2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Fourteen (6 August)

Susan1

Misc.

Rhythmic gymnastics was on at 4 a.m. on USA. I recorded the next scheduled block from 5 a.m. to whenever to watch later. They need better camera work on the groups. They look like ants, you can't see the hoops. Most of the screen is taken up by empty bleachers to ceiling. Argh.

I like watching the artistic swimming underwater.

I was wondering if the horses like to compete when there aren't crowds in the stands. I would think they could concentrate better.

Sidebar -
Plus, how do you decide which events? One baton, 2 or 3 batons, flag, hoop, X-strut, Twirl-strut (they used to call this event Parade Majorette), Show twirl.... And that just the individual events!

Well, I was just kidding. What about fire batons! But they could divide the disciplines like they do rhythmic gymnastics. And they wouldn't have to do everything. Plus they could do teams. My baton teacher made me try out for majorette. Fortunately I did not make it. It was just for 9th grade and all of the junior high majorettes got picked to continue. I did not want to have to go to band camp with a bunch of snobs. (I came from a small Catholic school.) I did not want to march in the rain and the cold at football games and all. And then in 10th grade, no longer taking baton lessons, I'm in driver's ed and one of the flag corps girls said she was quitting and she would teach me all of her routines so I could try out for next year. What is it with people wanting me to perform outside in bad weather. ha ha Nopers. I was only in one recital in grade school. And two contests. Too much trouble and expense. And performing in front of people. I did go with my baton teacher to teach classes at the YMCA back then. She was in college and was the high school head majorette. I was the demonstrator, while she instructed. So fun. If my fingers worked, I could still do the routines (almost 50 years ago). I still have my baton.

Karina1974

Misc.

Rhythmic gymnastics was on at 4 a.m. on USA. I recorded the next scheduled block from 5 a.m. to whenever to watch later. They need better camera work on the groups. They look like ants, you can't see the hoops. Most of the screen is taken up by empty bleachers to ceiling. Argh.

I like watching the artistic swimming underwater.

I was wondering if the horses like to compete when there aren't crowds in the stands. I would think they could concentrate better.

Sidebar -

Well, I was just kidding. What about fire batons! But they could divide the disciplines like they do rhythmic gymnastics. And they wouldn't have to do everything. Plus they could do teams. My baton teacher made me try out for majorette. Fortunately I did not make it. It was just for 9th grade and all of the junior high majorettes got picked to continue. I did not want to have to go to band camp with a bunch of snobs. (I came from a small Catholic school.) I did not want to march in the rain and the cold at football games and all. And then in 10th grade, no longer taking baton lessons, I'm in driver's ed and one of the flag corps girls said she was quitting and she would teach me all of her routines so I could try out for next year. What is it with people wanting me to perform outside in bad weather. ha ha Nopers. I was only in one recital in grade school. And two contests. Too much trouble and expense. And performing in front of people. I did go with my baton teacher to teach classes at the YMCA back then. She was in college and was the high school head majorette. I was the demonstrator, while she instructed. So fun. If my fingers worked, I could still do the routines (almost 50 years ago). I still have my baton.
I never twirled fire (you need a permit to do that, even outside, where I live, so if my former coach wanted to hold an outdoor clinic she'd have to get a permit), but I did find a safer, and more spectacular, alternative. There's a company called FlowToys that developed LED technology and implemented it into different hand props, like juggling clubs, contact staffs, and poi, and... batons!!! The LED pods fit into the ends of the batons, and they have something like 60 different color patterns you can program. They charge via micro-USB. I bought two of them, at $180 each, and I'm really tempted to go back to the dance/batonschool I attended for 12 years and ask them if they want a featured twirler, at least, for the one night-time parade they do at Christmas.

I still occasionally practice basics in my living room, mostly throws over my sofa. I have a cathedral ceiling in my apartment, so... ;)

Susan1

I never twirled fire (you need a permit to do that, even outside, where I live, so if my former coach wanted to hold an outdoor clinic she'd have to get a permit), but I did find a safer, and more spectacular, alternative. There's a company called FlowToys that developed LED technology and implemented it into different hand props, like juggling clubs, contact staffs, and poi, and... batons!!! The LED pods fit into the ends of the batons, and they have something like 60 different color patterns you can program. They charge via micro-USB. I bought two of them, at $180 each, and I'm really tempted to go back to the dance/batonschool I attended for 12 years and ask them if they want a featured twirler, at least, for the one night-time parade they do at Christmas.

I still occasionally practice basics in my living room, mostly throws over my sofa. I have a cathedral ceiling in my apartment, so... ;)
That sounds pretty. No tosses or rolls for me anymore. I bruise even if I lean on something for very long. :rolleyes:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I twirled fire. You just have to keep it moving. I had a friend who would do 3 fire batons at once though. I maxed out at two. Haha.

Karina1974

That sounds pretty. No tosses or rolls for me anymore. I bruise even if I lean on something for very long. :rolleyes:
I WANT to learn to do harder rolls now. I hated doing them before, (I liked doing high tosses!), but after watching hours of advanced competitors on YouTube, I want to learn how to do them.

This isn't the same baton I have, because the whole thing is illuminated and mine are only lit on the ends, but it gives you an idea of what the lit batons look like. FlowToys does make a completely illuminated baton as well, but it is WAY out of my price range! IIRC it's $400... each. FT is a good company. I also bought two set of poi from them, one set is also lit by LED.

