2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day One (24 July)

Karen-W

I think I should have decided to become nocturnal for these games and I failed to commit.
I managed to get my boss to agree to NOT have me cover for anyone who is on PTO next week but there's no way I can be nocturnal and still work. I've also decided to save up some of my PTO for Beijing because skating's more important than the Summer Olympics.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I think I should have decided to become nocturnal for these games and I failed to commit.

Team No Sleep for the win!! :rofl:

BTW-I have to go back to work in my office on August 2nd but while I'm still working from home, I actually get up early enough every day that most of the important stuff (aka, the gymnastics for me) will be live while I'm working so I'll actually get to watch most of it without any issues. Not sure about my production with the actual work but at least my Olympics obsession will be fed very well for the next week or so, LOL :lol:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Just turned on the beach volleyball, and there is a bar at the bottom that says "Women's Beach Volleyball - Pool F (JPN vs CZE) will not proceed". Anyone know why?

skatingguy

Golden Team
Just turned on the beach volleyball, and there is a bar at the bottom that says "Women's Beach Volleyball - Pool F (JPN vs CZE) will not proceed". Anyone know why?
Positive test result.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/22/spor...czech-2020-tokyo-olympics-spt-intl/index.html

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
OMG what a final in the Women 10m Air Rifle, the russian girl leading aaaall the way until that final shot and she pulled a Matthew Emmons, shooting 8.9, though this new format saved her as she was in the final two and got the silver

First gold for CHINA!!

Bronze for Switzerland

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Cheering on the Namibian cyclist in the road race - he wasn't even supposed to race, he's the reserve for mountain biking! He is officially the "chaser" of the lead group but he's really falling back into the peleton but I think he's doing awesomely. Go Tristan go!

Karen-W

Cheering on the Namibian cyclist in the road race - he wasn't even supposed to race, he's the reserve for mountain biking! He is officially the "chaser" of the lead group but he's really falling back into the peleton but I think he's doing awesomely. Go Tristan go!
I'm semi-watching the fencing until the next MAG prelim starts. Apart from being a disgustingly jingoistic, rude 'Merikun who cheers for her own countrymen, I've been cheering against Russia, cheering for Egypt (except when against the US), cheering against China (who do you cheer for in the round of 16 when it's China v. China? lol) and even cheered for Iran because, well, it's the Olympics and they're not exactly some great sporting power though apparently they're not half-bad in fencing since all three of their men's sabre competitors made it to the round of 16.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Dan from Nam and the accidental time trial was one of the fun stories from Rio and now we have Tristan the accidental road racer in for Dan. :cheer2:Team Namibia!🇳🇦

The heat looks really sapping and so far not much attrition. And motor race circuits are never great for cycling, I think.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
They really gave that break a huge leash before snapping them back in like a rubber band. Not that the peloton doesn’t do that all the time, but 20 minutes is a big gap.

My friend who has never watched cycling before is texting me questions. I am enjoying explaining things like “what happens if they have to pee?” And “why are there feed zones?” And “what’s a neutral support?”

skatingguy

Golden Team
Dan from Nam and the accidental time trial was one of the fun stories from Rio and now we have Tristan the accidental road racer in for Dan. :cheer2:Team Namibia!🇳🇦

The heat looks really sapping and so far not much attrition. And motor race circuits are never great for cycling, I think.
I think that's just the start finish for the race - they've been up & down & all over - the road race is always such a great advertisement for a country's scenery.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
If this were a mountain top finish, Pogacar and North America would have a winning move, but they don’t have anywhere near the time for a descent.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
This course really has 30K of racing it does not need. Why is their a sprint at the end of this mountain race? If you’re going to do a mountain course, give me a mountain course! Have the balls to make it a mountain top finish! Don’t make the world’s best climbers comically sprint.

gingercrush

Ooh what a finish to the cycling. Go Ecuador. Well done Mexico in archery, Gold for South Korea. And woo Indonesia get a medal in the weightlifting. Looking forward to the swimming coming up around 1.5 hours time.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Carapaz!!!!! What a ride! I scared my cat trying to quietly cheer for him and not wake the neighbors.

I think I’ll give waking up for more gymnastics in two hours a miss. The US men suck, anyways. :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information