2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Minus One (22 July)

Sylvia

U.S. Qualifying season is underway!
Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
USA are leading 1-0 over Canada in the softball. A really great, tight game so far, worth watching.

misskarne

Well, USA won, but I'm not sure they deserved to, after the blatant blocking of the plate by their catcher.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Mexico pushed Japan to the eight inning and even though they had bases loaded with 2 outs we lost that match in the end :(

Japan 3-2 Mexico

The good news is that the team looked completely different than against the Canadian team less than 24 hours later, but the lack of big scenario experience showed and mexicans did not close the deal when they got full house and needed to score just ONE run.

Now I hope they get a big boost confidence because they really looked great and Japan suffered against them. Now Mexico has to go for the rest of the 3 games in the round robin, Gold/Silver medal is almost out of sight but still could fight for the bronze

Karen-W

Mexico pushed Japan to the eight inning and even though they had bases loaded with 2 outs we lost that match in the end :(

Japan 3-2 Mexico

The good news is that the team looked completely different than against the Canadian team less than 24 hours later, but the lack of big scenario experience showed and mexicans did not close the deal when they got full house and needed to score just ONE run.

Now I hope they get a big boost confidence because they really looked great and Japan suffered against them. Now Mexico has to go for the rest of the 3 games in the round robin, Gold/Silver medal is almost out of sight but still could fight for the bronze
Mexico played hard and I was rooting for them to pull off the upset.

misskarne

Could Australia pull off an upset against Argentina? The Olyroos are up 1-0 in the 74th minute! And Argentina are down to 10 men!

(That said, I've just put the soccer on after watching rugby league...dear god this is slow and boring. People watch this all the time? For fun?)

misskarne

AUSTRALIA SCORE AGAIN! Marko Tilio hits the back of the net!

2-0 in the 80th minute!

misskarne

And they do it! Australia defeats Argentina 2-0!!!

And with the Spirit beating Italy 1-0 in the softball earlier, this wraps up a superb Day -1 for Australia! :cheer:

Karen-W

Just woke up and saw the last 15 min or so of the Egypt-Spain men's soccer game. Egypt played well and the game ended in an 0-0 draw. Spain missed some heartbreaking scoring opportunities near the end but Egypt certainly seems like a scrappy team.

And, I agree, @misskarne - soccer is, IMO, usually one of the most deadly boring games to watch. But, then again, I have a coworker who adores the sport (played it as a kid) and she doesn't understand how I can watch baseball/softball and not be utterly bored, lol.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
The one thing football/soccer has in its favour over boresball is that there are usually only two halves. No one needs nine innings of any sport. :p

MsZem

The one thing football/soccer has in its favour over boresball is that there are usually only two halves. No one needs nine innings of any sport. :p
Innings are (generally) shorter though. And baseball games don't end in scoreless draws ;)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Why not skip the second half and/or extra time and proceed directly to the penalties? That would be exciting!
I fully concur! :D

Have to say I find most team sports dull apart from indoor volleyball for some reason. :shuffle:

Did watch the final Olympic qualifier for Rugby Sevens and that was good to watch given that it’s only 7 minutes a side. :lol:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Baseball is only interesting watching in person. The snacks and company of friends help. :lol:
I found it painful in person. It felt unnecessarily long just to accommodate for commercials. I left after a few innings.
I prefer fast paced team sports.

skategal

Bunny mama
I found it painful in person. It felt unnecessarily long just to accommodate for commercials. I left after a few innings.
I prefer fast paced team sports.
Most games I’ve watched have not been major league games (minor farm teams so no commercial breaks.)

I’m sure that helps keep the pace going.

I much prefer it to in person football.

In person hockey is great though and If you like fast-paced check out indoor lacrosse. It is the best.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Love watching baseball in person. I love Miller Park, or whatever they call it now, because you can walk around on the concourse and still see some action (if anything happens.)

American Football, otoh, is best watched on TV. I need replays!

Basketball and hockey are good wherever you watch from, if those sports are your thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information