Last edited:

Karina1974

I twirled fire. You just have to keep it moving. I had a friend who would do 3 fire batons at once though. I maxed out at two. Haha.
If you have Facebook look up Karrissa Wimberley. She is the QUEEN of fire twirling IMO.

My dance teacher (her mom was also my twirling teacher) used to twirl fire... blindfolded.

Karrissa also posted the video that brought the FlowToys Lumina baton to my attention!

Susan1

I WANT to learn to do harder rolls now. I hated doing them before, (I liked doing high tosses!), but after watching hours of advanced competitors on YouTube, I want to learn how to do them.

This isn't the same baton I have, because the whole thing is illuminated and mine are only lit on the ends, but it gives you an idea of what the lit batons look like. FlowToys does make a completely illuminated baton as well, but it is WAY out of my price range! IIRC it's $400... each. FT is a good company. I also bought two set of poi from them, one set is also lit by LED.

Whoa! Pretty.

Considering I practically knocked myself out a few times learning a "continuous" (you all probably called them something else later, but that sticks with me - elbow rolls to around the neck), I don't want my last words to be "I just wanted to see if I could still......OW!". :)

I only took baton for 2 years - 11 to 13. If I would have started earlier like everybody else................

Karina1974

Whoa! Pretty.

Considering I practically knocked myself out a few times learning a "continuous" (you all probably called them something else later, but that sticks with me - elbow rolls to around the neck), I don't want my last words to be "I just wanted to see if I could still......OW!". :)

I only took baton for 2 years - 11 to 13. If I would have started earlier like everybody else................
I didn't start formal lessons until I was 11. I taught myself the basics from library books, and my 1st baton was a curtain rod. I was in the beginner class for about 2 weeks before being switched to a higher level class.

I would have probably gone a lot farther in the sport had the school I went to only taught baton instead of also teaching dance and acrobatics, and had more teachers than just the mom and daughter duo who've been running it since the founder (husband/dad) passed in 1980 (the school was founded in 1954). You wanted private lessons, you were duking it out for scheduling with all the " competition solo" dance/acro students.

But, I stuck with it until I was 23 and attending college out of the area, still doing show twirling and parade/majorette team performing.

Susan1

I didn't start formal lessons until I was 11. I taught myself the basics from library books, and my 1st baton was a curtain rod. I was in the beginner class for about 2 weeks before being switched to a higher level class.

I would have probably gone a lot farther in the sport had the school I went to only taught baton instead of also teaching dance and acrobatics, and had more teachers than just the mom and daughter duo who've been running it since the founder (husband/dad) passed in 1980 (the school was founded in 1954). You wanted private lessons, you were duking it out for scheduling with all the " competition solo" dance/acro students.

But, I stuck with it until I was 23 and attending college out of the area, still doing show twirling and parade/majorette team performing.
I was thinking earlier - I would not have been any better if I would have started earlier. I was never coordinated. I didn't put on a pair of ice skates till I was in college. In 9th grade, I literally fell off the balance beam SITTING on it in gym class. I was trying to get my bony butt comfortable and my foot got caught on the support. Plop! Good thing there was a mat. Everybody had to pick an apparatus. I bounced around on the trampoline for a couple minutes. And I made up "female problems". I think I failed that part of gym class. Fortunately, we only had to take gym half of one year. But, there's my not wanting to be the center of attention. They had a full size bouncy house and a crazy slide by the mall for awhile. I was doing flips in there when I was about 10 years old. But I couldn't do that in class, especially after sitting on the beam and falling off. Sheesh.

I never had any encouragement. I was not competitive and I didn't like being the center of attention (still not). My dad wanted me to take piano lessons, but I didn't want to do that in front of someone. Or be ridiculed. He made me quit baton when I didn't make majorette. Waste of money and driving me to and from a half hour lesson every week for no future.

My baton teacher, Becky, started teaching at her house when she was in high school. When she was going to UD (Dayton) she got lesson space at Sharon Kaye's Academy, who also taught dance. That's the one recital I was in. I got private lessons for the semi-private cost because I helped Becky at the YMCA. She even took me with her to the drum and bugle corps practices she was a majorette in, the Conquistadors. That was so cool. Little 12 year old me, hanging out with college kids.

CantALoop

All this and brains too
pentathlon should replace the equestrian with some other athletics sport.
That poor German lady all her efforts were crushed just because of a spooked and uncooperative horse.
I would be spooked and uncooperative too if I had just been whipped and kicked and then subjected to even more whipping and spurs later. Poor Saint Boy was probably thinking "Oh god, she's on my back again! Get her off!"

I'm going to say something controversial yet brave - I think the equestrian part is the most exciting part of the modern pentathlon.

I rather like the random element of misfortune falling upon people who lack simpatico with animals and underestimate their intelligence :2faced:

That being said, maybe there's a way to keep the chaotic and stochastic nature of the equestrian portion with an animal that's less prone to being spooked and emotionally harmed.

Maybe instead of horses, they could release a gaggle of ornery geese to chase the athletes during the laser run. They already combined shooting with running, why not add animals to the mix? :EVILLE: :gallopin1

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Anyone see Dude, where's my car? The ostriches looked pretty scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information