent" because they can't compete under their own flag due to said leadership.

I wanted to separate the athletes, many of whom are wonderful competitors and people, from the broader criticism of how their leadership conducts itself.
what about the ladies in RG ?, they were crying and upset though.
they had high expectations plus the extra burden.

which is fine by me for their reactions, plenty of times it has happened like when China doesn't win table tennis or the US loses a team competition like basketball or even swimming which they expect only gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information