2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Fourteen (6 August)

Cachoo

Maybe my favorite story so far in this Olympiad is Japan's women's basketball team. On paper they should have been an early out. Their tallest player is 6'1"---they do not have the b-ball tradition of the Americas, Europe or the emerging scene in Africa. They don't have a venue full of Japanese fans cheering for the home team. And yet here they are. They play a style of basketball I've not seen in a long time. It is like they took a how-to book from the 50's---before incredible athleticism took over the game---and applied those lessons. And it is working! They distribute the ball beautifully and play in-your-face (or in-your-chest) defense. And now they play for a gold medal. I am so impressed.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Allyson Felix is an amazing athlete, but she has only actually won one individual Olympic title. :shuffle:

allezfred

Staff member
No need to dive across the line this time for Shaunae Miller-Uibo 🇧🇸

S

SmallFairy

It's just like the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA). Randomly draw a horse, hop on, go jump a course (or do a flat class), hop off. No warm up (someone else warms up the horse), just go in the ring and show. I did it for 4 years (only jumped for 2 years), but it's scary! Some people love it. Looking back, I'd never do it again...
You’re a brave soul, I could never do such a thing😅

allezfred

Staff member
Faith Kipyegon 🇰🇪 retains her 1500m title in an Olympic record. Laura Muir 🇬🇧 second and Sifan Hassan 🇳🇱 third.

Lara

It's JJ style!
Very happy for Muir!

No triple for Hassan but still very impressive. Congrats to Kipyegon.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I just finished watching the replay of the men's 10m preliminary diving. Yang Jian did a front 4 1/2 pike! The difficulty in men's diving is ridiculous.
Our second Canadian Rylan Wiens missed qualifiying by 0.1 - so heartbreaking :( Nathan Zsombor-Murray was solidly in 5th but he doesn't really have the difficulty to challenge for a medal.
There are so many good divers in this field. The final should be really exciting.

Cachoo

So, I take it that Allyson is a mom…..

Sorry if I’ve come across as too snarky about this, but there are other parents competing here. Including Kipyegon 🇰🇪 - I believe her daughter is around three years old now. And Kipyegon probably logs 70-90 miles a week in training

I think we just really like Allyson. Some people are so loveable. It isn't a knock on anyone else.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I feel like it's maybe time to modernize the modern pentathlon. Seriously, what a bizarre mix of events.
Apparently, the head of the international modern pentathlon sports fed, or the previous head, is SUPER well connected.

Remember when they tried to drop wrestling from the Olympics? Modern pentathlon was barely threatened with removal. That should tell you something.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Four extra minutes in regulation time in the soccer game but the men's relay is about to start. This is too much LOL

danafan

Canadian ladies über
What an exciting finish in the men's relay! Italy just sneaks ahead of Great Britain at the end and Canada gets bronze! DeGrasse has won a medal in every Olympic event he's entered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information