2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Seven (30 July)

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
Man, that game was intense! But the U.S. had an incredible goalie. She really won it for them, I think!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Well, as an update, USOPC says athletes are in fact not required to wear masks during interviews, so Michael Andrew has been cleared. According to the Swimswam comment section, this means the USOPC has seen past the liberal media smokescreen, so good for them I guess.

Although I did hear he's also been spotted in the ready room unmasked. What a shining beacon of Christ-like love.

In other news, there's also this powerful picture showing the US men's epee team, 3 of them wearing pink masks to show support to sexual assault victim, while standing next to their teammate Alen Hadzic who has been accused of sexual assault.

tony

But it just doesn't fcuking glide
Well it had to happen eventually. Ryan Murphy accuses swimmers of doping.

The article is junk. It says Rylov ‘declined’ to address Murphy’s claims in one paragraph and then a few paragraphs later, it says he did give a much more elaborate answer saying that Murphy didn’t specifically name him so he wasn’t sure what response they expected out of him. I also read elsewhere that Rylov acknowledged Murphy’s right to question things after all the problems of the past.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Murphy really comes off as sour grapes, but Rylov seems to be handling it well. I don't keep up with who's doping and who's not, but I don't like the way Murphy comes off here.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Just to show the double standards at play, Burundi’s Francine Niyonsaba who was forced to compete at 5000m due to World Athletics rulings on hyperandrogenist female athletes was disqualified for a Lane infringement. In a 5000m race.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
This is a 4x400 so being shit at baton passing isn’t so much of an issue as it is in a 4x100.

Ohhhhh, the US got DQed in a dry land relay? I thought they got DQed in a wet relay. This matters less to me now.

(I dunno why, but I’ve never followed athletics)

Matryeshka

I know it's not fair to the perfectly nice US athletes, and swimming is almost over anyway, but man, am I really starting to actively cheer for anyone but an American male. Seems to me like some federations used the extra year to their advantage, and the Americans were not one of them or were so arrogant they figured the rest of the world would never catch up?

Someone explain this weight qualification in rowing, the 125lb thing that forced the New Zealand #1 into an eating disorder? Why is this a thing in rowing? I understand weight classes in boxing and wrestling, but ROWING? WTF?

I'm catching up on yesterday's afternoon broadcast and I'm horrified. Why is it that World Athletics only cares about the "integrity" of women's sports when it involves black women who don't fall neatly into the traditional Barbie box?

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Just to show the double standards at play, Burundi’s Francine Niyonsaba who was forced to compete at 5000m due to World Athletics rulings on hyperandrogenist female athletes was disqualified for a Lane infringement. In a 5000m race.

Can you explain a little more about what this means? I know what the (complete trash, absolute bs) hyperandrogrogenist rules were and they need to be abolished yesterday, but how did that result in her being forced to compete at 5000m? Can anyone point me to an article? For some reason I had thought she just wasn’t allowed to compete.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Can you explain a little more about what this means? I know what the (complete trash, absolute bs) hyperandrogrogenist rules were and they need to be abolished yesterday, but how did that result in her being forced to compete at 5000m? Can anyone point me to an article? For some reason I had thought she just wasn’t allowed to compete.
The 5000m doesn't have a testosterone rule. It's only certain distances where certain athletes with naturally high testosterone do well.

MsZem

The rules only apply to distances between 400m and a mile, ostensibly because that's where the athletes have the greatest advantage (I wouldn't know). So the women affected can compete in longer or shorter distances - which of course are not necessarily their forte.

More on Francine's path to the Olympics here:
And her statement is here. It absolutely sucks that this happened to her.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
The rules only apply to distances between 400m and a mile, ostensibly because that's where the athletes have the greatest advantage (I wouldn't know). So the women affected can compete in longer or shorter distances - which of course are not necessarily their forte.

More on Francine's path to the Olympics here:
And her statement is here. It absolutely sucks that this happened to her.

This is SO messed up, I cannot even.

I'm not totally sure what to watch right now. The mixed coverage is showing me diving prelims and I feel like that's not the best thing I could be watching. Obviously it's like 3:45 am in Tokyo so nothing is actually happening, but hmmm.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Ohhhhh, the US got DQed in a dry land relay? I thought they got DQed in a wet relay. This matters less to me now.

(I dunno why, but I’ve never followed athletics)
The US gets disqualified in the 4x100 in athletics a lot because they are not used to racing as a team. Getting disqualified in the 4x400 is really rare as right handovers aren’t as important.

PS : The US is really good at athletics. ;)

Cachoo

The US gets disqualified in the 4x100 in athletics a lot because they are not used to racing as a team. Getting disqualified in the 4x400 is really rare as right handovers aren’t as important.

PS : The US is really good at athletics. ;)
You goober. :lol:

Susan1

Men's trampoline is on CNBC at 1:30 a.m. (Sat. a.m. here). That should be fun. I'll probably be awake again. I fell asleep during the swimming last night and woke up on the first note of the first floor exercise. Timing. Then I couldn't go back to sleep. Got to watch some BMX racing. Summer Olympics remind me of stuff we had to do in gym class and stuff we did after school and in backyards. When they were building up this subdivision, we used to ride bikes up and down the graded dirt lots of a street a couple blocks away. Me! Not exactly dangerous, but it was fun. I had to steal my friend's brother's bike because it had a banana seat and the high handlebars. hee hee

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information