2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Six (29 July)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
A little sad that the O'Donovan brothers aren't in the boat together anymore, but now that Paul is Olympic Champion I'm sure the party will be even bigger this time around when they get home.
Gary flew out to Tokyo as a reserve, but apparently is on his way home now and didn’t even get to see his brother race.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Zhang Yufei was so smooth and dominant in that swim. Congrats to her!

canbelto

Caleb: "I'm hurting."

Jesus what is with NBC interviewing swimmers who say they are in too much pain to talk?

ilovepaydays

YAY CAELEB!!! 🇺🇸 Olympic record in the 100m free!!! 👍😁💪🎉

OMG NBC. You don’t have to have them interview right after they get out of the pool. I can’t imagine what the lactic acid in some of these swimmers must still feel like this soon after they race like this.

skatingguy

Golden Team
YAY CAELEB!!! 🇺🇸 Olympic record in the 100m free!!! 👍😁💪🎉

OMG NBC. You don’t have to have them interview right after they get out of the pool. I can’t imagine what the lactic acid in some of these swimmers must still feel like this soon after they race like this.
Actually they kind of do because once the swimmers leave the pool deck the media doesn't have any access to them, plus winded poolside interviews are the norm in swimming so the swimmers wouldn't think anything of doing them.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm SOOO happy for Caeleb and that little segment of him talking to his family was adorable! I can't even imagine going to one of the biggest competitions of my life and not having my family or support system with me so I can understand how they're all getting emotional when they get to see them. Kudos to NBC for making that happen for these athletes. Way to go Caeleb! :cheer:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Actually they kind of do because once the swimmers leave the pool deck the media doesn't have any access to them, plus winded poolside interviews are the norm in swimming so the swimmers wouldn't think anything of doing them.

It's not whether they think anything of doing them, it's that they are totally useless. They literally just always say the same dumb thing because who is going to say anything useful when they haven't even caught their breath from winning or losing.

Why is their a press conference for gymnastics but not swimming? And why have all the other athletes been able to go on the today show and do other interviews if the swimmers somehow can't?

Barbara Manatee

No, the swimmers aren't saying anything surprising, but it is lovely and touching to watch them connecting with their families - the looks in their eyes says everything.

ilovepaydays

Women’s 200m Breaststroke semifinals: OMG Lilly King is such a jerk. Saying “I help her (Jacoby) as much as I could. Maybe I helped her too much.” 😳

I hope Annie Lazor (or someone else) kicks her @$&!

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
No, the swimmers aren't saying anything surprising, but it is lovely and touching to watch them connecting with their families - the looks in their eyes says everything.

Which is fine, but they don't always do that. And I don't 100% know that those are moments they want the whole world to witness. Has their permission been asked?

Karen-W

I'm SOOO happy for Caeleb and that little segment of him talking to his family was adorable! I can't even imagine going to one of the biggest competitions of my life and not having my family or support system with me so I can understand how they're all getting emotional when they get to see them. Kudos to NBC for making that happen for these athletes. Way to go Caeleb! :cheer:
I don't think that's NBC's doing, I think it's the Tokyo organizing committee. I've seen those family monitors at other events - just saw the British BMXer talking to her family after she qualified for the semi-finals a bit ago.

Barbara Manatee

The families don't have to appear on camera if they don't want to. No one forces them to go to the sponsored watch parties or let a camera into their homes.

skatingguy

Golden Team
It's not whether they think anything of doing them, it's that they are totally useless. They literally just always say the same dumb thing because who is going to say anything useful when they haven't even caught their breath from winning or losing.

Why is their a press conference for gymnastics but not swimming? And why have all the other athletes been able to go on the today show and do other interviews if the swimmers somehow can't?
Yes, I would agree - post competition interviews are boring. My understanding is that the schedule for the swimmers means they don't have the kind of time that other athletes do between competing. For example, the gymnasts have their session for the day & then they're done until two days later, but the top swimmers are going to be competing in multiple sessions a day on multiple days meaning that once they finish with the morning session (finals/semis) they go into recovery to be ready to swim the prelims in the evening.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Something about Michael Andrew really bothers me, but I can't figure out what it is

canbelto

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information