2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Nine (1 August)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Schedule

Medals to be won in Artistic Gymnastics, Athletics, Cycling BMX Freestyle, Diving, Fencing, Golf :yawn:, Sailing, Swimming, Tennis and Weightlifting.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Looking over the schedule and I have a rookie question. Do they really need 3 days for the women's gymnastic events? There are only four events and they seemed to manage doing all four when it came to team event and all around?

Amy L

Looking over the schedule and I have a rookie question. Do they really need 3 days for the women's gymnastic events? There are only four events and they seemed to manage doing all four when it came to team event and all around?

There are ten events total: 6 for men, 4 for women.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Part of the point of this is so that gymnasts can do their hardest skills without worrying about saving energy for other events. Also, like @Amy L said, it's 10 events, not 4, because they mix the men and women.

canbelto

It used to be that they were all done in one night. All the WAG events in one night, all MAG another night. They started splitting the events into two nights, and now it's three.

It's because gymnastics (especially WAG) is a popular sport and they want to stretch out the events. It used to be that week 1 was gymnastics and swimming and week 2 was track and the team sports finals.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There are ten events total: 6 for men, 4 for women.
I get that. I just mean four events for ladies spread out over three days seems a bit lame.
You get swimmers pulling out of events because of scheduling to focus on a particular race so it just looked odd to me in print.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It used to be that they were all done in one night. All the WAG events in one night, all MAG another night. They started splitting the events into two nights, and now it's three.

It's because gymnastics (especially WAG) is a popular sport and they want to stretch out the events. It used to be that week 1 was gymnastics and swimming and week 2 was track and the team sports finals.

I did notice, to my dismay, that the channels I have access to stopped showing swimming when the track and gym started overlapping so I am reduced to swimming finals on youtube :(

And I can't for the life of me figure out why our state channel thought it was a good idea to air golf...

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Watching the equestrian - it's cross country day. Sweden just took a terrifying tumble :yikes:

misskarne

Oops, and Ireland just knocked over a jump. 11 penalty points for knocking one over :yikes:

misskarne

Belarus horse with one big NO and one "wait I am not going forward until I have a look" so far. Oops.

michalle

Rhythmic gymnastics of many varieties (individual, group, hopefully men's one day :) ). I want to see that fun other kind make it into the Olympics sometime too - not the aerobic one, the acrobatic one maybe? I watched some on YouTube a couple years ago and became obsessed.

THIS ONE: watch

ryanj07

I’m getting sad now lol. I wish they had swimming and gymnastics in separate weeks so I didn’t feel like The Olympics ended so abruptly for me. I just can’t get into the track and field stuff.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I’m getting sad now lol. I wish they had swimming and gymnastics in separate weeks so I didn’t feel like The Olympics ended so abruptly for me. I just can’t get into the track and field stuff.

Saaaaame. Now I just have to find more weird stuff.

misskarne

Serious question here: how do you ship horses during a pan de mic?
The same way you ship them prior to the plague. They fly in their super special boxes as cargo.

I think the FEI put up a nifty video showing the horses being shipped into Japan. It was pretty neat.

misskarne

Oh no! Thailand comes off, and the rider looks hurt - he got stepped on.

Lara

It's JJ style!
Ahhh, Puerto Rico with the DNF. :(

Equestrian? :( Not been much to cheer about yet for PR (our 800m runners blew out in the heats yesterday) but will be a wreck when Camacho Quinn goes in semis/hopefully finals of the 100 hurdles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information